Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Linus

Default The Gentle Essence of a Nub

Cigar Name: Nub Connecticut (3.7 x 54)

Cigar Description: Nicaraguan filler with Connecticut wrapper

Cigar Strength: Medium

Review of the Cigar itself: Nub cigars were introduced a couple of years ago with great fanfare and received with some skepticism. To many, it was a gimmick. The idea was that there is a specific part of a cigar that has the most flavour and best flavour in it. Whether true or not, some Nub cigars have good flavour. The Connecticut 54 is no exception. Well constructed with a nice firm feel to it, the cigar seems lighter than some other 54 guage cigars I've had. It toasted well with a nice gentle burned cedar scent and just enough smoke to add a nice scent to the air, a nice addition on a cool day. It wafts a light blue dance from each end and follows the wind out the window.

The ash that is created seems rather a solid mixture of white, gray and black. It remains rather consistent in form and, surprisingly, doesn't flake. Given how light feeling the cigar is I had pegged it to be a flaky kind of cigar but it stays on, even with repeated tapping. The draw is pleasant with hints of cedar and a bit of a background creamy leather taste.
Because of the smaller size of these "big" cigars, it's hard to divide it into thirds. So generally speaking, I divide it into halves. And in the 2nd half, a peppery tinge began to appear behind the leather and cedar. This cigar, while a medium in flavour, was a harmonious dance of the cedar, leather and mild pepper all the way through. The flavours were both distinct and yet, inter-twined with each other to please the palate. As I got to the "nub" (maybe stub is a better term for the end of a Nub?), I noticed little whiffs of fennel and earthier tones. Generally, this cigar required few touch-ups and the ones I had to do were because of being called to help out quickly with a chore or two. Overall, it's not an extraordinary cigar but definitely enjoyable.

Enjoyed with: Black coffee with sugar and water

Smoke time: approximately an hour and a half

Final Review Rating: 8/10

Last edited by Linus; 11-02-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: The Gentle Essence of a Nub

Aren't they only few months old? I seem to recall them being released this year? Nice pics.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

While I am not a big fan of the Nubs myself, I salute you for taking 90 minutes to smoke it. I have heard stories of people saying they are good when you need a "short" smoke and that they have a burn time of 45 minutes. I smoked the same vitola as you and after 90 minutes had barely smoked 1/2 of it, so I can't fathom people finishing this cigar in 45 minutes.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

I don't believe these are a couple of years old. I thought they were released just this year in fact.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
I don't believe these are a couple of years old. I thought they were released just this year in fact.
Looks like March 2008 to me.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
Linus

Hrmm.. for some reason I thought they were released last year. I'll adjust for it then. Memory is starting to go on this ol' boy.

And I do take my time when smoking a cigar. I like to savour them completely.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #7
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Hrmm.. for some reason I thought they were released last year. I'll adjust for it then. Memory is starting to go on this ol' boy.

And I do take my time when smoking a cigar. I like to savour them completely.
I give you major dibs for being able to tolerate a Nub that long. Though I must say your review sounds like something i'd read in the back of Cigar Aficionado. Gentle Essence is a brand of douche btw, I good a good laugh out of the title
Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Gentle Essence is a brand of douche
Joe always has the most interesting Knowledge Base.......
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Joe always has the most interesting Knowledge Base.......
I had a whippet a few years ago that would always chase down and get sprayed by skunks. Ended up giving him quite a few douche baths over the years
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Got one of these in a PIF from my friend Andrew. Will have to smoke it soon.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Gotta say, of the nubs I've had, the one you reviewed was the only one I could finish. For me, it is a very long smoke.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Linus

One of the things I always keep in mind when I do reviews and read them is that what taste good to one person is very different for another due to differences in taste buds (e.g., some people really like spicey while others really like sweet). That affects how the flavours that one gets in a cigar varying from others.

Either way, t'is all good. I do enjoy doing these reviews because it gives me an excuse to smoke more sticks.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Mod alerted for showing pictures of your "nub."

Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote