Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Winter BBQ = Big success

Well, was trying to get one more BBQ before Jack Frost comes into town. I had invited a few friends from work and there wives to come up to the lake for a Saturday afternoon cookfest. May friends Richie and his wife Michele and baby Syndey came by and so Did my friends Chris (Eddie) and his future wife Lindsey

I put the baby backs on the smoker at 9am and they got there about 12:45. We started with some fresh mozzarella and yellow and red tomato salad. Also had some cheese, crackers and fruit. We started on some IPA's and Fulll Moon Winter Ale. First Cigar of the day for me was an Opus X (corona size). It was a bit bitter and needed to age some more but a great smoke to start off the day. I pulled the ribs off and cut them up and brought them inside as I got the chicken on the rotisserie. The ribs were dry rubbed 3 days prior and were smoked at 220 degrees using a combo of hickory and mesquite.

After the ribs, we had the chicken on and had an hour to kill so I then lit up Sungrown Chateau Fuente. Nice smoke, again some age would help but I just got them and wanted to try one. I opened a Bunahabbian 12 year old at this point and we started tying one on!

After we finished the cigars, be prepped a whole Grouper for steaming on the grill. We stuffed it wit Lemons, oranges and thyme. Rubbed it with salt and pepper and steamed it in a tin foil pouch with some lemon and Pinot Grigio.

Here are the pics of the ribs and fish. I'll start post # 2 on this and show the rest of the food pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribbies.jpg (119.0 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg smoking fish.jpg (96.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg grouper cooked.jpg (110.1 KB, 308 views)
Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
:eevis

Default Re: Winter BBQ = Big success

Mmmmmmm....Grouper, one of my favorites. Get it whenever I am down in Fla. In John's Pass, I had Grouper Nuggets, which were deep fried chunks of grouper, cover in chickenwing sauce. But yours certainly looks wonderful!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by :eevis View Post
Mmmmmmm....Grouper, one of my favorites. Get it whenever I am down in Fla. In John's Pass, I had Grouper Nuggets, which were deep fried chunks of grouper, cover in chickenwing sauce. But yours certainly looks wonderful!
We had a smoke first, then I did him in. He loved the Gurkha.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
kayaker

Looks great Scott. Making me hungry.

I've only had a wee sampler of Bunna. Gotta get me a bottle in Edmonton this winter. I want to do a proper Islay tasting.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Looks great Scott. Making me hungry.

I've only had a wee sampler of Bunna. Gotta get me a bottle in Edmonton this winter. I want to do a proper Islay tasting.
My version of a proper tasting this weekend was to drink a 8 ounce glass of whisky with each cigar. I felt gooooood. Honesty, I attend tastings every now and again including the Whisky classic (over 100 whiskies poured). It is an incredible way to expand your knowledge and pallate and share it with your friends. Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road

I'm sure you have tried this before, but do the same thing with the grouper except put him on the smoker. Leave it in the pouch and just cut a couple small slits in the foil at the top. Just a little smoke will give it a great taste.
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Scottw
Going Commando

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof3illinois View Post
I'm sure you have tried this before, but do the same thing with the grouper except put him on the smoker. Leave it in the pouch and just cut a couple small slits in the foil at the top. Just a little smoke will give it a great taste.
Good idea. Believe it or not, I have never cooked fish on the grill. I just winged it on this one. Love the smoking idea.