Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
badbriar

Default Re: cigar info. please i am new to the site

Down side to buying someone else's large cigar collection is the likelihood that there are a lot of sticks you will not care much for. Everyone has different tastes and IMHO, you are likely to run into about 50% that are not your thing. Good luck!
RR
Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I'm gonna have to agree with the previous comments. The only premium cigars that I saw, ( which aren't that hard to find ) would be the Man O' War Armadas and Ave Maria Reconquista which both retail for $15-$20. The special edition AJ Fernandez Man O' War Maduro ( the one with the red ribbon ) may not be easy to find on its own, but comes in a lot of samplers. I got a Man O' War "special edition, limited edition, yadda yadda yadda" figurado sampler with that cigar in it, as well 5 other limited edition MOWs for $30 bucks off the devil site.

Not trying to make you feel bad or make it seem like those sticks are inadequate ( because I have in fact enjoyed many of the cigars in the pictures) but I think the general consensus here is that we don't wanna see you get screwed over and overpay for something that certainly doesn't warrant a $1000 price tag ( at least from the pictures you provided ).

Good luck!
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
FNA
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
FNA is on a distinguished road

Sure , everybody is entitled to an opinion, but that does not mean that theiur opinions are valid.

For instance, while saying a cigar "can be found easily" sounds like an assertion of fact and not an opinion, it is easy to see that it is neither a fact nor qa valid opinion.

I used the examle of the Graycliff, but the same is true for the Padilla - if you input these cigars into Google you will not "easily" find them for sale. As noted. neither appear listed for sale in the first 20 results on Google (which leads me to form an opinion that they will not easily be found listed for sale on subsequent pages). Even AF Anejos, called rare and hard to find by everyone selling them, can be found for sale in one page of Google results.

Thus, a statement that these cigars can be easily found is not a valid opinion because it simply is not true.

As to the "I wouldn't give $100 for that" - that statement is not meant to give the opjion that the speaker wouldn't like this humidor and cigars - the plain implication that this humidor and the cigars are not worth $100. This is despitye the facts we know - the humidor certainly is worth $75 (on sale) and if anyone has experience these branded humidors from CI, they know the boxes are in fact very nice, well sized humidors) and at least several of the cigars retail for more than $10 each and at least one can apprently only be obtained through investment in a $300 box of cigars.

It really seems unreasonable to me and misleading to the OP to imply that $75 worth of humidor, several valuable (i.e. $10 and up) cigars and 95 or so other cigars is not worth $100.

A little side comment on the Burberry - any one that can say a triple wrapped in a plaid pattern perfecto is not a rare cigar might want to pull out a Websters and look under "R". Really, not rare? Where can I get one today or a competing plaid, triple-wrapped perfecto that has been made over the years.

I made my comments because to me (yes, an opinion) the responses to this thread seemed to be mainly concerned with telling the OP what a rube he is for being interested in this deal. I mean come on - the photos were staged to hide something?

I saw no "bundlers in the photos. Why don't we go onthe assumption that there are not bundlers there, not that the seller is looking to cheat the buyer?

$1,000 is a lot of money. Pick any three humidors and 500 cigars that you own (no bundlers). Include some $10 cigars and some "not hard to find" cigars like say the Burberries or something else that you'd be willing to pay $3 for (if they could actually be bought today and despite the fact that they sold for more than twice that when available several years ago). So are your three humidors and 500 cigars worth $1,000?
FNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

You do know there are many other ways to find cigars besides just using a "google search"? I, for FACT, can buy some Padilla Artisans (Burberries) for $ 4.00-5.00 a stick. Same goes for the Graycliff at around $ 2.00 per stick. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, the OP asked for peoples feedback on the subject. If you cannot value someone else's opinion or disagree with it...that's fine too. Just don't go in a rant about how everyone else is wrong because they don't agree with you.

The OP asked for feedback and members provided it.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

For a $1000, I'd get a 48 QT cooler and fill 'er up with chit I like. Rare or HTF doesn't mean good or particularly something I might like. Crafty shopping and you could get a nice collection of stuff you really like for $1k. I'd let the guy keep his collection.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
For a $1000, I'd get a 48 QT cooler and fill 'er up with chit I like. Rare or HTF doesn't mean good or particularly something I might like. Crafty shopping and you could get a nice collection of stuff you really like for $1k. I'd let the guy keep his collection.

If I'm going to spend $1000 on cigars I'm damned sure going to spend it on things I like, not take a shot that somebody else's collection will have things that are to my taste. If I ended up not liking 1/3 of the smokes, that's $333. I can get a box of T52s for that and have enough left over for a 10-er of Padron 1964 Annys.

Now having said that, if you trust that the guy has stored the cigars properly, for a novice looking to try a bunch of different smokes, $1000 for 500 cigars and 3 humi's is not a bad deal at all. If you don't trust that they've been cared for properly, walk away.

Last edited by Porch Dweller; 10-25-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #27
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like FNA may be the seller. Like others have said $1,000 for that? Nah, pass on that bro. The Tatuaje La Verites 2008's can be found in stock at some B&Ms. In fact my B&M has an entire case of it looks like 100 or more.. (I have no idea how they were sold). Anyways, Graycliffs are not very hard or hard to come by. Ultimately it comes down to your decision but as another member telling another I probably wouldn't buy it. You can do so many things with $1,000. Buy a cooler and go to cigar bid and get a bunch of stuff to try.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA View Post

if anyone has experience these branded humidors from CI, they know the boxes are in fact very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNA View Post

Sure , everybody is entitled to an opinion, but that does not mean that theiur opinions are valid.
At last, we agree on something.

If you think it's such a great deal, why don't YOU buy it?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
At last, we agree on something.

If you think it's such a great deal, why don't YOU buy it?
Cause he alresdy has it Tom, he's the seller.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Cause he alresdy has it Tom, he's the seller.
Do we know that for certain? Or is it conjecture?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #31
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Do we know that for certain? Or is it conjecture?
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought it myself due to the seemingly defensive post, but am going to have to go with conjecture.

Hmm $1000 worth of HU half coronas ... that certainly would go with a lot of great morning cups of coffee, might even have one to spare for Tom
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I thought it myself due to the seemingly defensive post, but am going to have to go with conjecture.

Hmm $1000 worth of HU half coronas ... that certainly would go with a lot of great morning cups of coffee, might even have one to spare for Tom

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think the bottom line is that the OP is asking "The seller says this is a really good deal for a thousand bucks, should I jump on it?"
The simple answer is "No. It's not a great deal, or even a good deal."
It'd probably be a decent deal at around $500 if the cigars are in perfect shape, but I'd far rather spend my $500 on something I know I'll like rather than a "deal".
Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #35
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Old 10-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #36
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Did the OP buy it? Inquiring minds want to know!!! And I also think FNA is the seller, just conjecture though Peter
Old 10-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #37
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I agree that it appears that way.

But I think it presumptuous to call someone out publicly unless there is substantial evidence or knowledge. There is certainly not enough of that in this thread alone.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
milhouse is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do it. Putting the mediocre selection of sticks aside, the time value of money is what make me say no.

If you are into bargain hunting, and specifically these types of sticks go seek out your own deals on cigar bid. Probably will be more fun.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I agree that it appears that way.

But I think it presumptuous to call someone out publicly unless there is substantial evidence or knowledge. There is certainly not enough of that in this thread alone.
It's always better to believe the best rather than the worst. I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt even though his attitude when he jumped in was not as good as it could have been.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Peter, my post was just conjecture. It seemed all to like those new users who's only posts in their own thread is directed at singing the praises of some new brand we've never heard of.