Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
gijoey959

Default Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18

This has been a hectic week and I found myself just smoking cigars, as opposed to tasting them, so I decided to review one of my higher priced go-to cigars

Visual: This stick has a deep chocolate colored wrapper with minimal veins except for 2 large ones that are about 1" long each. The construction is good, the cap was a bit sloppy, and the bands are the usual camacho style. I actually think the bright silver bands look good against the dark wrapper

Pre-light: medium resistance on the draw with raisins and barnyard flavors. Chocolate smell when you sniff the foot and wrapper

mom's "vintage" cigarette ash tray

1/3
Immediately, I taste spice and barnyard notes, which backs off after a quarter inch to let unsweetened coco into the flavor pool. It took a little longer to light than most sticks I've come across, but from what I've heard, that's normal. As I get further, the coco starts getting sweet and I taste leathery hay and mild floral notes

2/3
The ash finally fell at the start of this 3rd, the burn has been razor straight also. The flavors are milk chocolate and floral hay. As I progressed, the cigar kept trying to go out, which caused the hay to get spicy and over shadow the chocolate flavor

3/3
At this point, the chocolate and herbs are equal in strength, and the cigar is no longer trying to go out. The flavor stays one dimensional

I don't normally smoke camacho cigars, and they aren't my favorites, but I would buy this again, maybe not a box, but definately a 5er

I would like to note that I was feeling ill and my tastebuds may have been a bit dulled

Overall, 84/100
Old 11-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: Camacho Triple Maduro 11/18

Nice review! I like these a lot.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

The one and only time I have ever felt like I was going to puke, pass out or crap my self while smoking a cigar was when I smoked five of these back to back to back to back to back. I was on a visit to Camacho's farm in Honduras and Christian was still kind of experimenting with the blends for the Triple Maduro. He has us all sit down and he places five dark cigars in front of us. I probably wasn't paying attention so I didn't know we would be smoking them all in a row like that.

I smoked the first three down to the nub before I realized Christian wanted tasting notes on all five cigars (oh, that's what the pen and paper are all about). Everyone is pretty much done because they've only smoked through about a third of each cigar. I got two cigars left to smoke and now everyone is kind of staring at me. I'm not sure if it's because it looks like I'm about to die or because they're looking at three nubbed Triple Maduros sitting in front of me. So I power through 1/3 of the fourth cigar and now I'm about ready to puke. Now the crew is waiting for me to complete my notes on the last cigar so we can head back to the ranch for food and cocktails. I'm holding everyone up and I'm not sure if I can smoke this last one. Luckily, someone had gone down the street and got some Coke's. I washed my first four Triple Maduros down and lit up #5. I could barely hold the friggin pen but I got my tasting notes done and lived to tell the tale.

I bet you I smoked at least eight more cigars (the next day) after those five Triple Maduros, I couldn't tell you what any of them tasted like. I think my palate was shot for the next month.

Great review, by the way. Your description of the flavor profile is spot on in my opinion.

Thanks,
Eric
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
gijoey959

Yes! Someone agreed with me! Lol, I guess my palate is getting better
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, I've only had a couple of these but they can def put you on your ass if your not careful.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have loved the couple of these I have had. Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...one of my go to sticks!!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Great stick. I actually had one tonight. I found myself purging this one more than the others I've had. It was tasty regardless.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
gijoey959

I did purge this one 2 times, both times had huge flames compared to other cigars I've purged, but both times it fixed the flavor profile completely
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

These are awesome smokes! I just bought a box of the 6x60's that will be here Saturday!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Have had one of these before, i think it was wet when I had it though and didn't enjoy it much.
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Nathan King

Nice job describing the flavors. Was the barnyard note pleasant? I have found some cigars where it's a nice touch and others (most of them) where it is a negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz View Post
The one and only time I have ever felt like I was going to puke, pass out or crap my self while smoking a cigar was when I smoked five of these back to back to back to back to back....
I would puke smoking any five cigars back to back.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Paging Ratters to the TM courtesy phone, the man loves these things.

I enjoy these with a really full belly an' a couple fingers of some adult-like beverage. Not even close to an everyday smoke for me as I generally prefer medium bodied smokes but the TM really satisfies me when I'm in the mood.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
gijoey959

Same here, I actually prefer medium-mild cause that's just how I roll

And the barnyard taste was pleasant, it wasn't like fresh cow taste, it was more wet hay in the morning kinda, like it wasn't just hay... maybe you actually need to have been on a farm to know exactly what I mean, but yeah
Old 11-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #15
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Funny, I've smoked four or five boxes of these and I've never really found them that strong. Full flavored, but I don't think I've ever gotten a real nic buzz from them.

Love them though. My old stash is about gone but you can pick them up off cigar monster for not a too bad price every now and again.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscottskangum View Post
Have had one of these before, i think it was wet when I had it though and didn't enjoy it much.
I think we can remedy that real quick and fast like!!