Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default iPhone cases

I have an iPhone 4S. I've had an Otterbox Defender Case since I got it. The rubber part is starting to fall apart, so I am looking around to see if there is something that meets my needs but is perhaps smaller than the Defender.

Basically, I need something that can withstand about 4-5 foot falls. I don't need waterproof and don't mind having to buy a separate cover for the screen. The old, old Otterbox that was a close fitting rubber that I used on my iPhone 3G was perfect, but I can't find those anymore.

I'm more looking for 1st hand experience since I can google with some of the best (but not all).

Suggestions?

advTHANKSance
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Kevin(n)tn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (1)
Kevin(n)tn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: iPhone cases

My otter box fell apart also. Go with a "lifeproof" I love mine.
Kevin(n)tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

I'm waiting for Magpul to come out with their case for the I5 so I can give it a whirl. Due to recent events, it may be a while before we see them.

Currently I'm using whatever the cheap kickstand version is that it came with; and it is not adequate.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

The magpul for the 4S looks like it may be what I want. I'll have to see if anyone local is carrying them and then check them out.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Life proof
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I had no idea the Lifeproof case was smaller than the Defender.
I'm gonna have to get one now.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Otterbox Defender all the way. I am rough on my phones and they do the job.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I had no idea the Lifeproof case was smaller than the Defender.
I'm gonna have to get one now.
Waterproof too, which is nice.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Kevin(n)tn
Still Watching My Back

Kevin(n)tn is on a distinguished road

I am rough on phones. The defender case didn't last long. The life proof is much thinner and more durable.
Kevin(n)tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I have the otterbox commuter and love it. Good protection in a slim case that is easy to slip in a shirt or coat pocket.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

I also use the Otter comuter on my 4s.
Garry-
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an Otterbox Defender on my 4S for over a year and just got a Griffin Survivor and I absolutely love it. Military grade tested and fantastic protection.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I scoped out the Griffin Survivor, but I just can't get beside an Otterbox Defender knockoff.
I've tried the Commuter, but I can't hold on to it. It slides right out of my hand every time I touch one.
I just get a couple Defenders at a time because I hog them up so bad. They're 15 bucks, free shipping, bulk packaging on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defen...ender+4s+black

I've heard good things about the Lifeproof cases, Mark. Just haven't tried one yet.
As soon as I see one in person I might give it a shot. They're a lot more expensive ($35 vs. $15), and the way I hog them up, it might not make sense.

Let us know if you find something, will ya?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried the Lifeproof cases and just cannot see how they protect...the inner shell is so flimsy and the outer feels so "plasticy" cheap.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I have tried the Lifeproof cases and just cannot see how they protect...the inner shell is so flimsy and the outer feels so "plasticy" cheap.
Ah but they do protect. I've beaten the **** out of mine and it works great
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The pics don't do Lifeproof any favors.
I guess it boils down to what you do. If you have to dump dirt and rocks and sawdust and grub out of your pockets every day, and habitually drop your phone or use it in nasty environments plugged into the work radio, you need as tough as tough gets.
If you're working in an office, on the road, or just aren't in construction or drilling or something, the Lifeproof looks like it'd do the job and not make a nuisance of itself like the Defender.

I've been using Otterbox everything since my first iPhone and iPad, and they look brand spankin new when I'm done with them. Never broke one, cracked a screen, or so much as scratched or chipped one. That's hard to beat.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

I think the lifeproof would work great in a construction environment since its completely sealed, even the headphone jack is sealed by an oring screw plug. Lifeproof case is also great if you want to use your phone to take photo or video in a pool or at the beach.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Lifeproof. I had the defender and like few have said the rubber fell apart.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Mark, my wife and I have had our 4s iPhones in Lifeproof cases for over a year now and we love em. They are tough, unobtrusive and have held up to abuse quite well. I've dropped my phone on more then one occasion in snow, puddles and on concrete without a problem, and my wife abuses hers on a daily basis when she throws it in her portable junk shop (purse), plus the case does not seem to impede the signal strength.
Yes they are a bit pricey, but they were worth it to us and I will buy new ones for our next iPhones when we upgrade. I hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #20
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

First Name: James
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I have an iPhone 4S. I've had an Otterbox Defender Case since I got it. The rubber part is starting to fall apart, so I am looking around to see if there is something that meets my needs but is perhaps smaller than the Defender.

Basically, I need something that can withstand about 4-5 foot falls. I don't need waterproof and don't mind having to buy a separate cover for the screen. The old, old Otterbox that was a close fitting rubber that I used on my iPhone 3G was perfect, but I can't find those anymore.

I'm more looking for 1st hand experience since I can google with some of the best (but not all).

Suggestions?

advTHANKSance
Since you aren't looking for waterproof, you might want to check out Cellhelmet. Got the ex one of these for her phone. She's broken every other 4s case she's had on her phone and hates the soft style cases since they attract so much dirt. Cellhelmet also comes with a 1yr phone "fix or replace" warranty. Very minimal with great protection and the clear shows off the nice look of the phone.
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote