Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road
Default "get your feet wet" contest winnings review: Don Pepin Garcia Generoso

This will be my fourth review of the cigars sent to me by Goldie (Drew) as my winnings in the “get your feet wet” contest. I’d like to start out by apologizing to Drew for taking so long between this and my last review… I hope he understands things get hectic during the summer.

My initial impressions of the cigar was that it was approximately 6.5-7” long in around 52 ring gauge. I noticed that is had a dark (possibly maduro) wrapper that was oily to the touch. The cigar was impeccably built and did not show ANY imperfections that I could discern.

The cigar cut nicely and upon a pre-light draw I noticed that it had a bit tighter draw than I prefer. I noticed that the cigar smelled slightly of coffee. I didn’t discern much of a flavor from the pre-light draw except a hint of dry leaves.

The cigar lit easily and cleanly and my first draw imparted leaves and left sweetness behind on my lips. I would classify the flavor profile of this cigar as “Earthy”.

The cigar remained relatively constant through the first 1/3rd.

As I entered the 2nd 1/3rd of the cigar I thought I began to get a stronger earthy flavor and could actually taste soil with the leaves… not in a bad way mind you.

The ash of the cigar was tight for the first 2/3rds but as it entered the final 1/3rd it started to get very flaky and loose. The burn on the cigar was slightly askew entering the final 1/3rd as well but it seemed to correct nicely with a quick touch-up.

After enjoying my last puff I opened the sealed envelope to discover this was a:

Don Pepin Garcia Generosos 6x50

I enjoyed this cigar very much… it still wasn’t my favorite but here’s where I would rank them so far:

#1 – La Riqueza
#2 – Don Pepin Garcia
#3 – Diesel Unholy Cocktail
#4 – Cain Maduro

Thanks again Drew!!
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote