Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Verde Shredded Chicken Tacos

I came up with this a few months ago when I realized I didn't have the ingredients for what I'd planned on making for dinner and it was pouring rain so I didn't feel like going to the store. Since then I've made it several times, sometimes smoking the thighs on the Weber. But I think the crock pot makes it best.

Ingredients
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of most fat
- 6 oz medium salsa verde
- 15 oz can low sodium Pinto beans.
- 1/2 onion, sliced in "fajita-sized" pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced in "fajita-sized" pieces
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 small lime
- S&P
- Sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and taco shells or tortillas

Directions
1) Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with S&P. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken, about 3-4 minutes on both sides.
2) Put chicken in crock pot and pour salsa verde over chicken. Set skillet aside, but do NOT drain it. Cook chicken on low heat for four hours.
3) Using a pair of tongs or a couple of forks, shred the chicken right in the crock pot. It should fall apart rather easily.
4) Open beans and pour off the liquid on top of the beans. Then empty the can of beans and remaining juices into the crock pot and stir to combine well. Cook for twenty minutes or until beans are heated through.
5) Heat skillet over high heat. Season the onion, pepper, and mushrooms with S&P and saute in pan, moving often, until starting to brown, about two or three minutes. Add to crock pot along with the lime juice and stir to combine.
6) Serve in taco shells or tortillas with sour cream and shredded cheddar, hot sauce on the side.