Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road
Default Cabinet humidor advice

So I got a really nice temp + rh control Mxt aristocrat cabinet back in October with dual humidifiers on the bottom shelf and twin peltier coolers. I moved my cigars into it as well as purchased some additional boxes. Needless to say, I may have gotten a bit over jealous in my purchases, as I have had some trouble getting the last few boxes in there (I was eventually successful with some creative tetris). It is worth noting my last reorganization of the boxes was after Christmas, before NYE. So the pictured arrangement has been this way un-rotated for about a month.

I smoked many cigars in Nov and December (before I had to jam so many in there), and they were all wonderful. I had one around New Years (early January) and it was fine, but didn't have for a few weeks after that until this week. Well, I've had 3 cigars this week, and they have all been unpleasant and dry! The cabinet temp has always been set at 68 degrees, and the hygrometer seems rock solid, set at 63rh. I also have additional rh sensor units on each shelf that all read 67rh or 68rh, so I would think the rh in the cabinet is good. However, I opened several random boxes from each shelf and many of them are just dry, regardless of top shelf or bottom shelf.

I can of course just turn the rh settings up a couple of points, but am confused given the readings I see, as they don't align with the actual cigar dryness I am observing. Do I have it stuffed too full? Can that affect the airflow so much that even though the rh reads good, they are really drying out quickly?? I always heard that if it was full it was more consistent and easier to maintain!

I am new to large cabinets like this, so any advice or insight from those with experience would be much appreciated!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (93.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (109.4 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (101.0 KB, 175 views)

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cabinet humidor advice

I'm at a loss. Are the secondary hygromteters all calibrated? If so, I'm stumped as to why the cigar seem dry.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

I have put them all together on the same shelf to test them in a few months back and they were all within 1% of each other, so I am confident that cannot be TOO far off.

My fear is I just have too much stuffed in there and am inadvertently blocking airflow. But maybe all you guys have cabinets that look like this too...

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I have an MTX with the same humidifier, pretty much stuffed to the gills, and no issues with dryness. Set at 61RH, Matthew.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I had a Aristo as well and never had problems.

Were the cigars dry before you started, it seems if they were a bit dry when you put them in then I can see where the humidity might not have a chance to get them all up to part, but I suppose in that case it would be running constantly. So why am I posting here, I have no idea, but hi, how you dewin?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Yeah they were all great when they went in at various times since October. Smoked fine until this week, I guess they reached that tipping point in the past 3 weeks....

Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Ah rule of 3s....

Wow that's really only a couple months, with that many boxes and that tightly packed even if it wasn't running at all it's hard to imagine them all getting that dry.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #8
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

I just thought of something else. I have quite a few boxes I have acquired from others that were sealed in foodsaver bags. I have them throughout the humidor mixed in with non-sealed boxes. Is it possible the excess plastic sticking out around those boxes (I can hear plastic gently scraping against the sides and doors when I open / close humidor) could be blocking air flow? Isn't that plastic non porous?

Anybody else store any boxes sealed in plastic in their humidors?

Old 01-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I have a small cabinet and have had it stuffed so full I was surprised any circulation was possible and didnt have this happen. I would recommend recalibrating the hygrometers and watch the RH after that.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have an MTX with the same humidifier, pretty much stuffed to the gills, and no issues with dryness. Set at 61RH, Matthew.
My cabinet, setup, and RH is the same as Tom's. My advice is this: time. That's a lot of cigars and boxes to humidify, so let it sit for a good long time. Use desktops to hold the cigars you plan to smoke and just leave the mtx door closed (I should follow my own advice!).
Old 01-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
Anybody else store any boxes sealed in plastic in their humidors?
I do. If I do not know for certain that the source freezes, then I freeze and leave them in the plastic for a long time. Doesn't hurt airflow.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I think he's referring to leaving them in food saver bags vs. keeping them in the plastic the manufacturer wraps the boxes in.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I think he's referring to leaving them in food saver bags vs. keeping them in the plastic the manufacturer wraps the boxes in.
Still shoudln't affect the humidity of the uncovered boxes.