Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #541
Fredo456
Addicted

First Name: Fred
Trading: (3)
Fredo456 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I think you over thought the above underlined phrase. Every country has different laws.
It was two provinces within Canada.

Two Internet companies, well regarded on this site (I'm not sure if I can name names) do not ship outside the US. I have not visited all the others (obviously), but I'd like to hear fom Canadian members, as to where they can order from, and how much taxes they have to pay upon reception of the cigars.

Thanks.
Fredo456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #542
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Eros is on a distinguished road

So after trying to slow season my humidor for the last three weeks, I have nothing to show for it. As soon as I take the shot glass out, the humidity plummets within days. I am assuming I have a leak, as it is a glass top humidor. I am getting impatient, and my cigars have been sitting in a tupperware box with a humi pillow thing for a couple of weeks now. Could I just place the cigars in the humi with the water filled shot glass to stabilize the humidity until I can afford a new humidor? Or would that be unwise?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #543
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
So after trying to slow season my humidor for the last three weeks, I have nothing to show for it. As soon as I take the shot glass out, the humidity plummets within days. I am assuming I have a leak, as it is a glass top humidor. I am getting impatient, and my cigars have been sitting in a tupperware box with a humi pillow thing for a couple of weeks now. Could I just place the cigars in the humi with the water filled shot glass to stabilize the humidity until I can afford a new humidor? Or would that be unwise?
I would spend less money and buy the clear silicon sealant they use for aquariums and plug the leak.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #544
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Your cigars will be fine in the tupperware box -- especially since your humi is not holding a steady RH. If you place your cigars in the humidor now they will either get over humidified from the shot glass of water or, if you take the shot glass out then the cigars will dry out.

Fix your humidor and then put your cigars in it. Get get some aquarium grade for silicone sealant; seal around the glass and any other obvious areas (e.g., if there is a hole for a hygrometer, then seal around the hole).

Once you have resolved all of the leaks then your humidor will be able to do the job you need it to do. In the interim, the tupperware box is the best place for your cigars.

One thing you need to remember about this hobby: you need to be patient.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #545
Fredo456
Addicted

I keep reading about hygrometers having to be recalibrated. Some recommend to recalibrate after a sudden change in Rh.
Isn't the point of this tool to accurately indicate the rh of a given space? How accurate is it really, if one can't trust it and has to recalibrate it so often?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #546
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo456 View Post
I keep reading about hygrometers having to be recalibrated. Some recommend to recalibrate after a sudden change in Rh.
Isn't the point of this tool to accurately indicate the rh of a given space? How accurate is it really, if one can't trust it and has to recalibrate it so often?

Thanks.
I've only salt tested (calibrated) my once. Although half the time now I don't look at it. I've gotten used to looking and feeling the cigars to make sure they arent too dry or wet.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #547
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Thanks.
Sometimes things break, need new batteries, etc....I don't see where in the recommendation it implies that the need to recalibrate happens "often".

If your Rh was reading 65% steadily for a year, and suddenly was at 53%, it is wise to recalibrate your hygrometer to see if it is just "off", or if you do in fact have a much bigger problem with your humidor.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #548
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:

Thanks.
Like all things that run on batteries they wear out. Also, most digital hygrometers rely on the battery charge to maintain their calibration. As the batteries wear the calibration changes a little.

Also, it's not like it is a huge problem to check your hygrometer a few times a year.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #549
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thanks.
I think you hear about it much more than needed, due to it's the first thing recommended when there is RH problems in a humidor, When the problem usually ends up being a seasoning (inpatients/owner) or leak issue. but its how a good RH base line is established. And the best tool we have that I'm aware of.

jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #550
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

I'm seasoning my new humidor I got Friday. The RH has stayed at 86% for 3 days now. How much longer should I wait, and is 86% ok for the seasoning process
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #551
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? If not, you need to do that ASAP; there are many threads discussing how best to do this.

I would give it at least a week, preferably two. 86% is not out of line since the seasoning process saturates the wood of the humidor. If you are really worried, take the moisture source out of your humidor and check the RH after several hours to see how far it drops.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #552
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

Yes, I calibrated it with a boveda pack, 75% exactly
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #553
Eros
Just in from the Storm

Eros is on a distinguished road

I'm going on spring break this week and I need to keep my cigars as fresh as possible for a week. Would it be better for me to place them in my cigar caddy even though it doesn't have humidification? Or would a baggy or tupperware be better? I have about 10 cigars.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #554
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm going on spring break this week and I need to keep my cigars as fresh as possible for a week. Would it be better for me to place them in my cigar caddy even though it doesn't have humidification? Or would a baggy or tupperware be better? I have about 10 cigars.
Cigar caddies have rubber gaskets and seal at least just as well or possibly even better than tupperware. If your cigars are at the right humidity already, they should be fine for a week without any additional humidification.

If you are going to an exceptionally dry or wet climate, a 65% boveda pack will do a great job of keeping things from getting too wet or too dry (boveda packs are 2-way). Unlike the built in humidifier on the cigar caddy, here is virtually no chance of mold with a boveda pack. Lastly, since they are thin and will fit on top of the cigars, you can carry one without sacrificing any cigar space.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #555
Fredo456
Addicted

I started the calibration of my HygroSet Digital Hygrometer this morning, and the screen shuts down after a while. I have to press the "set" button for it to come back to life. I bought it new and took off the plastic tab from the battery compartment this morning, so it couldn't be the battery. Or could it? Or is it a normal function of the hygro?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #556
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

In my experience,no.The screen should not go blank.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #557
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
I started the calibration of my HygroSet Digital Hygrometer this morning, and the screen shuts down after a while. I have to press the "set" button for it to come back to life. I bought it new and took off the plastic tab from the battery compartment this morning, so it couldn't be the battery. Or could it? Or is it a normal function of the hygro?

Thanks.
It sounds like a defective unit. I would go back to where you bought it and exchange it for a new one.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #558
racerX
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: john
racerX is on a distinguished road

I know that opus x get better with a little age so I have started a stash. Do patron also age well or just about as good as any other?
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #559
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

According to the Padron family their cigars are not meant to be aged. Lots of people still age them with apparently good results.

Me, I like my Padron's too much to let them sit in my humi for long

Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #560
Fredo456
Addicted

Quote:

Thanks.
The problem seems to have resolved itself. The screen hasn't shut down since yesterday, so maybe it was just some jitters.