Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #21
Hardcz

Default Re: Martial Arts - What Do/Did You Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Does MCMAP count??

Hell yea, wish I could take and teach those courses... I'd be happier than flies on cow ****
Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #22
Drat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Yea.... you'll never suspect a fat guy could move so fast
Us skinny guys tend to move faster, but have a hell of a time hurting you big guys. I did a scissor takedown on a guy pushing 300# once and I swear the ground shook. The bad part was I couldn't get the bottom leg out from under his giant legs and he rolled onto me. That's some scary shiat right there, I tell you what!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat View Post
Us skinny guys tend to move faster, but have a hell of a time hurting you big guys. I did a scissor takedown on a guy pushing 300# once and I swear the ground shook. The bad part was I couldn't get the bottom leg out from under his giant legs and he rolled onto me. That's some scary shiat right there, I tell you what!
lol, dude i was sparring this one guy, lean, maybe 6'3 he did that to me, I was probably 215 at the time, I caught the ****er, took him down with an elbow to the chest... luckily we were on a mat.... like that helped any

Only reason I did that was because this is the bastage who was showing off his "jumping skillz" with a flying side kick while I was holding the bag....he missed and kicked my head instead.... don't hate the person... get even lol
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

If anyone is interested, I'm a mod at Martial Talk. It has a nice, community feel (much like here). Once in a while we get one of the "my style is the best and everything else sucks" or "Who would win a fight, Bruce Lee or Steven Segal" morons, but they generally get shut down pretty quick.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #25
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Once in a while we get one of the "my style is the best and everything else sucks" or "Who would win a fight, Bruce Lee or Steven Segal" morons, but they generally get shut down pretty quick.
Smart people realize they all compliment each other... save for TKD... that style just sucks

Also, no contest, bruce lee....
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
Drat

Quote:
Smart people realize they all compliment each other... save for TKD... that style just sucks

Hahaha, I've got a great TKD story.

I was a bluebelt and we got in a 4th degree who had a falling out with his TKD "master"* He was unsure about starting another style since he's spent 5 years in TKD (yes, that's right, 5 years to a 4th degree!). The weekend sparring class came around and my instructor didn't know who to pair him up against for his first time fighting (it was point-sparring that day). I got picked and wasn't sure was going to happen, the guy was a 4th degree TKD balckbelt afterall! The guy had some of the most beautiful flying, spinning kicks I'd ever seen. I stepped to the side as he was doing them at me and punched him in the head. he looked at me with the most confused look ever, sort of like a "where the hell did you go?" looks. This happened 2 more times and I was declared the victor. I have to give the guy credit though, he didn't give up. He lasted about 6 months before he decided he wanted to go back to TKD. He just couldn't figure out how to not fight in a straight line...

*we had a joke about TKD instructors back in the day: The day the get their 1st degree, they get a plane ticket to america. The get on the plane and they are a 2nd degree. The plane reaches altitude and the are a 3rd degree. Touchdown in America = 4th degree, and when they get off the plane, they are 5th degree masters...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #27
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
What if Segal uses his deadly "sped-up fight scene" skill?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #28
Hardcz

Quote:
Hahaha, I've got a great TKD story.

I was a bluebelt and we got in a 4th degree who had a falling out with his TKD "master"* He was unsure about starting another style since he's spent 5 years in TKD (yes, that's right, 5 years to a 4th degree!). The weekend sparring class came around and my instructor didn't know who to pair him up against for his first time fighting (it was point-sparring that day). I got picked and wasn't sure was going to happen, the guy was a 4th degree TKD balckbelt afterall! The guy had some of the most beautiful flying, spinning kicks I'd ever seen. I stepped to the side as he was doing them at me and punched him in the head. he looked at me with the most confused look ever, sort of like a "where the hell did you go?" looks. This happened 2 more times and I was declared the victor. I have to give the guy credit though, he didn't give up. He lasted about 6 months before he decided he wanted to go back to TKD. He just couldn't figure out how to not fight in a straight line...

