Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 AM   #21
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Lighter Fix Tips

I have one particular PB-207 I've given up on and just last week I placed it back in it's box and threw in the towel.

It ignites, flames nicely for a second or two, sputters, and dies on a consistent basis. I've purged it. I've blown it out with compressed air. I use Vector 5x refined fuel. I've adjusted it every which way. It's been back to the factory during the warranty period, which is now expired. It's just a bad apple.

Luckily my other two PB-207s work fine.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #22
Wingfan13

The thing that seems to happen with ALL of my lighters is that the flame will light and sputter out right away. I have done everything and can't seem to figure out why it happens.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
madurolover
That's what she said

Trading: (0)
madurolover is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine met a lady that works for one of the lighter companies. She told him that when filling your lighter you should adjust the flame "all the way up". She said after filling to click it a couple of times and then adjust to your regular setting. She said that when you open it that it let's anything inside the tank go into the valve and then the pressure of lighting wide open will blow it out.

If all else fails just get a Ronson Jet-Lite
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
A friend of mine met a lady that works for one of the lighter companies. She told him that when filling your lighter you should adjust the flame "all the way up". She said after filling to click it a couple of times and then adjust to your regular setting. She said that when you open it that it let's anything inside the tank go into the valve and then the pressure of lighting wide open will blow it out....
Great tip!
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
madurolover
That's what she said

madurolover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
Great tip!
Mark I started not to post it because it is just what I was told but I figure if it really does work then it would be great info to have. Maybe someone has an old cheapie they can test this on. I would think that after a while one would know if it truly does work or not.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
Waynegro1

Excellent job Mark, great post.
Question, I'n the past I was always told to shake the butane before filling your lighter. Now I've been reading that this is a BAD method. Don't shake the butane can before lighting they tell me. Any ideas? I understand the concept of both methods, but which do you guys suggest? I've pretty much followed Marks post down the line for some time now, so, I've had minimal lighter problems. Just curious about "Shake, NO SHAKE".
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #27
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
Excellent job Mark, great post.
Question, I'n the past I was always told to shake the butane before filling your lighter. Now I've been reading that this is a BAD method. Don't shake the butane can before lighting they tell me. Any ideas? I understand the concept of both methods, but which do you guys suggest? I've pretty much followed Marks post down the line for some time now, so, I've had minimal lighter problems. Just curious about "Shake, NO SHAKE".
I have never had adverse affects of doing either (I'm a shaker) but have tried not shaking and never noticed a difference.

I believe the the difference would be seen in fuel that hasn't been refined as much (3x and less) but that's my best guess (16+ years of smoking cigars).

I hope this helps

~Mark

N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
RichieBklyn
I'm going to smoke...

First Name: Richie bklyn
Bolivar
RichieBklyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
A friend of mine met a lady that works for one of the lighter companies. She told him that when filling your lighter you should adjust the flame "all the way up". She said after filling to click it a couple of times and then adjust to your regular setting. She said that when you open it that it let's anything inside the tank go into the valve and then the pressure of lighting wide open will blow it out.

If all else fails just get a Ronson Jet-Lite
Where else are u guys buying Ronsons? I went to 2 Walgrees that did not have any...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #29
Wingfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn View Post
Where else are u guys buying Ronsons? I went to 2 Walgrees that did not have any...
I think I have seen them at Walmart but this was a while ago.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #30
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Advnture View Post
Lighter Fix Tips

In my opinion, 90% of the problems that occur with lighters are because of the quality of the butane that is being used. (The most common symptom is sputtering or not lighting)

The reason is that butane contains impurities that cause clogging in the ignitor of the lighter. These impurities can be filtered out during the refining process. That's why I have chosen to carry Vector butane - it's also the cheapest per volume is the most consistantly available.

The MINIMUM number of refinings you should use is at least 3x or "Triple Refined" but the Vector is refined 5x and the Lava is 5x refined. These two are by far the cleanest and best fuels that you can use.

The other most common problem with lighters is having air trapped in the fuel chamber. Most lighters come with instructions on how to "purge" the lighter. That's what it's referring to.

These are simple things to do to tell if the lighter can be repaired or not.

Here are a few tips:

1. Bleed the lighter until it's total empty. Make sure the valve is pointing down. (Do not attempt this while the flame is lit). You have to shake the lighter as you bleed the valve. And may have to repeat many times before it's completely empty.

2. Refill with a MIN. of triple refined butane. This may take two or three shots to totally fill it. Wait several minutes for the butane to come up to room temperature. This is fairly important as cold butane will not ignite.

3. Turn your flame level to the (-) sign on your lighter prior to lighting. I have noticed that after refilling the adjustment is out of whack. So after every refill turn it down and gradually adjust it to the desired level. Many times this is why a lighter doesn't work properly after a refill as well. (Also, generally as your lighter gets low on butane you have to adjust the level higher)

4. Make sure you have a spark. If you have a soft flame (ie flint) the obvious solution would be to replace the flint. If you have a torch lighter, you should see the spark coming from a small wire inside the lighter. If there is not spark, there may be lint from your pocket. Use some compressed air in short spurts to clear it out (try to avoid blowing in it if possible, you usually get small amount of spit on the ignitor which will also prevent a spark).

5. If you are using a flint (soft flame) style lighter and still don't have a flame make sure your burners are clean. Sometimes they get built up with tar from cigars and burning gas residue. You can use a TINY amount of distilled water on a q-tip or a small wire brush to clean them. Be VERY gentle and make sure it's dry before trying to ignite.

If all else fails, use a match! Just make sure you let it burn for a couple of seconds before lighting your cigar with it as the sulfur from the match impart a funky taste into your cigar.

I hope this helps and happy smoking my friends.

~Mark

Brining this one back from the dead

I am having issues lately, on #3 you said to turn the flame level to (-) well what if the adjuster will not stop there or on the (+) for that matter, just keeps going around and around.

Just got a new Xikar Inpress and have bled it, refilled it, bled it, refilled it, didn't bleed it and refilled it and NOTHING!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.