Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #741
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile
 
Powers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
First Name: Michael
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas
Posts: 2,283
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
I read here, but never post. but feel this is worth sharing. I got to visit the woodford reserve distillery this past weekend. If you never hve been there make the trip. It was awesome. Fantastic tour. Beautiful area. Very very knowledgeable staff, could talk with them for hours. Also picked up the new masters blend. Its a maple barrel finish in a toasted (not baked) barrel. Its great. hints of maple syrup all over it, but not thick a all. IDK if it justifies the 90 dollar price tag, but its nice to try as a LE type of thing. Pictures will be posted when my gf downloads them from the camera.

i also visited 4 roses while in the area. Wish i could have done all 6 major distillerys. Its amazing the difference in small batch vs mass production. I knew going in the 4 roses wasn't as good (per reviews) but i had never had it. I was deff not for me. they only age their barrels 2 years. its very raw and very fresh. It had a ton of spice to it. Didnt like it. couldn't name the flavor. but not for me.

cant wait to go back and see the rest of the distilleries. luckily the girl is just as excited as I am to go back. Just wish i could bottles the smell of angles share to smell every once in a while.
Glad u enjoyed the trip bro! I've never toured distilleries, only wineries.

I've heard good things about Woodford Reserve but also about Four Roses, both are on my list to try
__________________
"There is true glory and true honor: the glory of duty done, the honor of integrity and principle" - Robert E. Lee
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #742
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life
 
paris1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
First Name: Matthew
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 296
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I have been to almost all of the bourbon distilleries over the past 4 years, since my in-laws moved to Louisville. If you are at all interested in bourbon, these are marvelous places to visit, as you will learn more about the process in an hour there than reading several books on the subject, IMO. Definetly worth the trip!!
__________________

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #743
yourchoice
Down the stretch
 
yourchoice's Avatar
7
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joel
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,019
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
Also picked up the new masters blend. Its a maple barrel finish in a toasted (not baked) barrel. Its great. hints of maple syrup all over it, but not thick a all. IDK if it justifies the 90 dollar price tag, but its nice to try as a LE type of thing. Pictures will be posted when my gf downloads them from the camera.
I don't know if anyone is looking for this, but I happened to get an email from SV yesterday. They're selling it for the same $90 price-tag. Got a small allotment, so they may be sold out?

Here's a link in case someone was looking for it. LINK

I'm still a bourbon newb, so I'm taking a pass. With my bourbon rediscovery, I've recently purchased and enjoyed Woodford and Bulleit, and have recently had Makers Mark and Willetts (both ). Trying to decide what my next purchase would be. I've read a lot of the beginning of the thread, but it's a lot to catch up on!!!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #744
yourchoice
Down the stretch
 
yourchoice's Avatar
7
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Joel
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 4,019
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
I don't know if anyone is looking for this, but I happened to get an email from SV yesterday. They're selling it for the same $90 price-tag. Got a small allotment, so they may be sold out?

Here's a link in case someone was looking for it. LINK
Well, it's sold out now...hopefully someone was able to grab one. On second thought, I hope I didn't link it when it was already sold out...if so,
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #745
McSmokey
Feeling at Home
 
McSmokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
First Name: Justin
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 948
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourchoice View Post
Well, it's sold out now...hopefully someone was able to grab one. On second thought, I hope I didn't link it when it was already sold out...if so,
You didn't it was available this morning just didn't have the coin to pick it up
__________________
"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #746
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn
 
LockOut's Avatar
3
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Tom
Location: I'm a traveling monkey
Posts: 618
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Well if anyone wants to drive to Ny i can spare a glass or tow, and maybe some dead rolled up plant sticks.
__________________
Bráithreachas Thar Gach Ni
Firefighter Paramedic
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #747
McSmokey
Feeling at Home
 
McSmokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
First Name: Justin
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 948
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
Well if anyone wants to drive to Ny i can spare a glass or tow, and maybe some dead rolled up plant sticks.
Driving to New York would be Awesome cause it would mean I am no longer living in Hell Month and could actually afford the time. Raincheck
__________________
"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #748
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah
 
Matt-N-Ga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Matt
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 316
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOut View Post
I read here, but never post. but feel this is worth sharing. I got to visit the woodford reserve distillery this past weekend. If you never hve been there make the trip. It was awesome. Fantastic tour. Beautiful area. Very very knowledgeable staff, could talk with them for hours. Also picked up the new masters blend. Its a maple barrel finish in a toasted (not baked) barrel. Its great. hints of maple syrup all over it, but not thick a all. IDK if it justifies the 90 dollar price tag, but its nice to try as a LE type of thing. Pictures will be posted when my gf downloads them from the camera.

i also visited 4 roses while in the area. Wish i could have done all 6 major distillerys. Its amazing the difference in small batch vs mass production. I knew going in the 4 roses wasn't as good (per reviews) but i had never had it. I was deff not for me. they only age their barrels 2 years. its very raw and very fresh. It had a ton of spice to it. Didnt like it. couldn't name the flavor. but not for me.

cant wait to go back and see the rest of the distilleries. luckily the girl is just as excited as I am to go back. Just wish i could bottles the smell of angles share to smell every once in a while.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "they only age their barrels 2 years"

Not sure what blend you were sampling, but the Single Barrel is a 10 yr, and the 2009 Mariage has a 19 yr in it.