*we had a joke about TKD instructors back in the day: The day the get their 1st degree, they get a plane ticket to america. The get on the plane and they are a 2nd degree. The plane reaches altitude and the are a 3rd degree. Touchdown in America = 4th degree, and when they get off the plane, they are 5th degree masters...
Great story.... took on average 5-6 years to get a first degree in my primary art.... mostly to get you mentally ready, the physical part came with all the training...

I went to two different TKD places when I moved from home...about 100 miles away, so I needed a new school.... I walked in wearing my gi, no belt, didn't think it was right, I was already 9 years invested in various other arts at this point... didn't say I knew anything. They were teaching me the basic kata and basic moves... thing that got me is when they were telling me how to do a front kick, they told me to drop my hands to my sides... this was coming from a black belt...

And I know from sparring and tournaments if you do that you'll get your nose broken... I know this from personal experience.... get hit in the head enough you keep your hands up to protect it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
What if Segal uses his deadly "sped-up fight scene" skill?
Ya man, watch enter the dragon.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #29
Drat

Quote:
thing that got me is when they were telling me how to do a front kick, they told me to drop my hands to my sides... this was coming from a black belt...
Thing is, TKD has all of 5 hand strikes. Protecting the head is easier when you're only looking out for feet. It is by far the least practical "self defense" system.

Oh, fun side note: There was a TKD studio in HB CA named "The House of Discipline", no kidding!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Oh, fun side note: There was a TKD studio in HB CA named "The House of Discipline", no kidding!
If it's like some of the places around here, they "discipline" you into paying on your contract each month...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Darrell

I have an Apprentice Black Belt (3rd Kyu) in Koden Kan Karate. I stopped training when I was about 17. I'd like to get back into it and get my 1st Dan, when the knee gets fixed.

TKD is a joke. Seriously. I used to love sparring TKD guys in tournaments. Easy wins every time.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
TKD is a joke. Seriously. I used to love sparring TKD guys in tournaments. Easy wins every time.
I used to love the point sparring guys when I was bouncing. They'd get a few drinks in them and think they were bad enough to take on the doorman when I told them to leave. I'd get hit with a bunch of that tappy-tap ****, then I'd bounce them off a few tables on the way out of the bar.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Martial Arts - What Do/Did You Study

Tae Kwon Do in my early teens, only got up to a blue belt. Tried to get into Tai chi chuan using dvd training videos a couple of years back, but just could not get the weight shifting down pat. It did not feel at all natural.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM   #34
MithShrike

I learned aikido up to blue belt when I was about 11-12. I didn't really like it though because I was a lot bigger than all the other kids in the class and didn't think I was learning properly. None of them were even close to my size. The advanced students my age had trouble taking me down too.

I've been thinking about getting into qigong but I dunno.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #35
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I was a TKD student in my high school years. I don't think i remember much though. all the kicking was cool till my uncle asked me to show him what i learned, first kick, he stepped into it and he dropped me like a rock.

hopefully (not lazy) i'll be taking either jui jitsu, or krav maga when i get around to it. just thinking about it makes my limbs hurt. i really got to start stretching more. also i feel bad for anyone that i spar with because i sweat like a hog when doing anything.
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
ChicagoWhiteSox

greco roman wrestling- started in 1999
jiu-jitsu- started in 2005
Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #37
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough

I have studied Tae Kwon Do and also studied Jiu Jitsu. Jiu Jitsu was my favorite as I feel it was more tactical and useful.

Haven't done either for a while

I would love to study Krav Maga but there are no close schools
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #38
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

out of curiosity, for those that have studied jiu jitsu, how does it deal with multiple opponents? does any form factor in multiple opponents?
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #39
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
out of curiosity, for those that have studied jiu jitsu, how does it deal with multiple opponents? does any form factor in multiple opponents?
You just do it.... you're aware of your surroundings and kick ass...
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #40
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Traditional Japanese jujutsu doesn't have as much of a focus on the ground game, so it's more versatile in my opinion.
But those UFC fanboys are pretty dangerous.