Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Pinar del Rio oscuro robusto

Pinar del Rio cigars are rolled at the La Fabrica Don Leoncio on the Dominican Republic and recently all their cigars were reblended, repacked and got a price drop. Not for sale in Europe, I was lucky to get my hands on a fiver in a box split that one of my American friends did on Cigar Asylum. The new Pinar del Rio Oscuro is made with a Brazilian oscuro wrapper, a Dominican criollo '98 binder and filler tobaccos from the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. The robusto has the classic 5x50 size.

The cigar has a classy double band and some black cloth on the foot of the cigar to protect it from damage. The wrapper is dark, shiny and oily. The construction feels good and I smell a strong straw and barnyard smell. The predraw is fine.

I taste pepper with some coffee and after a quarter of an inch some musty wood. After an inch I taste herbs and wood. After a third I get a lot of leather with some pepper and herbs, but the pepper slowly fades away.

Halfway I taste leather only but that changes into wood with nuts. The nut flavor fades to the aftertaste. After two thirds I taste wood with herbs and pepper.

This cigar lasted me ninety-five minutes, which is extremely long for a 5 inch robusto. I got a lot of thick smoke. The draw is great and the burn is good. The ash is light gray, dense and firm. This cigar is full flavored and medium to full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I still have a few left from a box split, once they are gone, I won't get more.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
Old 04-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Pinar del Rio oscuro robusto

Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Nice review again...thanks
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review. I have tried to enjoy these, have torched about 5-6 of them. Just cannot get into them.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Nice review. I have tried to enjoy these, have torched about 5-6 of them. Just cannot get into them.
I have torched a couple of these and haven't been happy with them, its a shame because they can frequently be found at some really great prices on the monster
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Nice review - thanks !
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

I have smoked three of a five pack I bought and have had to fight every one of them, which is a shame because I want to like them. All three have had super tight draws and burned crooked as hell. The last one was dry boxed for about a week and still had burn and draw problems. Maybe I'll drybox another and try again tomorrow.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

If that wrapper is Mata Fina, there is a good reason maybe that many of you are saying that you want to like
them but can't. That tobacco will make you sick if it is not blended down some. Perhaps if the wrapper
is B.M.F., then it is too much, and lip contact besides. It can taste a little like spoiling meat sometimes. If it
is blended properly it is pretty damn fine tobacco. Then again, it might not BE Mata Fina at all.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I was wondering about these and how they compare to the original blend!

I really enjoy the original release!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Nice reveiw, I just order a box from CI & was not sure about it....
Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
If that wrapper is Mata Fina, there is a good reason maybe that many of you are saying that you want to like
them but can't. That tobacco will make you sick if it is not blended down some. Perhaps if the wrapper
is B.M.F., then it is too much, and lip contact besides. It can taste a little like spoiling meat sometimes. If it
is blended properly it is pretty damn fine tobacco. Then again, it might not BE Mata Fina at all.
Why would it make you sick? Too strong?

I just smoked another today that was pretty good. The first I've been able to smoke more than an inch or two. Nice draw but it had a funky burn, so I had to keep touching it up.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review Ferd...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

I haven't smoked a stogie or contributed here in quite some time, but I just pulled one of these out of the humi and thought I'd share my experience a little. I must say this cigar has at been resting at least a year or two in my humi and this is probably the first cigar I've smoked in, maybe, a year or so.
Upon lighting I was welcomed with a flavor of burnt wood, leather, and a healthy dose of spices. About a quarter of the cigar gone and experienced what was almost a burst of sweetness ranging from honey to cocoa. It only lasted about 10 minutes or so and went back to to somewhat mild wood, leather, and spice.
Overall, this cigar was fairly one dimensional and ranged from medium to light wood and leather with some spice. No burn issues whatsoever and was a pleasant welcome back to stogies. I've been out of cigars for quite some time and have no idea what these run, but I'd be open to trying more.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote