Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #481
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
CoastGuard (Active)
Shawn hines will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rolling your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
In my research I came across a couple examples of cuban rollers using newspaper instead of a press. All you have to do is cut a long strip of newspaper about 3" wide and then, after you apply the binder, with the paper at an 75* angle, roll the cigar up tight in the strip of paper as if adding a second binder. When done, twist both ends of paper and let it rest 45 minutes. I was able to get a lancero shape this way and was surprised at how tight the bunch had become. It was as if I had taken it out of a press. Keep in mind that I haven't tried one of these cigars yet so I don't know about any potential draw issues, but they feel solid. Sorry, didn't take pics this time. I'll post some from my next roll.
Very interesting, I would love to see some videos of how to do it and how they come out. When you fire one up let us know how it burns.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #482
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
In my research I came across a couple examples of cuban rollers using newspaper instead of a press. All you have to do is cut a long strip of newspaper about 3" wide and then, after you apply the binder, with the paper at an 75* angle, roll the cigar up tight in the strip of paper as if adding a second binder. When done, twist both ends of paper and let it rest 45 minutes. I was able to get a lancero shape this way and was surprised at how tight the bunch had become. It was as if I had taken it out of a press. Keep in mind that I haven't tried one of these cigars yet so I don't know about any potential draw issues, but they feel solid. Sorry, didn't take pics this time. I'll post some from my next roll.
I swear I've seen a video of this somewhere, but for the life of me cannot remember where.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #483
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

Giving a review on Roxy's tonight with a friend

Roxy review
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #484
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

well we are settled in the new apt. She let me have the spare room as the "cigar room" for storing and rolling, not smoking (that is for outside) I got the new mold and turned out 10 of each today. the new size is a "40 x5.5" but with a wrapper i believe it will be right around 42. i can't wait to try them. I was very careful on how much filler i used making sure that they will not be packed too tight

BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #485
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Just got my mold in today, a 6x50 round cap mold. Now just waiting on my tobacco which should have been here by now. Both the mold and the tobacco were sent from Ohio, the mold was sent a day and a half later and has already showed up, yet no sign of the tobacco. Hopefully it'll get in tomorrow and I can have my first batch of trial blends by Monday.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #486
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Just got my mold in today, a 6x50 round cap mold. Now just waiting on my tobacco which should have been here by now. Both the mold and the tobacco were sent from Ohio, the mold was sent a day and a half later and has already showed up, yet no sign of the tobacco. Hopefully it'll get in tomorrow and I can have my first batch of trial blends by Monday.
did you order from Wholeleaftobacco? show us some pics when you get it in. i want to see the quality and if they prepped it at all.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #487
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Tip of the hat to you "roll your own" gents! That's really neat! hummm....maybe someday.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #488
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
did you order from Wholeleaftobacco? show us some pics when you get it in. i want to see the quality and if they prepped it at all.
Yea, thats where I placed my order. The guy was helpful and responsive so I'm not too worried, but still, even with USPS it shouldn't take this long, as proven by my mold shipment. If I can steal a camera from one of my roommates I'll do so as I don't have one currently.

Oh, and how long do you typically leave them in the mold for? 24 hours or just overnight?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #489
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
well we are settled in the new apt. She let me have the spare room as the "cigar room" for storing and rolling, not smoking (that is for outside) I got the new mold and turned out 10 of each today. the new size is a "40 x5.5" but with a wrapper i believe it will be right around 42. i can't wait to try them. I was very careful on how much filler i used making sure that they will not be packed too tight

These sound perfect for a short winter smoke. I'm still down for a fiver when you get some quantity made
Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #490
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Well just got the order in, it was shipped UPS, so I guess it got delivered earlier this evening and they never bothered to knock. Any who, looks good, and he threw in a small bag of perique to play around with(though it'll most likely get chopped up and used for my pipes). It all looks good, pending what Don says about the Dark Air Cured leaves I got(both the seco and ligero showed up with white splotches all over them that aren't mold, but look more like something was sprayed onto the leaf itself). I'll post pics in the morning after I get a response from Don and have a chance to unpack everything. I'll probably have my first few thrown in the mold before I head up to Empire to watch some football.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #491
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Whelp, that was a quick response. Don claims its "frog eye" and after a few minutes googling up on it, it certainly does sound and look the same, so problem solved. I'll have pictures up and my first few rolls done in the morning.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #492
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Better set aside a couple of those coronas for me, Drew...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #493
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

I got you covered Dan,

And as far as time in the mold, I do an hour, turn 1/4 and let them sit another hour. If the binder is on the moist side will let them sit in the mold for a day.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #494
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

First five are wrapped and ready for smoking. Gonna let them sit out and dry out some more, but I should be able to find a good blend with these. Ironically, the first one I wrapped definitely looks the best.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #495
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
First five are wrapped and ready for smoking. Gonna let them sit out and dry out some more, but I should be able to find a good blend with these. Ironically, the first one I wrapped definitely looks the best.
What is it that is said here??? O yeah Need pictures..LOL

Congrats can't wait to see them
Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #496
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn hines View Post
What is it that is said here??? O yeah Need pictures..LOL

Congrats can't wait to see them
Gotta get a camera first.

Tried 3 of my five blends, had 2 using the TN90 seco, first was with 3 half ligero leaves and ended up being too light and you couldn't taste the filler over the broadleaf so I put it down after an inch(imagine a FdO wrapped in broadleaf), the second was much better with 8 half leaves, I'll probably make a few with 10 tomorrow as I can tell it will taste better with more. The one with the Dark Air Cured seco was good on the first I tried, with 6 half leaves of ligero. It reminded me a lot of the La Casita Criollas, with just that distinct broadleaf flavor with a nice earthy undertone.

Just got done with de-stemming all the ligero and TN90 seco. I'll de-stem all the DAC seco tomorrow at work(assuming my boss doesn't yell at me for bringing my rolling set up with me).
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #497
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

well i got to do some rolling today. I will finish the rest this evening. on the right you can see the petit corona (x2 maddie with the QB52 binder and maduro wrapper), then the corona extra (with QB52 binder and Havana CT wrapper, and on the right the Robusto (which is the double maddie)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #498
backwoods357
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jorgen
Trading: (14)
backwoods357 will become famous soon enough

Andrew, those look awesome.

Bear, so frog eye is some kind of a fungus?
I know literally nothing about tobacco maladies, so I did a little googling. I am familiar with water spots and the green marks sometimes called frog eye, but frog eye seems to be a fungus:
Frog eye: http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/deta...imgnum=1440028
Weather fleck: http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/deta...imgnum=1402062
Maybe frog eye is just a loose term.

It really is so cool to see so many brothers getting into rolling.
backwoods357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #499
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods357 View Post
Andrew, those look awesome.

Bear, so frog eye is some kind of a fungus?
I know literally nothing about tobacco maladies, so I did a little googling. I am familiar with water spots and the green marks sometimes called frog eye, but frog eye seems to be a fungus:
Frog eye: http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/deta...imgnum=1440028
Weather fleck: http://www.ipmimages.org/browse/deta...imgnum=1402062
Maybe frog eye is just a loose term.

It really is so cool to see so many brothers getting into rolling.
Did some google-fu of my own and was lead to believe that is was the result of too much nitrogen in the soil(or too little, one of the two )
Old 01-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #500
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Drew finally kicked a month long cold and started back to sticks last night ..... Some milagro and those roxys you sent me... Simply awesome even burn good draw and awesome flavor my buddy couldnt believe they were from a home roller.... Ill be ordering some more as soon as i finish these 5 since i have no room thanks
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote