Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #41
Vitis

Default Re: I need beads! There a difference?

Shilala, thanks for the in-depth explanation. I think I understand this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Thing is, what works for you and provides value may not work for me because of my environment, my humidor, or how often I visit said humidor.
This to me is the most important thing. We all need humidity retained, but a lot of it has to do with how quickly it regains the level when the humi is opened for some ammount of time. I do assume that kitty litter can have a much greater fluctuation and still work appropriatly for its appliation.

Thanks

~Vitis
Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #42
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitis View Post
This to me is the most important thing. We all need humidity retained, but a lot of it has to do with how quickly it regains the level when the humi is opened for some ammount of time. I do assume that kitty litter can have a much greater fluctuation and still work appropriatly for its appliation.
~Vitis
Actually, Kitty Litter fails miserably in the situation you mentioned.
It's best suited for long storage where the humi is very seldom opened.
Even at that, it still takes up a huge amount of space in order to be useful.
If space isn't an issue, the ambient is relatively stable, and the humi isn't opened often, Kitty Litter can be made useful.
Value-wise, it still sucks though.
A guy can use a couple pans of wetted sodium nitrate in his humi and hold a perfect 65% for FAR less money and use up FAR less floor space.
Once again, it's all about what makes me happy.
I'd pay 15 bucks for kitty litter if sodium nitrate was the only thing available because I wouldn't have to worry about spills or salt-crawl. There are many options out there that are far more appealing to me than either of those things, so I choose to go that way.
I think my "bottom line" is that I want the very best and most reliable solution that takes a minimal amount of maintenance. I have a LOT of money tied up in my cigars. More importantly, I want them to smoke good. I don't want to have to fuss with my humidor all the time to keep the environment stable.
If a product delivers on those levels, I'm going to be happy. If it doesn't work, I'm not going to be happy.
If another product provides an improvement over the one I'm using, I'm going to switch if and when I can, so long as I can afford it.

Last edited by shilala; 11-13-2008 at 11:50 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #43
Vitis

You misunderstood me. I meant kitty litter would work well in it's application .. as kitty litter, but would not be respondent enough to regain humidity fast enough for cigars. So we're thinking alike

Thanks for explaining all this though.

~Vitis
Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #44
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I am extremely anal about my things - have ordered from both HF and cigarmony.com, both gave great service though I have ordered more items from cigarmony.com

Is there a diff in product - I haven't seen one yet...
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #45
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitis View Post
You misunderstood me. I meant kitty litter would work well in it's application .. as kitty litter, but would not be respondent enough to regain humidity fast enough for cigars. So we're thinking alike

Thanks for explaining all this though.

~Vitis
Hehehehe.
I wasn't sure what you meant. I coulda went either way and I picked the wrong one.
Just so you know, it doesn't work in it's Kitty Litter application either, that's why it's been discontinued. It sizzles when cats pee on it and it scares them, so the cats pee somewhere else.
It's a 100% failure on all fronts.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #46
Darrell

I am a dedicated customer of Heartfelt, no reason for me to try anyone else beads.

David Asp's customer service is BAR NONE.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #47
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

Kitty litter and cigars are a bad idea. Kitty finds litter and Kitty makes wet cigars that taste like ammonia.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #48
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

I have never tried the others, but Shilala's have been nothing short of perfect. I am more than satisfied.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #49
Doogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
I've only used Heartfelt as well. Totally satisfied with them and the customer service is top notch.
same hear
Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #50
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I am a dedicated customer of Heartfelt, no reason for me to try anyone else beads.

David Asp's customer service is BAR NONE.
Ditto... I hear good things about other vendors and people, but David takes such good care of me I just keep going back.
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote