Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How fast do you drive compared to the speed limit?
1-5 Under the Posted Speed Limit 1 0.69%
5+ Under the Posted Speed Limit 0 0%
I try and do the axact Posted Speed limit as much as possible 4 2.78%
1-5 Over the Posted Speed Limit 27 18.75%
5-10 Over the Posted Speed Limit 79 54.86%
10-20 Over the Posted Speed Limit 23 15.97%
I drive it like I stole it all day everyday 10 6.94%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #61
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How fast do you drive

depends on the state. in pa 5 over, in va 7 over. on the interstate. around town flow of traffic or speed limit whichever is safer
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #62
Cyclone

On the highway, I'm usually 10-20 km/h over the limit ( 100km/h = 60mph ).

Around town, I try to stay bang on the limit but find myself drifting a tad higher on occasion.

Here in BC, they have implemented new laws: If you are caught going 40+km/h (25mph) over the limit, your car is automatically impounded for 1 week...
Plus, you get a minimum fine of $360
Plus, you get hit with an extra $320/year for 3 years when you renew your auto insurance. We have government controlled auto-insurance, so it is tightly integrated with the Motor Vehicles Branch that controls the laws, etc.

So that 40+ will, at a minimum, cost you around $1320. If your speeding ticket is higher, factor that in. Also factor in, the cost of having your car stored at a towing yard for a week.

I fully agree with these rules for a$$holes speeding in the city but on the highway, you really have to keep track of the posted speed limits... If there is a construction zone posted @ 80km/h and you hit it doing 120km/h, you are screwed if a cop is around.

Drinking and driving was also reduced to 0.05 at the same time... The rules are even more draconian if you are caught.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #63
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

I don't get passed much.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #64
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
On the highway, I'm usually 10-20 km/h over the limit ( 100km/h = 60mph ).

Around town, I try to stay bang on the limit but find myself drifting a tad higher on occasion.

Here in BC, they have implemented new laws: If you are caught going 40+km/h (25mph) over the limit, your car is automatically impounded for 1 week...
Plus, you get a minimum fine of $360
Plus, you get hit with an extra $320/year for 3 years when you renew your auto insurance. We have government controlled auto-insurance, so it is tightly integrated with the Motor Vehicles Branch that controls the laws, etc.

So that 40+ will, at a minimum, cost you around $1320. If your speeding ticket is higher, factor that in. Also factor in, the cost of having your car stored at a towing yard for a week.

I fully agree with these rules for a$$holes speeding in the city but on the highway, you really have to keep track of the posted speed limits... If there is a construction zone posted @ 80km/h and you hit it doing 120km/h, you are screwed if a cop is around.

Drinking and driving was also reduced to 0.05 at the same time... The rules are even more draconian if you are caught.
.05, man that is nothing....literally.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #65
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I cannot confirm nor deny any habits of excessive forward motion at any instances at this time, per the suggestions of legal counsel.
Safe and alert driving is paramount, and it is better to be slightly aggressive in driving and passing at all times, with proper lane use and observation of road and traffic conditions.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #66
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Yeah, that's baseline for me.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #67
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
depends on the state. in pa 5 over, in va 7 over. on the interstate. around town flow of traffic or speed limit whichever is safer
Last time I went through PA I saw signs along the Turnpike stating that they monitor speed by aircraft.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #68
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Looking at a beer wrong will put you over that...

AS far as how fast I drive. I have my 2 little ones with me most of the time (one is 3 years and the other is 3 months old), so I drive right at the speed limit, or no faster than 5 over.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #69
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I drive a V8......any questions?
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #70
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

To qualify my .05, in Michigan if you have a concealed pistol license (CPL), the maximum BAC (when carrying) allowed is .02 which is often legally defined as "any detectable alcohol content".
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #71
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I'm usually chilling like a villian.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #72
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Depends on where I am driving. On the interstates or 4 lane divided roads - 5 to 20 over and maybe even a tad more. In residential areas - right at the posted speed limit with no more than 1 or 2 over.

Ron
Same way, pretty much. I set my cruise at 10 miles over on the highway. In residential areas, at the speed limit or considerably lower depending on what's going on around me.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #73
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Depending on where I am in town, 5-10 over.

If I'm on the interstate, it is usually 15-20 over (police officers are VERY understaffed here).

If I'm in Red Bank (15 speed cameras in about 10 square miles), then I'm doing 5 under with everyone else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #74
BluesGuy

Looks like I'm the only old pokey ass...1 to 5 under...always in the slow lane though, does wonders for my gas mileage....more money for baccy.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 AM   #75
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Looking at a beer wrong will put you over that...
One of the local BOTL has a portable breathalyzer...

I can't speak to how accurate it is... but I had 3 x 12oz beers between 5pm and 9pm and blew .03

I weigh 194lb and am 6'1". I ate pizza during that time as well.

I typically will only have 2 beers when I go out to a herf.

As for driving with my 4 year old son... Some days he nags me that the cops are going to give me a ticket and other days he's egging me on: "Lightning McQueen, Daddy, Lightning McQueen!"

Last edited by Cyclone; 10-13-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: because
Old 10-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #76
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

speed limit laws are point less. on the interstate no one should be going over 30 in thick fog and black ice, but if it is sunny clear and dry why can't we go 100 or more? the basic speed rule should be in effect, and slow asses should drive in the right lane and leave the left lanes for those who want to pass and drive faster. speed laws are just as foolish as drunk driving laws. the focus should be on reckless drivers.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #77
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

My car don't know slow.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #78
Kyle Hunter
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (0)
Kyle Hunter is on a distinguished road

These days I usually follow the limit in town and I am 7 over on the highways. This hasn't always been the case tho when I had my Supra or a running Bike . . they've both seen speeds that easily double limits many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullnrose View Post
I'm usually in the 5-10 over group. I do notice though when smoking a cigar and driving I drive slower.
I have noticed the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Last time I went through PA I saw signs along the Turnpike stating that they monitor speed by aircraft.
Yep been boned by that on the bike once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
speed limit laws are point less. on the interstate no one should be going over 30 in thick fog and black ice, but if it is sunny clear and dry why can't we go 100 or more? the basic speed rule should be in effect, and slow asses should drive in the right lane and leave the left lanes for those who want to pass and drive faster. speed laws are just as foolish as drunk driving laws. the focus should be on reckless drivers.
Too many dumb people in the states for that and not a serious enough form driver's education.
Kyle Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #79
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
They do that here as well...

In the past 3 weeks, the RCMP Air 1 helicopter was instrumental in nailing 2 Hell's Angels and 2 crotch rocket riders.

The crotch rocket riders were clocked at 125 mph on the highway and 80+ mph in school zones! That was today!
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...cle-crash.html

All of them will have their rides seized for a minimum of 1 week and are getting nailed with >$1400 fines.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #80
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

80 MPH in a school zone? They should have their rides seized for a minimum of forever.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote