Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #61
PenguinsFan88

Default Re: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
No matter what you buy for humidification you need to season your humidor (unless you go with Tupperware or a cooler neither of which need to be seasoned). Beads would be put in your humidor after it has seasoned.

Not sure why you want your B&M to order for you; you can order hygrometers directly from many sites including Xikar, HCM or Heartfelt.
So season first before putting my beads in eh? Bingo.

As for hopefully trying to get what will be my local B&M to order my stuff after I move, I figure it's just easier that way. I know they can order the Xikar Executive lighter that I may want and have it for me in a day. Even if I have to pay em' a little more, why not?

As for humidifacation, I'm still not sure weather to go with the Heartfelt beads, or this.

http://xikar.com/popup_pix.asp?back=...0Crystal%20Jar

Same thing yes?

With all the different stuff available, it's confusing to know what's what. Last thing I want is to order something I don't need, or forget to order something that I do need.

Believe me, I will be one happy camper when I get my humi and get it all set up nicely. Then my only concern will be getting sticks or wondering which ones to buy.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #62
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The Xikar GEL and Heartfelt BEADS are not the same thing.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #63
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88 View Post
Even if I have to pay em' a little more, why not?
Because you've repeatedly told us how limited your budget is?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #64
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yeah, that been mentioned before as well. Strange.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #65
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up. I honestly thought that the Xikar jars had beads in em'. Sorry, like I said I've been confused. So much stuff to purchase, so many options, etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #66
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I have the best solution for you, buy a humidor first and then worry about seasoning a humidor. That way it will save you all the confusion. Problem solved!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #67
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I have the best solution for you, buy a humidor first and then worry about seasoning a humidor. That way it will save you all the confusion. Problem solved!
True. But I just wanna make sure I buy everything I need to go with the humidor as well. Since I'll be grabbing everything in one shot obviously, I just don't wanna forget anything or buy something extra I don't need by mistake.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #68
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
True. But I just wanna make sure I buy everything I need to go with the humidor as well. Since I'll be grabbing everything in one shot obviously, I just don't wanna forget anything or buy something extra I don't need by mistake.
Huy's advice is sound.

There is no ready-to-go humidor kit. This hobby takes time, money, patience, and at times, trial and error. If you are looking for instant gratification, you won't find it in cigars.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #69
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Huy's advice is sound.

There is no ready-to-go humidor kit. This hobby takes time, money, patience, and at times, trial and error. If you are looking for instant gratification, you won't find it in cigars.
I know that.

I don't mind spending $ on cigars when I can, or giving cigars months or even a year or two to age nicely in a humidor. I just wanna make sure I know exactly what all I need to buy when I go to buy my humidor is all...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #70
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I know that.

I don't mind spending $ on cigars when I can, or giving cigars months or even a year or two to age nicely in a humidor. I just wanna make sure I know exactly what all I need to buy when I go to buy my humidor is all...
You've already been told what you need to know several times in this thread? What we're not sure of is why you keep re-asking the same question? The answer isn't going to change just because you've rephrased the question with slightly a different wording. At the risk of repeating, yet again, the advise already given to you several times in this thread:

There are 2 main types of beads; HCM/Shilala and Heartfelt. Both have guides for the care and use of their products on their websites. Both vendors have a calculator on their websites which will tell you how much of their beads you need for the volume of your humidor. Both also sell digital hygrometers. Just pick one, both are very good products which you'll be happy with.

This is what you need to know:

1. Buy humidor.
2. Buy digital hygrometer & beads.
3. Season humidor; see first post in this thread for the most time honoured method.
4. Add beads and cigars.
5. Allow time (ie. weeks) for humidor to stablize.
5. Monitor RH% and adjust amount of beads over time as required to achieve your desired humidity level.

It really doesn't get any simpler than that. If that doesn't make enough sense or explain it well enough then you're really not going to find the answers you're looking for here.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #71
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

I have a quick question and forgive me if this has been answered somewhere else. I just bought a used humidor I plan on aging a few boxes of cigars in. I put a dish with disitlled water in it and for three days my hygrometer, which has been salt tested, has registered 67%. The question is: why isn't the number rising? I don't think it has a leak- I tried the flashlight in a dark room test.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #72
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Did you read the first post? Seasoning will take 7-14days. This is a process that cannot be rushed. You do not need to open your humidor or look at the Rh for at least a week. Each time you open your humidor you let all the moisture out and slow down the process.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #73
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Did you read the first post? Seasoning will take 7-14days. This is a process that cannot be rushed. You do not need to open your humidor or look at the Rh for at least a week. Each time you open your humidor you let all the moisture out and slow down the process.
I did read the first post as well as many others. The confusion is because I thought when you were seasoning a humidor the RH went way up and then came down and eventually stabilized. Mine is not going up.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #74
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys, quick question. I've got my bowl of distilled water set up, but I'm wondering how much evaporation should occur. Will I be able to see a noticeable difference in the water level?

Also, I've seen a few people say putting a wet sponge on a plate will let more water evaporate, true or false?
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #75
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

The sponge gives you more surface area for the distilled water to release into the air. I didn't notice a huge drop in the water levels and I was seasoning 2 drawers and 2 shelves in my cooler. Obviously, use new sponges and just wait.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #76
Flynnster

Alright, I'm working with a 100 count humidor, just wanted to see if how much water would end up getting sucked up.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #77
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

For a 100 count, unless the humidor is leaking like a sieve, I doubt that the change in water level over 7-14 days will be visible to the naked eye.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #78
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
For a 100 count, unless the humidor is leaking like a sieve, I doubt that the change in water level over 7-14 days will be visible to the naked eye.
+1. The last time I seasoned a 100ct I had a shot glass of water in it for a week and didn't notice any appreciable change in the water level.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #79
Flynnster

Great thanks everyone! Can't wait to get this baby all ready. I've got an order sitting in my cart to load it up!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #80
Geauxbig1975
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (0)
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Geauxbig1975 is on a distinguished road

Quick question for you guys? I have a new Humidor which I have been seasoning for the past 6 days. I placed two bowls of distilled water in it and a calibrated hydrometer. I opened it today but most of the water is still there and my humidity is at 84% and steady. I live in South Louisiana so high humidity is the norm but the room the humidor resides in is at 76% humidity. Is it possible that the humidor has soaked up all the water it is going to and if so, should I remove the bowls and go ahead and put my Cigars and my Heartfelt 65% RH Beads and Puck 100 in it and see what happens? Any advice would be helpful and appreciated! I have checked the humidor for any leaks with a dollar bill and the bill will not come out when closed under the lid at any spot without quite a bit of pulling effort. Seems there are no leaks.
Geauxbig1975 is offline   Reply With Quote