Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #341
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NHL '08- '09 Thread

Yeah, it looks like the Kings have thrown in the towel for this season. I guess losing four in a row will do that to you. Trading Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick for Justin Williams? Doesn't make much sense to me. POS is a bit soft but quite skilled. Williams is injured way too much for my liking. Oh well. As we Kings fans are so used to saying, better luck next season!!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #342
jamesb3

Looks like the Red Wings will stand pat. No suprise as we are strapped by the salary cap. But then again, I think we are primed for another run at the Cup.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #343
bugmenot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tony
Trading: (4)
bugmenot is on a distinguished road

Don't get the O'Sullivan deal. Makes little to no sense to me, though I can't complain, as it will benefit the Sharks!

Guess the sharks also got rid of McClaren as well for a 6th round pick.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #344
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

How about my Stars knocking off the Sharks in the mighty shark tank last night.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #345
motortown
Just in from the Storm

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Partagas
motortown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb3 View Post
Looks like the Red Wings will stand pat. No suprise as we are strapped by the salary cap. But then again, I think we are primed for another run at the Cup.
Hope so, James. Calgary definitely got better this afternoon when they snagged Jokinen after adding Leopold. Lombardi's gonna be missed (imo), but they've gotta be feeling really good after today. They're stacked as it is, and Kiprusoff is stone. It's gonna get nice come April, May, and June, that's for sure! Going through that turd Keenan would make the Cup that much sweeter, too!!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #346
bugmenot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
How about my Stars knocking off the Sharks in the mighty shark tank last night.
Dallas played a good game, as they did in the previous one. Ok, since obviously I can be biased, but did YOU see an intent to injure, or even a head butt to warrant the game misconduct?!

Sharks 3rd and 4th lines are hurting right now though, with injuries, hopefully everyone will get healthy 2 weeks before playoffs.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #347
Waynegro1

Well, the Blues won last night against Tampa, in OT!! 2 more points and climbing. Tonight we take on the Panthers. Can't wait!!

I have to say, I always loved hanging out with my friends, drinking a few cold ones and watching whatever game was on. Now, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be, than sitting next to my boy and watching his face enjoy the action. Life is funny.
Two hours until game time, and my son is already in his Blues sweater.
Talk to ya later fellas.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #348
motortown
Just in from the Storm

Partagas

WTF is up with the Wings (and "pesky" Saturday opponents)?!!! For a while I was thinking that it might be Detroit/San Jose playing for the West... until last Wed came along (w/Calgary getting a whole lot better). And now, down the stretch, I'm seeing the team playing unfocused in certain games, and their defense taking most nights off. Just please don't use the "hurt/injured player(s)" excuse... it's late in the season, and everybody's banged-up and trying to get healthy. While I always want to see good, competitive play through til the end, I just hope this isn't another early-out season (1st or 2nd round). And no, I'm not freakin' out.... just a bit concerned...
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #349
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Hawks are in the exact same boat, John...playing like they have already clinched a playoff spot. Brian Campbell has been awful the past couple weeks, not acceptable for a 7.5 million dollar player, and now Havlat joins Sharp and Khabibulin on the injured list. Not a good way to go into the last month of the season.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #350
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
cigarusmaximus is on a distinguished road

The Flames seem to be falling into a complacent trend as well. Losing their last two games to teams they should have beaten, albeit on the road.

Iginla has been hot and cold this season. I'm hoping the new top line will start gelling in time for the post season run....

Assuming the top line starts rolling and they start playing with the grit and dertermination they have in years past, I see the Flames or San Jose coming out of the West.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #351
bugmenot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortown View Post
WTF is up with the Wings (and "pesky" Saturday opponents)?!!! For a while I was thinking that it might be Detroit/San Jose playing for the West... until last Wed came along (w/Calgary getting a whole lot better). And now, down the stretch, I'm seeing the team playing unfocused in certain games, and their defense taking most nights off. Just please don't use the "hurt/injured player(s)" excuse... it's late in the season, and everybody's banged-up and trying to get healthy. While I always want to see good, competitive play through til the end, I just hope this isn't another early-out season (1st or 2nd round). And no, I'm not freakin' out.... just a bit concerned...
You and I both. Sharks have been playing flat for the past 2-3 months now. I think they have played maybe 2 good games, the rest have sucked. Yeah, they got injuries, and some major ones, but come one. Injuries means you can loose, not play like crap. I think for the sharks a lot has to do with the fact that they have clinched, but there is still the whole conference to go for. Saddening.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #352
motortown
Just in from the Storm

Partagas

"DOUBLE WTF"... Gainey fires Carbonneau, takes helm as interim coach??...WOW!!... I mean, we all knew that he was kinda on the hotseat, with Habs fans and the press mounting a small revolt. Still, I thought the dude was safe for now, with a possible move made off-season (depending upon.._). Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus View Post
The Flames seem to be falling into a complacent trend as well....
Dude... Keenan's the coach that really needs to be fired!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #353
motortown
Just in from the Storm

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Hawks are in the exact same boat, John...playing like they have already clinched a playoff spot. Brian Campbell has been awful the past couple weeks, not acceptable for a 7.5 million dollar player, and now Havlat joins Sharp and Khabibulin on the injured list. Not a good way to go into the last month of the season.
Yeah Tom, but as you well know... they're setting themselves up for a lotta nice runs, and for a number of years!!! Man, I'd absolutely love another great Wings-Hawks rivalry!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #354
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortown View Post
Yeah Tom, but as you well know... they're setting themselves up for a lotta nice runs, and for a number of years!!! Man, I'd absolutely love another great Wings-Hawks rivalry!!
I am hoping the Hawks are good enough to give the Wings a run sometime soon!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #355
bugmenot
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Just wait till the playoffs for Campbell... That guy flat out disappeared for the sharks last season. Didn't think he was worth that amount of money either. Anybody think the blues may find a way to sneak their way in?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #356
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
Just wait till the playoffs for Campbell... That guy flat out disappeared for the sharks last season. Didn't think he was worth that amount of money either. Anybody think the blues may find a way to sneak their way in?
Campbell has been playing like crap lately.

A gifted "puck mover" and powerplay QB, but a defensive liability...not worth what the Hawks paid, though I hope he proves me wrong come playoff time.

The Blues? They can set their tee-times for April 13th.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #357
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

How about a little love for the Hurricanes...

Look like a great sleeper from the East. They are 8-2 over their last ten games, including big wins over Calgary and the Rangers... not to mention, the total beatdown they put on Tampa Bay the other night. Erik Staal had 4 goals!

Eric Cole has been a real spark plug since the trade. Watch this team... they went from 9th in the East to 6th (closely contested part of the East standings right now). I feel real good about their chances.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #358
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by romwarrior View Post
Yeah, it looks like the Kings have thrown in the towel for this season. I guess losing four in a row will do that to you. Trading Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick for Justin Williams? Doesn't make much sense to me. POS is a bit soft but quite skilled. Williams is injured way too much for my liking. Oh well. As we Kings fans are so used to saying, better luck next season!!
Williams was a popular player with Carolina... but the injuries were too much.

For his sake, I hope he is able to get healthy. He will contribute if he can get past that hurdle.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #359
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Williams was a popular player with Carolina... but the injuries were too much.

For his sake, I hope he is able to get healthy. He will contribute if he can get past that hurdle.
Yeah, Williams was great for a couple years - especially during the Cup run. It would be nice to think that he will get better and get back to his old self, but if the Kings track record (see Cloutier, Dan, et al) then the chances are slim.

Interestingly, the Kings have won all three games since booting O'Sullivan. Purcell has more than taken over for him. But the Kings just can't seem to figure out if they are good or not. They are so streaky - 4 road wins then 4 home losses, then 4 road losses then 3 home wins. If they do squeak in then they will get the privilege of playing either Detroit or San Jose. Good luck with that!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #360
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

When do the real games start?

J/K, although that's how half of Metro Detroit feels from Nov thru March. But, high expectations are a good thing.