Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
dkummerle

Default Electrinic Humidifier

Hello,
I recently bought a 250 count humidor, and I've filled it to capacity. At first I used crystals and regular humidifiers, but I noticed that it wasn't doing the job. There are four shelf’s in the humidor, all filled to max. Recently I purchased an electronic humidifier with fan, and placed it at the bottom pointing up at gaps I left in each shelf. I also took out most of the crystal jars, only leaving two. However, I noticed that the humidity fluctuates, ranging from 59% to 64%. Is that too low? Should I increase the range in the electronic humidifier to 76%?

Attached is a pic, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (15.0 KB, 554 views)
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Electrinic Humidifier

Hi Dirk,

First you should step in the New Inmate Processing Area section and introduce yourself to everyone.

The humidity at which you store cigars comes down to personal preference. This seems to range from 60-70%. I like to keep mine at 65% as they seem to age well and smoke well. I have a couple questions to help provide better input.

-Have you calibrated your hygrometer?
-How often does the humidity change?
-Is it only after opening and closing or it fluctuates that much throughout the day on its own while being closed the entire time?
-How old is the humidor?
-Was it seasoned?
- Did it hold humidity while seasoning?

I would get rid of the crystals and get some beads. There is a sticky thread in this section that tells you everything you need to know about beads. I had an electronic humidor and the beads would help level out the humidity and keep it consistent at 65%. I ended up getting more beads and ditching it but lots of people use them with beads and have great success.

This is just my and I hope it helps.

Last edited by big a; 06-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.
big a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Something is wrong. The electric humidifier should be overkill in such a small humidor. Also, it looks like a shelf is right on top of it. Be careful as mold may grow on the area of the shelf that exposed directly above the fan. I use one crystal jar for a 500 count and rh is steady 63% and that's how I like it. Your preferred rh% may differ! I do see an analog hygro. Toss it as they are 99% unreliable and get a digital so you know exactly what the rh is.

Good questions in the post above!

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-06-2011 at 02:09 PM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
dkummerle

Hi Big A, Chutney -
Thanks for your advice, I will go through the ‘New Inmate Processing Area’ and introduce myself posthaste.
In terms of the Humidor, it’s very new and I did not season it, I thought it was seasoned when I received it. Is there anything I can or should do now?
The analog hydrometers are calibrated, but I also have a digital hydrometer. I understand that the analog readings are not as reliable, but so far they are reading the same or very close as the digital. The reading itself fluctuates from 72% from the e-humidifier, to 63% two shelves up on the digital.
I’m inclined to think that the problem is with the humidifier itself and will have it replaced. I appreciate the advice not to have too many crystals jars in the humidor, I will also look into the beads. Thanks to the replies, I realized that I was focusing on over humidifying instead of under. I prefer the harder cigars, and I noticed that some of my lower quality smokes where getting a bit soft…
Thanks again!
Dirk
Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

That's the problem, it wasn't seasoned. Take the cigars out and put them in temp storage for a few days (2-4) and season the humidor. Once you do, you will probably have no more problems and will probably realize you don't need the electric unit.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
dkummerle

This is going to be a ridiculous question to you, but what's the best way to season it?
Thanks!
Dirk
Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Since the electric unit is in there, I would take out all the cigars and let it run for 2, 3 days. I would think it would be seasoned by then. Or just let it be and it will probably slowly rise as the weeks go by. Then you can control it where you want it.

Since the cigars are now in the low 60's, either way, imo. Don't worry about it too much, cigars are alot tougher than we give them credit for.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
dkummerle

That is excellent advice again, thank you very much. I'll keep the electric humidifier along with the cigars in the humidor, and hopefully in a few weeks it will gradually change. Since I prefer them a bit on the tough side I guess it will be ok.

Thanks again!
Dirk
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

What brand of electronic humidifier are you using.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
sleepy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Since the electric unit is in there, I would take out all the cigars and let it run for 2, 3 days. I would think it would be seasoned by then. Or just let it be and it will probably slowly rise as the weeks go by. Then you can control it where you want it.

Since the cigars are now in the low 60's, either way, imo. Don't worry about it too much, cigars are alot tougher than we give them credit for.

This guy knows what hes talking about!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
dkummerle

I was torn between the Humi-Care EH Plus electric humidifier, and the Cigar Oasis model. I decided on the humi-care, which received good reviews.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Don't worry about it too much, cigars are alot tougher than we give them credit for.
Amen to that, so much talk and worry about cigars that are truly just fine.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
dkummerle

Beautiful, thank you.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy84 View Post
This guy knows what hes talking about!
Opinions vary.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #15
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You are the man! Great advice right there. +1 on the cigars being fine and though. Once I learned this the storing of cigars became worry free for me. When seasoning the humidor be sure not to rush the process. Than when adding the cigars give it time for everything to acclimate.