Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough
Default Good Starter Pipe

So I'm looking around for a good starter pipe and figured I would see what you guys here had to say. I don't want to spend a ton of money right now, but is there a "go-to brand" of pipes that are a safe buy even for a cheaper pipe?

Any websites I could use would be a great help too...I'm litterally starting from scratch here.

Thanks!!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Gary
waiting for my next smoke

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
Gary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good Starter Pipe

I started off with this little Peterson, about $54.00, awesome pipe, I have since purchased 2 Jake Hackerts, but this little guy is still one of my favorites.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Missouri Meershaum Corn Cobb Pipe, is great way to start. Not as flashy, or "sophisticated" but they smoke pretty well and they dont cost much at all. Great for a beginner!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
I started off with this little Peterson, about $54.00, awesome pipe, I have since purchased 2 Jake Hackerts, but this little guy is still one of my favorites.

Great starter pipe, great price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Missouri Meershaum Corn Cobb Pipe, is great way to start. Not as flashy, or "sophisticated" but they smoke pretty well and they dont cost much at all. Great for a beginner!
Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
andrew

Sav Naturals are great and they run for less than 40 I think. LaRocca are decent and can be had for as low as mid 30's. Also, though I havent owned one, Jobey I hear are decent too, and run 40's-50's, but I'd definitely read some reviews before you buy anything. I like pipesandcigars.com for starters, good prices on tobacco also.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Sav Naturals are great and they run for less than 40 I think. LaRocca are decent and can be had for as low as mid 30's. Also, though I havent owned one, Jobey I hear are decent too, and run 40's-50's, but I'd definitely read some reviews before you buy anything. I like pipesandcigars.com for starters, good prices on tobacco also.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Great starter pipe, great price...

Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...
I actually think Cobbs are far more low maintenance than a briar pipe. You don't need to break in Cobbs by forming a cake, and cleaning is simply dumping out the tobacco and ash left in the pipe. After a day of aggressive piping, you can still smoke a cobb just as aggressively the next day, whereas you'll want your briar to sit at least a day to rest an dry out. Then, comes the whole journey of learning to light your pipe, which, will ruin (IMHO) any briar pipes in it's path. Cobbs are $5-7 and really wont be too missed if you char the hell our of the rim when learning to light.

OP: Either way Jim, now you have two opinions. The Peterson is definitely snazzy!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I actually think Cobbs are far more low maintenance than a briar pipe. You don't need to break in Cobbs by forming a cake, and cleaning is simply dumping out the tobacco and ash left in the pipe. After a day of aggressive piping, you can still smoke a cobb just as aggressively the next day, whereas you'll want your briar to sit at least a day to rest an dry out. Then, comes the whole journey of learning to light your pipe, which, will ruin (IMHO) any briar pipes in it's path. Cobbs are $5-7 and really wont be too missed if you char the hell our of the rim when learning to light.

OP: Either way Jim, now you have two opinions. The Peterson is definitely snazzy!
True, very true...but for the price I'd still pick the Pete...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Awesome...thanks everyone. I really like that Peterson!!

I'll have to check out that website and get going on this.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Gary

yeah, I really like mine. Small, easy for me to deal with, very lightweight, I often think about ordering a 2nd one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa View Post
Awesome...thanks everyone. I really like that Peterson!!

I'll have to check out that website and get going on this.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Are there any "go to" brands of pipe tobacco to start with? I'm reading a bunch of reviews, but I don't know one brand from another at this point.

I saw some tobaccos that were black cherry and other flavors like that...are those worth it? I'm kind of curious to see what those are like.

One more question: Should I follow the same rule as cigars when choosing a lighter...not to use any liquid fuel lighters and stick with butane?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Quote:
Are there any "go to" brands of pipe tobacco to start with? I'm reading a bunch of reviews, but I don't know one brand from another at this point.

I saw some tobaccos that were black cherry and other flavors like that...are those worth it? I'm kind of curious to see what those are like.

One more question: Should I follow the same rule as cigars when choosing a lighter...not to use any liquid fuel lighters and stick with butane?
What sort of tobacco do you want to try? Aromatic? Stronger, smokier? Naturally Sweet/Subtle/spicey? This would help a little bit with suggestions.

As for lighters, Go with butane, soft flame, or matches, at least to start with. There are varying opinions on using torches, so you'll have to figure out what side you're on.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Thanks M.J.

I would really like to try some of the aromatic tobaccos on the sweet side. I was looking at some of the sampler tins (Cherry/Wine/Vanilla):

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/samplers.html
Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Newbie Sampler trade - for pipe tobacco

As a new piper you might want to check out the above thread also...
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Newbie Sampler trade - for pipe tobacco

As a new piper you might want to check out the above thread also...
Thanks Marc. I definitley plan on doing the NST...I just don't have anything to trade yet.

I was looking at that thread this morning...definitely looks like a great way to try some different tobaccos.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Quote:
Thanks Marc. I definitley plan on doing the NST...I just don't have anything to trade yet.

I was looking at that thread this morning...definitely looks like a great way to try some different tobaccos.
Sent you a PM clarifying the rules of the pipe tobacco NST for you...you don't need anything to trade yet...you get them a tin of what they want...
Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Sent you a PM clarifying the rules of the pipe tobacco NST for you...you don't need anything to trade yet...you get them a tin of what they want...
Got it...thanks Marc!!

Go figure...it was all in the instructions...Doh!!

I was thinking this would work like the cigar NST...guess that's what I get for assuming.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #18
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

So apparently that Peterson is a popular pipe. I ordered one a little over a week ago and it looks like they are still back ordered.

That's usually a good sign though...I can't wait.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
Gary

This place seems to have them.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
Thanks...if I find out the wait is going to be longer, I might just modify my order and go through this place. I'll give them a day or two...