Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #61
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2013 MLB Hall of Fame ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
To be fair I've never heard of Gossage doctoring the ball.
Also, Gossage didn't get to Oakland until 92' and left in 93'.
92' was Canseco's last year in Oakland, as he was traded at the deadline.
In 93',Gossage's last year, Mcguire only played 27 games for the A's.
I understand your point of "all we need now are allegations", and I'll give you your gripe with Eckersley, but to lump Gossage in with to your argument, is painting with too broad a brush.
Which is more than enough time with a ballclub to have known what was happening is a pretty safe assumption to make, wouldn't you say?
Quote:
I'm glad you bring up the bash brothers.
It seems to me, a lot of people think the steroids era started in 98, when Sosa and McGuire both broke the record.
I clearly remember allegations against McGuire, Canseco and the like, going back to 87' when Mcguire hit 49 HR as a rookie, and 88' when Canseco became the first member of the 40/40 club.
I wonder why the writers haven't held steroids against players that played in the late 80's - early 90's?
Yeah, there's a lot of sports writers out there with egg on their face. They either:

1. Sucked at their job and were oblivious as to what was going on
2. Knew what was going on and turned a blind eye, thus making them sucky at their job AND hypocrites
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #62
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Surprised no one mentioned Piazza. Greatest offensive catcher ever. I think he makes it.
I am afraid I am to blame for that.
Rumor has it after he was seen hanging out with me in San Juan late November, his chances of the HOF went to crap.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #63
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I am afraid I am to blame for that.
Rumor has it after he was seen hanging out with me in San Juan late November, his chances of the HOF went to crap.

Nice pic.

Speaking of nice "picks", did he allow any passed balls down there, or peg the ball into center field instead of to second base?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Nice pic.

Speaking of nice "picks", did he allow any passed balls down there, or peg the ball into center field instead of to second base?
I was going to ask if you could feel his backne through his shirt or maybe it had cleared up by then..
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #65
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
I was going to ask if you could feel his backne through his shirt or maybe it had cleared up by then..
I laughed.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #66
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Gossage was long rumored to doctor the ball, and since apparently all we need now our allegations...

But more to the point. Both Gossage and Eckersley were in that Oakland clubhouse (Eckersley more so than Gossage) when the Bash Brothers & Co. were doing their thing (and both benefiting might I add). I won't go so far as to say that they were complicit by their silence, but if they didn't speak up then, they come off as self-righteous b!tches sounding off 20 years later.
I don't know about Gossage, but Gaylord Perry flat out admitted to doctoring balls in his autobiography, yet he made it in the Hall.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #67
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Another year gone by and none of the steroid players get in.
I figured it would be awhile until Bonds or Clemens got close, but I thought Piazza or Biggio might get the nod.
I also thought Mussina and Schilling might get in.
So the saga continues.
Do these guys ever see the hall?
Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #68
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I say no...although I feel they deserve to be in there, just like Pete Rose does.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #69
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Rafael Palmiero off the ballot.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #70
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Feel pretty crappy that Jack Morris won't ever be in the hall. No 300 wins but the guy was the dominant pitcher of his era AND he pitched arguable one of the best pitching performances in World Series History.

After not getting in today he said I was upset but glad it's over. 15 years of hearing my critics was long enough.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #71
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Feel pretty crappy that Jack Morris won't ever be in the hall. No 300 wins but the guy was the dominant pitcher of his era AND he pitched arguable one of the best pitching performances in World Series History.

After not getting in today he said I was upset but glad it's over. 15 years of hearing my critics was long enough.
He goes before the Veterans Committee in 2016...all hope is not lost for Jack.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #72
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

What type of douche doesn't vote for Maddux? I shake my head at the process....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #73
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

"I'm going to be THE GUY that makes a first ballot HOF'er, not"

No to mention Biggio, yea...make him wait one more year...
Old 01-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #74
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
What type of douche doesn't vote for Maddux? I shake my head at the process....
If you were following this "saga" on the interweb, you know the stink some raised about Maddux not being the first unanimous HOFer. Me, I don't see the big deal. He got in with a landslide, so who should care? IMHO, though Maddux certainly earned his election on the first ballot, the only player I have witnessed lately who deserves to be elected unanimously is Mariano Rivera . . . and five years from now that ain't gonna happen either. I won't care, and neither will Mo.

I doubt if Greg does either.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #75
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

If you think Maddux not being a unanimous selection is a sin, consider the fact that Joe Dimaggio wasn't elected on his first ballot.
He didn't get in until his 3rd try.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #76
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
If you think Maddux not being a unanimous selection is a sin, consider the fact that Joe Dimaggio wasn't elected on his first ballot.
'Er ya go. Consider that, as well as the fact than NOBODY'S been elected unanimously yet. You really think Greg Maddux was better than anybody else ever elected? Plu-leeeze.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #77
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
That's because the Hall of Fame used to be for great (elite) players. Now it can be referred to as the Hall of Good. Any player who had a decent career is on the ballot now. And some get in.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #78
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I get your point, Peter, but it does not explain why Don Mattingly received only 8.2% of the votes, which is less than Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Lee Smith, Mike Mussina, Jeff Kent, Mark McGwire, and Larry Walker (Larry Walker? Who the fark is Larry Walker? ), and only slightly more than Sammy Sosa. True, the stats of many exceed Donnie's, but many are also on that "tainted" list.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #79
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

I stick to the fact that not voting for someone who is clearly the elite of the elite, a 1st ballot HOFer if there ever was one, just "because it's the way it is done" is a joke. We are not talking about someone who needs discussion, arguments for or against.... he's in, everyone knows he's in and there are those that don't vote for him related to history of how it has been done or whatever....it is a joke.

I am sure Maddux could not care less, but I care. As stated above, I shake my head & roll my eyes at the process....
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #80
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
As stated above, I shake my head & roll my eyes at the process....
That's allowed, brother. Just don't expect it to change.