Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #41
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hit and Runs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The hope is the neighbors will give up the car who really did this vs. going through the hassle of fighting it.

Are there street cameras in that neigborhood?
Agree.

I would ask the neighbors if they saw any vehicles in the area other than the two in that photo. A scene canvass can often turn up valuable information.

On a related note, I am trying to find my digital card reader so I can upload some interesting photos to illustrate the damage that can result to a bumper cover from just the slightest pressure against it.

My wife pulled into the garage with the BMW and just slightly pressed into an object that was there, that she misjudged. As a result of this, there is now a nice gauge on my front bumper cover.

Now imagine, that was from a slight impression, from slowly pulling in to the driveway, crawling at that point until the car came to rest. I assure you, my wife is very slow when pulling in the driveway as in front of that object she hit are two 40 gallon containers for my fish tank and the water heater. Imagine what would result from that cover, that has a metal reinforcement for support behind it, which would put pressure back out towards the point of action, that ends up striking and bending metal?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Hopefully this serves to be purely for education of plastic bumper covers or as known in the industry, Fascia.
Think of the term Fascia and that alone should tell you the intent of these covers. They are nothing more than the final cosmetic finish for the car. They are not there to protect you and I assure you, if that is all you had, you would die in an accident.

The following photo illustrates what happens when your wife slowly rolls to a stop, not hitting an object, just simply putting pressure on it. The result is a gauge in the material. Granted, this is hardly any damage but that is precisely the point. Hardly any damage from merely applying pressure to an object that in turn left a lasting impression.

This is quite common in cities like NY where there is parallel parking. Cars have license plates with screws to hold them protruding. As folks try to leave tight parking spaces, they bang into the cars in front. While not causing major damage, these lasting impressions in the material occur.

Here is the area that she stopped that I have now removed the offender.

So, that all said, again, now imagine what would result to molded plastic when it is compressed with great force up against steel? What exactly can't be predicted in detail but we know one thing for sure, it would be significantly greater than what is on that neighbor's car.

Hope this comparison assisted.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #43
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

Went to a shop I've done business with before and they estimated it at $640 I think I can live with that. They said there wasnt any damage other than cosmetic. It seemed to drive fine, I had to spend 30 minutes on the highway to get to the shop, and also hit a pothole along the way so it seems to be holding up ok.

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0leful0ne View Post
Went to a shop I've done business with before and they estimated it at $640 I think I can live with that. They said there wasnt any damage other than cosmetic. It seemed to drive fine, I had to spend 30 minutes on the highway to get to the shop, and also hit a pothole along the way so it seems to be holding up ok.
For that amount, don't report it to your insurance.
Not worth it.
Glad to hear nothing else was wrong with it beyond what is visible.
Unfortunately, too many folks think at times damages are minimal and additional damage ends up being there. In your case, I was concerned with the wheel not having taken an impact and you or us not being able to see it.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #45
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That's a hell of a deal.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #46
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Your insurance premium increases for the next 3+ years would have been about equal to half of that. + the deductible on top of that... (comparing that to what I pay cus some douchebag rear ended me while I was stopped at a stoplight for a good 2 minutes before he hit me.....2 and a half years ago and it's still effecting me over 75$ every 6 months )
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #47
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Your insurance premium increases for the next 3+ years would have been about equal to half of that. + the deductible on top of that... (comparing that to what I pay cus some douchebag rear ended me while I was stopped at a stoplight for a good 2 minutes before he hit me.....2 and a half years ago and it's still effecting me over 75$ every 6 months )
Jordan,
Why were you surcharged for a rear end where you were the one rear ended?
That is not a loss qualifying for a surcharge.
Are you sure your increase was not attributed to a non related regular rate increase?
If it was due to an accident surcharge, I would contact your carrier and demand a reduction and credit.
If they don't comply, file a complaint with your local state insurance department.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:51 AM   #48
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Jordan,
Why were you surcharged for a rear end where you were the one rear ended?
That is not a loss qualifying for a surcharge.
Are you sure your increase was not attributed to a non related regular rate increase?
If it was due to an accident surcharge, I would contact your carrier and demand a reduction and credit.
If they don't comply, file a complaint with your local state insurance department.
Basically the deal was that when I signed up for the new insurance provider (after we got married), they searched records and saw that I had an incident on my report or some other mumbo jumbo within the past 3 years. The situation was that I got rear ended while at a complete standstill at a stoplight. My rates are most definitely increased because of it. It even says they are. Honestly it's not even worth fighting because the 6 months are paid for, and it won't be within 3 years at the next payment date, so it'll go back to normal. For the record this is with Progressive insurance since they were the cheapest for our situation, but all providers were going to increase it because of this 'accident'.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #49
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Basically the deal was that when I signed up for the new insurance provider (after we got married), they searched records and saw that I had an incident on my report or some other mumbo jumbo within the past 3 years. The situation was that I got rear ended while at a complete standstill at a stoplight. My rates are most definitely increased because of it. It even says they are. Honestly it's not even worth fighting because the 6 months are paid for, and it won't be within 3 years at the next payment date, so it'll go back to normal. For the record this is with Progressive insurance since they were the cheapest for our situation, but all providers were going to increase it because of this 'accident'.
OK,
This is not uncommon.
What happens is the new carrier sees a record of an accident. Based on that, they assume it is one they can surcharge.
If you contact your prior carrier that you had at the time, they are obligated to provide you with a letter stating outcome of that accident. If you didn't go through your own carrier and you went through that of the party that rear ended you, same thing. They have to provide you a letter indicating you were not at fault.
When you get that letter, your carrier will be obligated to reimburse you the surcharge amount.

While I work for an insurance company and am often explaining our actions that most don't understand, if I were you, I would invest the minimal time involved in getting this letter and get your money back. Better in your pocket than in theirs.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #50
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
For that amount, don't report it to your insurance.
Not worth it.
I'd still file a police report. Since the damage is not going through insurance, your CarFax should be "accident free" when you sell it or trade it in.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #51
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Ouch!!!

That sucks!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #52
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
OK,
This is not uncommon.
What happens is the new carrier sees a record of an accident. Based on that, they assume it is one they can surcharge.
If you contact your prior carrier that you had at the time, they are obligated to provide you with a letter stating outcome of that accident. If you didn't go through your own carrier and you went through that of the party that rear ended you, same thing. They have to provide you a letter indicating you were not at fault.
When you get that letter, your carrier will be obligated to reimburse you the surcharge amount.

While I work for an insurance company and am often explaining our actions that most don't understand, if I were you, I would invest the minimal time involved in getting this letter and get your money back. Better in your pocket than in theirs.
I'll do that. Thank you!

75$ is 75$.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #53
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Sucks that you can't prove who did it. People can be such totally spineless a-holes.

I was following some guy in a F-150 one day down a residential street. We passed by some parked cars but he didn't judge the distance very well and ended up tasking off one of the parked vehicle's outside mirrors. He kept on going like nothing happened, so I kept following him until we got to a main highway. He turned abruptly into an alley running parallel to the main highway and I stayed with him; he obviously realized that I was following him. He turned into a parking lot and I pulled up behind him, got his plate number, and got out of there in case he decided to come after me and do something (road rage). I went back to the house where the collision occurred. The owner was there looking at his car and he recognized my car, so I parked and gave him the plate number, make model, and a good description of the driver. Too bad back then there were no cell phone cameras (this was probably a good 12 years ago).
Old 03-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #54
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Quote:
Get your hands on some Round Up and burn up $640.00 of the pricks front lawn....
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #55
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Get your hands on some Round Up and burn up $640.00 of the pricks front lawn....
Yeah, even though you don't really have proof that he did it, go ahead and vandalize the guy's property. That'll show him!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 AM   #56
s0leful0ne
Its Huge.

Trading: (22)
RA
s0leful0ne has a spectacular aura abouts0leful0ne has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Haha I scared them enough...trust me. According to the expert opinion it wasnt due to their car. If only it was that simple.

What's that smell?...Swamp Ash
s0leful0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #57
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

this sucks Aldrin, glad the damage isn't worse though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #58
sodomanaz

What a crappy way to spend spring break. Glad the repairs were at least affordable for you!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #59
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

I believe in Karma.
Things to do go around in circles.

That neighbor likely knows who was on his driveway backing out that struck your car. The way you described things, it had to absolutely be someone coming out of that driveway given the type of impact you sustained, that was clearly not as result of a sideswipe.

$600 out of pocket sucks but I can't help but believe and trust it will come back to bite him in the rear a few times fold.