Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road
Default Edgestar 28 Score!!

I have been pissed with my humidifiers for years now. I have found that it is very difficult to maintain proper humidity, even with lots of vigilance. When I found this site, I lurked around and read everything I could on humidors. I decided that an Edgestar would fit the bill for me, but I couldn't see spending the $220-$250 for one (yeah, I am cheap bastard, but my mortgage is paid). I had found the the link for the open box item and had been checking it every day for months, but no joy! Well today, I scored one (looks like the only one), plus there was free shipping. I am feeling very lucky (and my wife won't *****)!

Now, I need some of the shelves and the right amount (and type) of beads. I want to have a drawer for "ready spares" and the rest for the proper seasoning of a few hundred sticks, loose and boxed.

Please impart some wisdom on drawer configuration and type of beads please and pour it on, as I want to get this right the first time. I am tired of dried out sticks and some ruined Cubans. I know, it's a sin, so help me sin no more!

Thanks !
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Edgestar 28 Score!!

congrats on the purchase, I have a vino (same thing) and love it. I use 1.5lbs of Heartfelt 65% beads and it is rock solid, however the more full you have it, the better it will handle swings of opening and closing the door.

for the shelves/drawers, I would suggest contacting ChasDen on here, I do not own his products, however they look great and many people have been very happy with them.
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Got one myself and happy with it. You did the right thing watching for the good specials.

Most Important Thing - BE PATIENT

Step 1 - Wash out with baking soda/warm water and let dry with door open then wash with damp cloth (distilled water for both things) to clean out the soda residue. Let air out with door open (preferably in the sun if possible) for a couple of days to let the odor clear out.

Step 2 - Order 2-2.5 pounds of Shilala Beads available right here in the Asylum. (I started with 1.5 pounds and went up to 2.5 which works great) 1.5 pounds was not enough, 2 # might be did not try that.

Step 3 - get ChasDen Drawers ordered ASAP as it takes a well worth while bit of time to get them. I have 3 doubles and 1 single with 2 of his cedar shelves. Works out very nice but if you want to store more boxes then probably want to leave off one drawer.

Step 3 - Put waterproof tape over the drain hole in the bottom rear.

Step 4 - Start up unit and let it start stabalizing.

Step 5 - Install Beads and plenty of boxes/cigars.

Step 6 - Enjoy and patiently wait on the beautiful drawers and shelves to arrive.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Hot Stuff x
FNG

First Name: Les
Trading: (4)
Cohiba Army (Retired)
Hot Stuff x is on a distinguished road

Regarding drawers/shelves, you'll need to leave some room at the bottom and top of your humi. The bottom will need a shallow container to catch condensation. The top has the light bulb and controls, so you can't crowd that too much.

I installed a couple computer fans in mine, one at the bottom (sitting on one of Chasden's cedar shelves) blowing up, and another at the top rear (on a cedar shelf) blowing toward the door. This helps keep the humidity even. Some people spread their beads throughout the vinodor, but mine are mostly at the bottom, with a few at the top for balance, so I think I need the fans more than some others might.

The shelves that have fans on them have enough room to allow a couple boxes to sit on them. But I mostly buy bundles and samplers, so I need drawers. If have a bunch of boxes you can just buy shelves and store all your 'gars in boxes, but drawers are very cool and convenient.

You will have a choice of drawer designs....either single height or double height; solid bottom or slotted, and glass top or no glass. After discussions with Chuck (Chasden), I went with solid bottom and glass top. This setup will keep your 'gars humidified, but also protects against swings in humidity.

Note that a double drawer holds more than twice as much as a single. A single drawer will hold a single layer of cigars. A double will hold 3-4 layers.

Decide how much space you need for boxes (for which you will need at least 2 shelves, one top and one bottom). Then whatever space you have left over you can use for drawers.

When planning my vino setup I did a rough drawing of the vinodor (just a rectangle with lines showing where the shelf slots are located) and numbered the slots to figure out what would go where. I ended up with a shelf on the bottom slot (beads and water-catcher underneath), two empty slots, a double height and 4 single height drawers, then another shelf so I could stack stuff on top. Later I figured out I should have ordered two doubles and two singles (becuase the single height drawers don't hold enough).

So my setup ended up looking something like this:

______________________ >shelf
Single Drawer
Single Drawer
Single Drawer

Double Drawer

______________________ >Shelf
Beads Water Dish Beads
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

So YOUR the dirty dog, I saw the same thing and clicked add to my cart only to find out they no longer had anymore

lol congrats
Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

Partagas Navy (Retired)

Yeah, I have been checking for months and finally got lucky. Thanks !

I ordered two single and two double drawers and two shelves from Chuck. I can't wait !
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
irklak

Welcome to the Edgestar club!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

Partagas Navy (Retired)
Thumbs up Re: Edgestar 28 Score!!

Man, what a bummer !!! I checked on my order today and I noticed it said "backordered" . Soooooooooooo, I give CA customer service a call to see what's up. They answered quickly and told me that as they ship the units out, they test them one more time to make sure the unit is 100% (which is a good thing). Well, the smokin hot deal I got on the open box unit vanished when that unit failed to maintain temp. And, they had to refund my money due to the scarcity of the open box units. What a bummer!!!

However, all is not lost. These guys at CA are the bomb!! They switched me over to sales and Scott, the sales guy, told me I could get a new one for only $139 and that they would honor the free shipping !!! Damn, ya can't beat that. it ships out today.

I think I'll order all my appliances from them. Great customer service!! Thanks you CA!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I have purchased from them several times and they have been outstanding everytime, including the customer service dept when I had questions. Good Vendor!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote