Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #2721
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Maybe he means a temperature controlled humidor?

This is about the smallest one I can think of offhand.
Back in August of last year they could be had for $125 (free shipping) with a coupon code at air-n-water.com.
http://www.newair.com/products/cc-100/

I steered a friend who was looking for his first humidor towards that deal back then along with some HCM beads and he is super pleased with everything. No problems so far and rock solid humidity levels.

Lukas, keep in mind that the capacity estimates are just that, estimates. Based on the size of the cigar and the boxes, a 150 count might only hold 80. The above "250 count" is probably much closer to 150 actual storage.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:55 AM   #2722
Luke1486
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Lukas
Trading: (0)
Luke1486 is on a distinguished road

Yes thats what i was looking to get the tempatures in my place vary a lot so i want something that will be set to certain temps and keep the cigars fresher longer. Thanks
Luke1486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #2723
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke1486 View Post
Yes thats what i was looking to get the tempatures in my place vary a lot so i want something that will be set to certain temps and keep the cigars fresher longer. Thanks
I think most of us would worry about maintaining the humidity first and worry about the temperature second. The cigars were rolled in a tropical climate and survived a sea voyage in a shipping container before you started to worry about them.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #2724
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I think most of us would worry about maintaining the humidity first and worry about the temperature second. The cigars were rolled in a tropical climate and survived a sea voyage in a shipping container before you started to worry about them.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #2725
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Old 04-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #2726
hwgoesit
Luvin Life

First Name: gerard
HUpmann
hwgoesit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fresher longer?
Low temp is ok for cigars, high temp (actually just above 63 degrees or so) can hatch beetle eggs.
Freshness is generally not a desirable quality. Properly aged is.
hwgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #2727
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Keeping both the humidity and the temperature in a desirable range will keep the cigars smoking great for years. I think that is what you meant by 'fresher'.

Many of us keep our cigars around 64% humidity but up to 70% seems fine for a whole lot of people as well. I keep the temperature of my cigars below about 76 degrees, although it only gets that warm in August and September. Most of the time, my cigars are around 66 degrees. Beetles are a real problem for both Cuban and Non-Cuban (NC) cigars. Above about 70 degrees can cause some issues. See the sticky on the science of freezing cigars for more information.

If you get a system that is electronically cooled, ask about it on this board before you buy. There are several vendors that make great systems but also make systems that can destroy the cigars, since most of the systems are designed for wine. It's a buyer beware world when it comes to buying temperature control for cigars, unless you want to spend serious money.

As for humidity control, beads are the way to go. Look up cigarnut on this board as be manufactures the best of the best, in my opinion.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #2728
Beklage
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
Beklage is on a distinguished road

Is there a for sale forum here? I have a bunch of stuff I need to unload to make room
Beklage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #2729
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beklage View Post
Is there a for sale forum here? I have a bunch of stuff I need to unload to make room
Time and participation will grant you access to the WTS/WTB threads.

If you have not already done so, please introduce yourself here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #2730
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Time and participation will grant you access to the WTS/WTB threads.

If you have not already done so, please introduce yourself here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7
I think he's got the time, member since 2010 and an old CS gorilla.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #2731
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

I'm not a beginner but have been away from the hobby long enough that I've forgotten some things. Made my way over here from the Jungle but then life happened (twins).

I have a winador and it holds humidity like a champ. Over the years I just made sure to wet the beads once or twice a year to keep RH in the 60's.

Smoked a few here and there and it's getting sparse in there so I'm organizing. I've noticed that the humidity is higher at the bottom, which doesn't make sense. 72 on bottom and 68 on top after a re-wetting a few days ago. I have about 3 lbs of 65% beads spread throughout - some on bottom, middle and top. Both hygrometers are Caliber III. I just swapped them to see if they read the same after a while.

So some questions -

1) Should I have the wine fridge plugged in and set to 66 (highest it goes) for some air movement, or just leave it off? I'm not sure how the thermoelectric cooling works but I'm afraid of drying things out.

2) Won a box of Legends by Pepin Garcia from cbid (super stoked about those) and was wondering if I should store the box in the humidor with the lid open or closed? Does it really matter?
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #2732
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

Well now both are reading 70% so I guess it's balanced itself out. Beads will bring it back down to 65% after a few openings so all is good.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #2733
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Unless it gets extremely hot where the winador is most people don’t bother plugging them in, just make sure it’s sealed at drain hole.

Boxes closed are fine!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #2734
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Unless it gets extremely hot where the winador is most people don’t bother plugging them in, just make sure it’s sealed at drain hole.

Boxes closed are fine!
Thanks! Feels like I'm getting into the hobby for the first time.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #2735
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Glad it seems to have worked out, Beau.

I store all my boxes closed, but it's personal preference.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:31 AM   #2736
scudda
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Scott
scudda is on a distinguished road

Ok I am Newbie. I started with Infused Cigars like Nub , Acid and Java and still like them.

Recently I purchased 5 pack of Gurkha Doble Maduro and really like them.

Based on this , can someone make a few suggestions for my next purchase?
scudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #2737
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

The best thing I can recommend is to go to your local cigar shop, tell them what you have tried and liked, and ask them for recommendations -- they usually have some samplers can make recommendations based on what you like. If you don't have a local shop, then pick up some sampler packs from one of the online sites.

I am not a huge fan of the Acid and Java, but I do love Maduro's. My favorites are the Padron x000 series -- a little spendy but I think that they are the best non-Cuban cigars out there.

For an inexpensive smoke, I like the Oba Oba Robusto Maduro by Perdomo. The Surrogates by L’Atelier are good. I like the Cracker Crumbs (Petitle Corona) and Animal Crackers (Robusto).

Try as many different marcas, vitolas and wrappers as you can and you will be able to hone in on what you like.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #2738
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudda View Post
Ok I am Newbie. I started with Infused Cigars like Nub , Acid and Java and still like them.

Recently I purchased 5 pack of Gurkha Doble Maduro and really like them.

Based on this , can someone make a few suggestions for my next purchase?
(Please excuse the broad generalities)

Skipping the forbidden island, there are 3 main countries that produce cigars and they tend to have distinctive tastes. So, you might want to try some cigars from each and that’ll help you develop your personal preferences. Below are a few manufacturers from each.

Dominican Republic

Fuente
La Aurora
Montecristo

Honduras

El Rey del Mundo
Rocky Patel
Torino

Nicaragua

Oliva
A J Fernandez
Don Pepin Garcia.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM   #2739
Roger T
Just in from the Storm

Roger T is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars going bad - Polyglycol Propolene in humid solution

I buy cigars on line, and I've found some great deals (JR cigar, CI Cigars etc) and these were really great tasting smokes. But after about 6 mo. (I've got quite a few in my humidor) the great tasting ones become pretty vial tasting and unsmokable. I use a mixture of Propoline Glycol and distled water (1 to 5 parts water) in the humidification bars, to prevent mold, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also have left the celophane sleeves on them, and am told that isn't a good idea either. Is there just a time limit on how long you can keep your sticks in limbo even if the humidity is maintained before they develop this vial tasting charictaristic? After a while does the oil just turn bad or dry out etc...I'm at a total loss here.

My humidor is the kind with 8 pull-out drawers and a plastic window type front opening door on hinges that doesn't really have a tight sealing door. I'm told that this is not a good type humidor for maintaining a proper level of humidificaiton, but the digintal humidity meeter says it's alwyas about 60 - 65%.

THEN...I have gone for periods of a week without lighting up, so I wonder if it's just my taste buds have gotten too sensitive without smoking.
Roger T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 PM   #2740
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars going bad - Polyglycol Propolene in humid solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger T View Post
I buy cigars on line, and I've found some great deals (JR cigar, CI Cigars etc) and these were really great tasting smokes. But after about 6 mo. (I've got quite a few in my humidor) the great tasting ones become pretty vial tasting and unsmokable. I use a mixture of Propoline Glycol and distled water (1 to 5 parts water) in the humidification bars, to prevent mold, and wonder if that has anything to do with it. I also have left the celophane sleeves on them, and am told that isn't a good idea either. Is there just a time limit on how long you can keep your sticks in limbo even if the humidity is maintained before they develop this vial tasting charictaristic? After a while does the oil just turn bad or dry out etc...I'm at a total loss here.

My humidor is the kind with 8 pull-out drawers and a plastic window type front opening door on hinges that doesn't really have a tight sealing door. I'm told that this is not a good type humidor for maintaining a proper level of humidificaiton, but the digintal humidity meeter says it's alwyas about 60 - 65%.

THEN...I have gone for periods of a week without lighting up, so I wonder if it's just my taste buds have gotten too sensitive without smoking.
Let me guess, by vile, you mean bitter and tar like?

I'm thinking that you might be dealing with over humidification. The timeline is about right and water/pg combo likes to sit around 70% when you mix it 50%/50%. You are mixing 80% water, 20% PG, so it's basically unregulated water which will go to in the 80's or 90's for humidity.

You can take a few cigars and put them in an old wooden cigar box and leave it on the counter for a few days or more, or even just leave them on the counter and let them dry out a bit, see if the flavor comes back. If they are really wet, it could take a week, or longer if you live in a higher humidity area.

I would look into beads from HCMbeads.com, and check the calibration on your hygrometer. Also, your humidor might just leak like a sieve, so it appears to be 65% where the hygro is, but the cigars are soaking up a lot of moisture.

Lastly, cello doesn't really harm the cigars. If anything it affords them protection from being damaged by handling, moving around, mold spores, can serve as a buffer against humidity changes etc.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote