Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #81
Wanger

Default Re: Any triathletes here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Yep..it is in July in San Marcos, TX. The swim is what I am struggling with. It is only 500m too. I am just a very slow swimmer. Hopefully I can get the stamina to make it through the swim and make it up on the bike&run.
Don't be afraid to rest at the buoys if you have to, or with a cute lifeguard. Survive the swim, and beat down the beyotches on the rest.

I'm gonna guess it will be too warm to allow wetsuits. If not, use one. It helps for confidence at the minimum.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #82
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

yep. Definitely too warm for wetsuits.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #83
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hopefully I can get the stamina to make it through the swim and make it up on the bike&run.
You will. Pace your self and don't fret if you are getting passed in the water. 500M is not that long. How long do you think it will take to complete that leg?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #84
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You will. Pace your self and don't fret if you are getting passed in the water. 500M is not that long. How long do you think it will take to complete that leg?
I have no idea. I am staying out of the way and allowing 10-12 mins. I am a weak swimmer. I just simply do not do it much. I am swimming everyday other day now to try and get ready. It is a 25m pool I am swimming in, so 20 laps just seems sooooo far.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #85
Wanger

Quote:
I have no idea. I am staying out of the way and allowing 10-12 mins. I am a weak swimmer. I just simply do not do it much. I am swimming everyday other day now to try and get ready. It is a 25m pool I am swimming in, so 20 laps just seems sooooo far.
My guess is that you'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 min, honestly. My last race last year was a 1/4 mile swim, and I did it in 9:36. In the race I did Sunday, it was a 1/2 mile swim, and my time was 19:01. I'm a middle of the pack swimmer.

As was said, don't worry about the others around you. The main thing I can say is what was told to me before I did my first...trust your training. Focus on yourself, as well, and pay no attention to those around you in the water, unless you're using them for sighting purposes (rather than trying to locate the buoys on your own). You will get hit, kicked, and bumped. Know that going in, and do your best to not let it completely throw you off. Simply try to just bounce off and keep going. Obviously, the swim is the most difficult part of a tri for most people (I'm no exception). Do what you can to block out the people around you and focus on your stroke and breathing. If you can do that, you'll be just fine.

I'm definitely no expert, but I've learned a few things in the races that I've done, and if I can pass that knowledge on to help others, it makes me feel good.

I love doing these races, and the physical and mental challenge of them is simply awesome.

...and yes, I know I'm completely insane. That's why I fit in so well here.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #86
Wanger

Just under 2 weeks to my next race. Starting my taper this week. I have to admit that I'm getting a bit nervous about this race. I will be able to handle the swim and cruise through the bike, but I'm hoping to be able to stave off cramping and push through the 13.1 mile run. THAT'S going to be the painful part for me...the last half of that run.

Anyone done any others through the summer?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #87
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Mine is July 24th.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #88
Wanger

Quote:
Mine is July 24th.
Hah...same date here. I'll virtual smoke in celebration with you that night.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #89
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

OH YEAH! Mine is just a srpint Tri though to get my feet wet in the sport.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #90
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I did win a gold member on a beer olympic team, but I guess that doesn't much apply here.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #91
Wanger

Quote:
OH YEAH! Mine is just a srpint Tri though to get my feet wet in the sport.
I'll give you the advice I got here before I did my first...trust your training. You've put in all the time, and done all the drills. You CAN do it. Just relax and go at your own pace. Focus on what you're doing and need to do, and everything will be OK. Don't panic in the water. There are buoys and lifeguards if you need to rest/reset. Set your transition area up in order, and everything set and ready so that you don't have to think much there. Have a drink and gel there, as well. KEEP HYDRATED! NOT with only water, though! But the most important thing I can say is ENJOY THE DAY! Race with a smile on your face and have FUN! Having that kind of attitude helps it go MUCH better. I try to and it makes it all feel so much easier and better.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help from my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I did win a gold member on a beer olympic team, but I guess that doesn't much apply here.
LOL!
Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #92
Wanger

About 48 hours from now, I will be nearing the finish on the run for my next event, the Chisago Lakes Triathlon, long course. Nerves are kicking up a bit, and I keep telling myself, I've made it through each portion in my training. Compartmentalize each portion that way, and I will be able to do it. Keep my own pace on the swim, push it on the bike, and push through the pain on the run. Jeebus, I'm realizing how insane I am.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #93
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
About 48 hours from now, I will be nearing the finish on the run for my next event, the Chisago Lakes Triathlon, long course. Nerves are kicking up a bit, and I keep telling myself, I've made it through each portion in my training. Compartmentalize each portion that way, and I will be able to do it. Keep my own pace on the swim, push it on the bike, and push through the pain on the run. Jeebus, I'm realizing how insane I am.
Is it Olympic length? Good luck.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #94
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Good luck Mike.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #95
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I am doing one tomorrow. I have been training for years and I am finally ready.

Breakfast... Lunch, AND Dinner...

I hope I can pace myself so I don't cramp. Everyone thinks I am out of my mind for tackling such a daunting task, but I just tell them that they can think I am crazy, and I can handle anything!!!!

Now, where is that corned beef jerky!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #96
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I am doing one tomorrow. I have been training for years and I am finally ready.

Breakfast... Lunch, AND Dinner...

I hope I can pace myself so I don't cramp. Everyone thinks I am out of my mind for tackling such a daunting task, but I just tell them that they can think I am crazy, and I can handle anything!!!!

Now, where is that corned beef jerky!
LOL Pete. Hope you didn't pull a hammy. :-P

Quote:
Is it Olympic length? Good luck.
Nope...half iron.

Race results: 63:51

Going in, I just wanted to finish. I'd have pleased with 7:00, and ecstatic with 6:30. Well, I'm ecstatic. Swim went awesome...44 and change. Bike went smoothly and as expected. Run was the tough part. Started salting out at about 8 miles, and doubled up from there on out at the water stops. The best part of the whole thing for me was my boys running the last ~100 yards to the finish line with me. Can't wait to see that on the race pictures!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #97
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
LOL Pete. Hope you didn't pull a hammy. :-P

Nope...half iron.

Race results: 63:51

Going in, I just wanted to finish. I'd have pleased with 7:00, and ecstatic with 6:30. Well, I'm ecstatic. Swim went awesome...44 and change. Bike went smoothly and as expected. Run was the tough part. Started salting out at about 8 miles, and doubled up from there on out at the water stops. The best part of the whole thing for me was my boys running the last ~100 yards to the finish line with me. Can't wait to see that on the race pictures!

Damn fine job. Half Iron is a helluva accomplishment.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #98
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

BIG congrats, Mike.... That is awesome!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #99
Wanger

Thanks guys. I'll add a couple pics once we get moved and can get them off the camera onto the computer.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #100
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Did a dry run of the Sprint Tri on Saturday. I should come in under 2hrs.