4 Roses is my favorite right now, love the the Single Barrel.

I've been wanting to try the Maple Wood finished Master series, but 99 a bottle was a bit stiff for me right now.
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #749
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back
 
ODLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 226
Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "they only age their barrels 2 years"

Not sure what blend you were sampling, but the Single Barrel is a 10 yr, and the 2009 Mariage has a 19 yr in it.

4 Roses is my favorite right now, love the the Single Barrel.

I've been wanting to try the Maple Wood finished Master series, but 99 a bottle was a bit stiff for me right now.
Yea, maybe their run of the mill cheap stuff. But their more expensive bottlings are solid. I'm trying to find a Mariage. Couldn't afford it when we had it, now I want it. The 2010 LE Barrel Strength is very nice. Not amazing but thoroughly enjoyable.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #750
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah
 
Matt-N-Ga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Matt
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 316
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
Yea, maybe their run of the mill cheap stuff. But their more expensive bottlings are solid. I'm trying to find a Mariage. Couldn't afford it when we had it, now I want it. The 2010 LE Barrel Strength is very nice. Not amazing but thoroughly enjoyable.
The Mariage is now discontinued in favor of a new(an recently released) Small Batch LE.

The 2009 Mariage has a 19 yo in it. Great stuff.
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #751
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back
 
ODLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 226
Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
The Mariage is now discontinued in favor of a new(an recently released) Small Batch LE.

The 2009 Mariage has a 19 yo in it. Great stuff.
Yea I know, which is why I'm trying to find one . The new LE is good, but I hear the Mariage is better.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #752
McSmokey
Feeling at Home
 
McSmokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
First Name: Justin
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 948
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Are the BTACs out yet for this year?
__________________
"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #753
McSmokey
Feeling at Home
 
McSmokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
First Name: Justin
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 948
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Cleaning out my granddads house getting things in order to put it up on the market I come across a 375ml of O'Shaughnessy American Stock Kentucky Whiskey Tax Stamp 1977... Not that much flavor to it kind of like it has just lost its body over time... Now the two mason jars of 20 yr old homemade wine on the other hand are awesome.
__________________
"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #754
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV
 
TripleF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Scott
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 5,626
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Cleaning out my granddads house getting things in order to put it up on the market I come across a 375ml of O'Shaughnessy American Stock Kentucky Whiskey Tax Stamp 1977... Not that much flavor to it kind of like it has just lost its body over time... Now the two mason jars of 20 yr old homemade wine on the other hand are awesome.

Very cool. Memories.....it's all how they're brought back.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #755
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S
 
Parshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Marc
Location: St Somewhere
Posts: 835
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Are the BTACs out yet for this year?
Yes
__________________
I love chicks with FLBP.
Parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #756
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back
 
ODLS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 226
Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmokey View Post
Are the BTACs out yet for this year?
Came and went in 2 days here. Probably not as bad elsewhere.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #757
BengalMan
Have My Own Room
 
BengalMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Ian
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,280
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

This weeks pick ups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bourbon.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	7738  
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #758
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home
 
dannysguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
First Name: Danny
Location: SoCal
Posts: 734
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Scored my 3rd bottle of Maker's 46 last night! :-)
__________________
Proud Member of Team Death! aka PBC
*Follow Me on Twitter*
dannysguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #759
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah
 
Matt-N-Ga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Matt
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 316
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

The BTAC here in Ga have been slim, this is the only one I can find so far...still looking for Eagle Rare and both the Ryes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 047.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	7769  
__________________
EPIC IV "I just got bit by a donkey"
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #760
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah
 
Matt-N-Ga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
First Name: Matt
Location: Acworth, Ga
Posts: 316
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
This weeks pick ups.
I saw you talking about the special release Noe with ChiefHava, would love to here you thoughts on it when you get a chance to try it.

p.s. follow me on twitter so I can DM you...I think something happened the last time you tried (like my dumb ass clicked the deny button.)
__________________
EPIC IV "I just got bit by a donkey"
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content is copyrighted jointly by Cigar Asylum and the content provider.