Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 10-21-2010, 03:31 AM   #1301
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
I can't find any d*mn charcoal anymore, any suggestions?
Lowes down here has Stubbs all year long. Not sure about there though.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1302
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
I can't find any d*mn charcoal anymore, any suggestions?
Home Depot / Lowes.

As much as I hate to say it, Wally-world....
Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #1303
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Hahaha, BREAD is keeping this thread down today, and all last week, too?? That is hilarious.
But I have to admit, I am getting so fat that I didn't even CONTEMPLATE starting a fire this weekend.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #1304
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

BUUUUUUUTTTTttt This weekend, screw it! Spareribs and Hamburgers and probably chicken wings
if I can find some cheap. God I remember when you wouldn't FIND a human that wanted a chicken wing,
now they are the freaking most expensive cut on the damn chicken. Found Sweet Baby Ray's at
Biglots today. Virgin territory for me, but the entire BBQ eating world can't be wrong.

There is so much wood down this week after that storm, I'd be crazy not to start a fire.
Really looking forward to it after two straight weekends not cooking.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #1305
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
BUUUUUUUTTTTttt This weekend, screw it! Spareribs and Hamburgers and probably chicken wings
if I can find some cheap. God I remember when you wouldn't FIND a human that wanted a chicken wing,
now they are the freaking most expensive cut on the damn chicken. Found Sweet Baby Ray's at
Biglots today. Virgin territory for me, but the entire BBQ eating world can't be wrong.

There is so much wood down this week after that storm, I'd be crazy not to start a fire.
Really looking forward to it after two straight weekends not cooking.
You speak the truth about wings... My dad still won't eat one. But I am older than you!!! I can remember when we gave ribs away when we were butchering hogs. Chitlins, head, ribs, and feet were given away. The rest we ate.

Good luck on the cook this weekend. I think I am doing two butts for a charity thing I forgot I gave five 2 pound bags of pulled pork to!!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #1306
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Two days of rain predicted here, hopefully it will break by Saturday, I have a bunch of habaneros to smoke, and Nugget has chuck on sale this week...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #1307
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Just smoked 9lbs of bacon for about 6hrs(cold smoke), and about 3 lbs of elk rib meat that I decided to call a roll roast when I butchered the beast(it was a really thin piece of meat). Brined for 5 days in Porter salt and pepper then 10hrs of smoking time I rolled it back up dropped it in the freezer for 2hrs and sliced super thin pieces... Then fry it up with a little bacon fat(elk has no fat of its own) and enjoy on a sandwich. Both cherry smoked, will have pix up soon.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1308
OLS
Suck It

Shi+ Brent, I am 48, lol.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #1309
OLS
Suck It

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOooooooo.
I bought DANISH RIBS.

Help me Oprah, help me Jesus, help me Chuck Norris.
I still think I can save it. Found wings at a good price, $3.89 for a big ol pack, looks like 15 each in there.
Got two of those. One rack of Baby backs with a sale price in it, the rest were a buck higher. NOT reduced.
And the aforementioned "danish" ribs, or as the BBQing professionals call em, dog food.
Still, if anyone can make em edible, my money's on me.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #1310
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

This thread should only have pics!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #1311
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
This thread should only have pics!

While I dont agree with this comment.....c'mon guys, wheres the pics?

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #1312
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Mmmmm pictures....from a couple of weeks ago...one brisket and two pork butts.

tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #1313
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
While I dont agree with this comment.....c'mon guys, wheres the pics?
You want pics of my GROCERIES Mr. B?
But I will make a fire tonight. I told the kid downstairs that if he picked up all the random sticks
in the yard that we'd make some pyro action tonight. I swear that boy likes fire. I told him that my
ghost would come back from the grave to haunt him if he ever played with fire in the house.
Can you imagine, MY cigar collection, gone in 60 seconds. I'd kill him.
I can definitely say that the Danish ribs deserve a pic, cause I think it's safe to say that no
one here will admit to using them. Or having cooked them since this thread started at least.
But I am hoping that they at least taste like meat. I've heard fish references. I am thinking
of telling the kid downstairs they are dog.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #1314
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Those look awesome Luke! Great job.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #1315
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
You want pics of my GROCERIES Mr. B?
Pre-smoked goodies are always good too.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #1316
OLS
Suck It

Well I forgot to take pictures on the grill but it was dark and the camera was not downstairs. So cold photos it is. Way overdone, but it was dark and I was cooking by beers. Always a bad idea. When I was ready to get um browned up on either side, I kinda got talky. Imagine that. If you missed it, these were the world infamous Danish Ribs that are 89 cents a lb and have about 80 cents worth of meat on em. But they'll eat. The meat is a little bacony, which is freaking fine by me. Salt box for scale.
I like my bacon DONE. Got one more rack I will do tomorrow with the wings. Maybe in the light I won't dry em out.

What, Me Worry?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg danish1.jpg (81.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg danish2.jpg (50.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg danish 3.jpg (57.1 KB, 389 views)
Old 10-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #1317
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

So, Brad, edjumicate me here...

Danish ribs. To be totally honest here, prior to your post, I'd never heard of, nor seen them, could just be regional though. These are really imported from Denmark? Yes, I read the descriptions n the various bbq sites, but still,... So basically, are the descriptions correct? Low to no meat, shiners galore, and just, in a word, crap?
Old 10-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #1318
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
So basically, are the descriptions correct? Low to no meat, shiners galore, and just, in a word, crap?
Correct on all counts, even the rarely mentioned fishy taste.
OK, Danish Ribs are leftover meat products from the production of Danish Hams in the quaint Kingdom of Denmark.
The pigs over there are quaint, too. In fact when you pull the frozen "slab" out of the case it's like you are holding
a frozen pizza of that shape. Like a thin frisbee. If frisbees were rib shaped. Like whatever the McRib is. Once
you St. Louis cut em, you are left with two favorites, a nice strip of 'knuckle' and cartilage. But this is better than
spares because the thin strip of meat that usually extends over this entire strip has a bacony taste due to it's
thinness and done-ness. I still cube em with a butcher knife and fill a small bowl with delightful chunks til I hit
the cartilage and toss em to the dogs. But then you have the Vietnamese-looking doggie rack left, and there
is really not much meat there. But what's there takes smoke well since it is so thin and can be cooked in half
the time, obviously, but they can be easily over-cooked if, as I said, you are drinking a few beers. I can also
report that if you aren't looking, it WILL 'jump up a fishy taste' now and again. I think it is how the meat cooks
and the proximity of bone to cartilage and meat while it cooks. But if you like bacon and a kind of Omega 3
taste, lol, you should do OK. Or rather Ii can say the slightly SWEET taste of regular rib meat is a saltier taste
in this meat. And if you have a lot of BBQ sauce, I imagine these take to it well with a good sauce to meat ratio.
Today I am going to cook one more rack I have leftover and a rack o babybacks and a dozen wings. As to the
other questions, you get these in a store where...or rather I should say, I think most major stores CARRY them,
but you tend to see people BUY these where there are a lot of low income people who can look at two products
and justify one being a rip off at 3 times the price. It's kind of a sour grapes deal in a perverse way.
You might realize they are not as good a product for BBQing ribs, (and you might not...it's cultural, what you
grew up with) but if you just gotta have that meal, and you are on a budget, it's a no-brainer.
And I don't have to remind anyone of the current economic trouble and how it has humbled many a man,
or woman. So I don't use the term low-income lightly. Times are tight. haha.
But to be even more specific, they are at Kroger, usually right at ten bucks for ten lbs in a box. So on a market
framework, I can get two racks in a cryo of Med bone spares for about 12 bucks onsale here, or I can get a box
and a quarter of the DRs. And that would likely be 6-9 racks of these small ribs. You could throw a block party.
Look for them wherever bulk frozen meat processing by products are sold. You know, knuckles, feet, ears, necks, tails.
They come in a white carboard box with the little plastic straps around em, so you know they are "industrial grade', lol.

Alright, I think it's time for me to go make a fire.

Last edited by OLS; 10-30-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #1319
OLS
Suck It

OK, not bad.....Here is a comparison photo, baby backs left - Danish right. Then meat and some nice looking wings, smoked, then broiled
to perfection. And then there is Ralph, the food critic that never ate anythng he didn't love.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby wings2.jpg (99.7 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg baby and real baby.jpg (94.5 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg ralph 2.jpg (46.8 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by OLS; 10-30-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #1320
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes a lot more sense now. The bacony taste you describe makes me wonder if they might be solution treated in some manner, like some of the brands of cryopacked ribs here (I think Farmer John brand is one of the solution treated)

I don't ever recall seeing them, but I also might have and just not recognized them for what they are. I do know that I probably have never cooked them, since I won't buy imported raw pork. Now, eaten them, maybe - who knows what the heck they sent us out on the ships when we took on stores in foreign ports.