Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2024, 06:34 AM   #1
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Straus Tobacconist downtown Cincinnati closing March 30

By my understanding the third oldest cigar shop in the U.S., opened in 1880. In more or less the same spot since the 1920s.

What happened was that while they survived COVID closure (mostly stayed open as the government considered them a "vital business") their walk in customer base shrunk when people stopped going to offices downtown and started working from home.

The last straw was that their building got new owners who wanted to convert the upper floors from office to living space, condos. At first Straus was supposedly told they were still welcome on the first floor. But that has changed.

Straus has a second store across the river in northern Kentucky, so all is not lost. But that's more drive than I'd be willing to take more than once in a great while.

There's a lot more I could say, but I just wanted to lay out the gist of what happened.