Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 12-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electric Smoker Opinions

I am going to purchase a Weber Performer(someday) but in my research I came across the Bradley Digital Smoker. It certainly looks as if the smoker would make the process fairly automatic and not require the attention of a traditional charcoal smoker.
Has anyone any experience with said smoker?
Posted via Mobile Device
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Electric Smoker Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I am going to purchase a Weber Performer(someday) but in my research I came across the Bradley Digital Smoker. It certainly looks as if the smoker would make the process fairly automatic and not require the attention of a traditional charcoal smoker.
Has anyone any experience with said smoker?
Posted via Mobile Device
My brother had one and ended up not liking it too much. He said he felt like he didn't have enough options for the flavoring wood.

After me telling him about the Traeger Little Tex we use on our competition trailer for chicken, he recently got a Traeger 075 and loves it. You might want to consider one of those.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

I have a Cook Shack model, probably similar to the Little Tex above. Much better, IMO, than Bradley (I researched both when buying), you can even do cold smoking if need be, if you buy the "cold smoke plate" attachment.

One thing you will learn is that it doesn't take that much wood to smoke something in an electric smoker, actually very little, so that automatic feed attachment Bradley is using as its trump card is pretty much that, a useless thing that only forces you buy pucks from them on an on-going basis (great for their revenue model, though!).

I've seen Cook Shack used in restaurants. Similar models are also made by Smokin' Tex.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

My friend has one and loves it. Even if it sucked, he tell you it was fantastic. For ease of use, you can't beat it. Cold smoking is easier than on a wood one.

To me, BBQ is not about shortcuts and electricity. I am wood/charcoal all the way.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I've had a Traeger for years and love it. They have a great product and their customer support is second to none.

Chris.....
Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I picked up a Brinkman electric at Homedepot because it was a cheap and easy way to play with smoking. I am currently looking at getting a mid-range wood/charcoal smoker but for ease of use and something to play with while getting started these are great IMO.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I'm no stranger to smoking and believe a Performer will do double duty just fine however I was thinking that an electric could be set in the morning before work and by the time you get off work you could have smoked briskett for supper.
You wouldn't be able to do that with a charcoal smoker.
Posted via Mobile Device
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

I've got a Cook Shack electric that I love. It really is pretty simple to use and the results are great. I do feel like I'm cheating a bit using electricity, but it's so easy. I love that it doesn't get hot on the outside so I can use it around the kids in the family.

When I was in cooking school the only smokers in all the kitchens were Cook Shack. Made in the USA unlike some of the cheaper imitations.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

I have a brinkman that I use regularly. Ive learned to not put as much water in it, but also I have hickory that ill cut into pieces and just throw on top of hte coils so it burns, which brings my heat up and also gives ALOT more smoke.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

As already mentioned, electric smokers have a great advantage over wood/charcoal, you set it and leave it, no need to check on temps, add wood, etc. Electrics keep the temp you set, for as long as you need. As for flavor, I bet there is no difference between electrics and wood/charcoal, its a perceived difference and nothing more, don't forget that all the commercial foods you buy in stores, such as smoked fish for example, are smoked in electric smokers.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
seymour_cigar

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It is charcoal but it is pretty easy to use. I have smoked pork butt on the thing for 12 hrs and one load of charcoal with the Minion Method. I have used it in the dead of winter.

I have done butts, brisket, chicken, turkey breasts and Salmon.

ABT's and Fatties are favorites.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour_cigar View Post
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It is charcoal but it is pretty easy to use. I have smoked pork butt on the thing for 12 hrs and one load of charcoal with the Minion Method. I have used it in the dead of winter.

I have done butts, brisket, chicken, turkey breasts and Salmon.

ABT's and Fatties are favorites.
I have a WSM too. I don't think it's possible to get 12 hours with no charcoal adding even using the Minion method. I'll left the whole center chamber off to refill with the food and water in there than try to drop charcoal in through that small door.

Been using it without water in the pan and like the results. For long term smoking, I'll use the water pan.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
seymour_cigar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I have a WSM too. I don't think it's possible to get 12 hours with no charcoal adding even using the Minion method. I'll left the whole center chamber off to refill with the food and water in there than try to drop charcoal in through that small door.

Been using it without water in the pan and like the results. For long term smoking, I'll use the water pan.
It can be done. Of course good conditions helps primarily keeping the wind off of it if possible. Switching to the larger Brinkman water pan is a plus. And when adding water make sure it is hot.

For me the best thing was learning to "trust" the darn thing. At first I played with it too much. Trying to ramp the temps up too fast, adjusting the vents back and forth. Taking the lid off and looking too much.

When I quit messing with it there was a big improvement.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 AM   #14
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour_cigar View Post
Switching to the larger Brinkman water pan is a plus. And when adding water make sure it is hot.

When I quit messing with it there was a big improvement.

Won't an even larger water pan just drain the energy from the fire? I always put in hot water and if a long smoking, fill 1.5" from the top. Saves a lot of time and energy to heat it up. The intakes are very sensitive to adjustment. Once I get it up to smoking range, I choke the intake a 1/3 or so and just let it rock.