Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
magicallylicious

Default Humidity level too low?

Well, this is my first post ever on a forum of any kind. And I'm a complete noob on cigars! I have a cheap Thompson humidor with a digital hygrometer and a 2 oz jar of CI international crystal. I seasoned the humidor with distilled water and a sponge and left it there over night, salt tested the hygrometer, stuck the jar in. It was at 68, then I added 10 cigars and for the past 3 days its reading in the low 60's. Why is this? I had left the jar out for a few months and it was dry, could this be the problem? thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidity level too low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicallylicious View Post
Well, this is my first post ever on a forum of any kind. And I'm a complete noob on cigars! I have a cheap Thompson humidor with a digital hygrometer and a 2 oz jar of CI international crystal. I seasoned the humidor with distilled water and a sponge and left it there over night, salt tested the hygrometer, stuck the jar in. It was at 68, then I added 10 cigars and for the past 3 days its reading in the low 60's. Why is this? I had left the jar out for a few months and it was dry, could this be the problem? thanks!
I am not a big fan of the crystal, a good first step would be to buy some shilala beads from member CigarNut (Michael).

When you add cigars, they are often at a lower RH than the humidor, and will temporarily bring your RH down. Might take a few days to level off, but the low 60s will not harm your cigars (I store mine at 62% or so full time).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

If the gel in the jar is dry you need to add 50/50 solution to bring it back to the full level.....im not an expert but i would season the humi for a lot moore than 1 night i left my newest humi for 2 weeks it had thick cedqar and with a moistened sponge( distilled water) it takes a while to season IMO
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Sounds like you may not have your humidor fully seasoned just yet. What I would recommend is reading this thread closely for information on seasoning a new humidor: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

You can put your sticks in a zip-lock for the time it will take the humidor to stabilize. Lots of people store their cigars well in to the low 50% range. I am experimenting with 58% right now and am liking the results.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
If the gel in the jar is dry you need to add 50/50 solution to bring it back to the full level.....im not an expert but i would season the humi for a lot moore than 1 night i left my newest humi for 2 weeks it had thick cedqar and with a moistened sponge( distilled water) it takes a while to season IMO
That is incorrect. Only add distilled water to the gel. At best, the PG does nothing and is just money wasted, at worst, it screws up the gel. Different makers used different formulas for the gel so what it does depends on a few things.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicallylicious View Post
Another thing to bear in mind is that it's winter and the RH of North America is low.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman View Post
Another thing to bear in mind is that it's winter and the RH of North America is low.
This is really completely irrelevant. It does mean that if you leave your humidor open it will lose humidity, this is the case in most of the Western US 90% of the year. A humidor is meant to be a totally separate environment for your cigars. Once properly seasoned a humidor is setup and maintained it will function with little influence from outside Rh.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
This is really completely irrelevant. It does mean that if you leave your humidor open it will lose humidity, this is the case in most of the Western US 90% of the year. A humidor is meant to be a totally separate environment for your cigars. Once properly seasoned a humidor is setup and maintained it will function with little influence from outside Rh.
This assumes that the humidor has a good seal...
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
That is incorrect. Only add distilled water to the gel. At best, the PG does nothing and is just money wasted, at worst, it screws up the gel. Different makers used different formulas for the gel so what it does depends on a few things.
For the little jars of crystals, PG is actually the best thing to put in there. Most of the time, the jars even advertise to use the company's brand of PG(ie Xikar, which is what I use). Distilled water works fine in them, but over time the crystals will no longer be able to absorb as much as they used to.(learned this the hard way with one of my jars)
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
This assumes that the humidor has a good seal...
That's what I was getting at, along with the fact that 60% of humidor owners don't have as good of a seal as they think. I can tell him firsthand that the little Thompson Cherrywood humidors don't hold a very good seal at all. I'm talking to the point where I got mine for Christmas and I'm already replacing it.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Sonic04GT
Feeling at Home

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Sonic04GT will become famous soon enough

As mentioned above, if the jar has been sitting out, it's likely dry. Add some distilled water to it.

Also give it a few days to stabilize. Mine did the same thing and holds 65-69 now. FL humidity fluctuates a lot.
Sonic04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
For the little jars of crystals, PG is actually the best thing to put in there. Most of the time, the jars even advertise to use the company's brand of PG(ie Xikar, which is what I use). Distilled water works fine in them, but over time the crystals will no longer be able to absorb as much as they used to.(learned this the hard way with one of my jars)
There are a lot of different formulations to make a super absorbent polymer and it's possible that Xikar uses a rather different formulation than others, one which requires PG to maintain humidity, is something that I have heard before.

Most of the ones out there which are sold for cigar use are self-regulating around 65-70 RH with only water. The differences in formulation also explain why you generally can't take stuff from the arts and crafts store floral section and just stick it in a humidor, or, more accurately, why it doesn't give you a desirable RH when you do.

Also, going back to the formulation, certain formulations have different useable lifespans than others. Some are good for a few years, some are good for a decade before they "wear out".

Regarding some of the companies, the fact that they want you to buy their PG/water solution, when the PG doesn't do anything for the gel is classic marketing.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I use shilala beads not gel jars but im pretty sure distilled water or 50/50 can be used in the jars.... Spend the money and get beads
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Anyway...

Beads. Whether you go with Shilala's or Heartfelt's, you can only go right.