Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
fyrftr

Default Difference between spice and pepper?

Ok gang,

I have been wondering about this for some time and have not found a definitive answer...so...what is the difference between spice and pepper as they relate to cigars? Would I confuse spice/pepper as harshness, as a noob? (I think I am)

Does spice also include things like nutmeg, cinnamon, ect, or just a spicy burn, tingle on the tounge? How do I tell pepper from harshness?

I hear a lot of talk about the DGP smokes (DPG Ho tread), they mention a typical spice/pepper. I want to try some of these smokes as a LOT of you seem to like them. I am a little afraid of the pepper/spice 'blast' as I don't really like the 'harsh/hot' thing. It kept me from enjoying cigars for a long time, as I was trying to avoid this harsh/hot smoke thing.

Skool time!!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difference between spice and pepper?

spice includes nutmeg, cinnamon...but read between the lines. i think its important to go into a little detail when you review a cigar. you can differentiate between sweet/"hot"/exotic spices...
i have never had a dpg but from the reviews that i read they have typically a pepper note in them.
Go to your b+m buy one and decide if you like it or not. If you dont like it revisit dpg sticks after a couple of months.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Personally, I tend to get black peper from a lot of DPG's sticks. Some sticks are more heavy with this flavor than others. A good tip for someone new into cigars is to try and slow down your smoking. Taking longer breaks in-between puffs, and sipping instead of trying to get a ton of smoke on each draw might help with the harsh/hot factor. It took me a long time to actually apply that technique. I still tend to smoke cigars I really like too fast, but it gives me an excuse to practice smoking more cigars.

Other cigars that just mention pepper could also be refering to red peppers, green peppers...etc.

I tend to pick up some red pepper taste from Taboo special forces blends that will leave a tingle on the lips.

Bottom line is taste are subjective, and eveyone will enjoy different cigar profiles. The sweetness of maduros, the black pepper of DPG's, they all depend on what your in the mood for.

Enjoy the adventure, and try as many differnt cigars as you can. A cigar you hate today maybe your best friend a year from now.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

When I write 'spice' in reviews I mean green spices like parsley, coriander and so on. When I write pepper, I mean pepper like black pepper or white pepper. Sometimes, when the flavor is easy noticeable, I even write which kind of pepper I taste. If I taste cinnamon, I will write I taste cinnamon, I am unable to notice the difference between the green spices, so when I taste them I name them "spice"
Old 11-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #5
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
When I write 'spice' in reviews I mean green spices like parsley, coriander and so on.
I would have never guessed that. herb might be a better word to describe these flavours!
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
fyrftr

Wow,

Who knew how many flavors the word spice might encompass. I never considered the green/red pepper thing also. Hmmmmm.... or the green spice-which I believe I have experianced before, think I called it grassy. So much to learn...need to smoke more!!

My nearest B & M has not had any DPG's for several weeks. Guess I'll have to keep stopping in to check. I'll let ya all know how the lessons progress.

Tim L.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
fyrftr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwz View Post
I would have never guessed that. herb might be a better word to describe these flavours!
He said herb. hee-hee
Thats not a flavor I expected.

Actually, I never considered this either
Tim L.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

my 2 cents:

I do not like peppery tastes in cigars....I consider pepper to be the harsh taste that hits the back of my throat... Itell people, "this smoke is peppery". Sometimes i confuse a peppery taste for a a fuller body, soemtimes the peppery taste makes me feel like i did the first time i smoked a full body smoke.

Now,

I DO like spicey notes in a cigar. Spice (to me) usually takes place on my actual pallate. Like PMWZ said, spice is more of a nutmeggy-cinnamon taste and a lot of the times when i smoke a spicey cigar the spice is usually preluded by a leathery taste (which i love) or followed with a leathery tastes. this is purely a correlary (sp). I love those types of cigars in general. Bucanero has a double maduro house blend that is to die for that exhibits what i consider to be the "quintessential" spice (accompanied by leather) taste.

If you would like to try one just let me know, I'd gladly buy you a couple and send them to you.

Regardless, all of our pallates are different.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
Addiction

Just my two cents.

For me I never use the word spice in describing the tastes of a cigar. I use more exact descriptors because typically my European friends mean spice to be nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper and my American friends mean it to mean peppery or heat based tastes. At least thats the distinction I've noticed.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Bruce
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
Bruce is on a distinguished road

I break it down to two groups:
"Black spice" pepper, ect.
and "sweet spice" cinnamon, ect.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

All good answers so far. I would say there is a big difference between harshness and pepper/spice though... Harshness usually means its burning too fast but pepper/spice are natural flavors from tobacco

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #12
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I use more exact descriptors.
WELLLLL, we must all just lack the sophistication you possess!!

Just messing with you!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #13
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I break it down to two groups:
"Black spice" pepper, ect.
and "sweet spice" cinnamon, ect.

That is almost exactly how I would describe it.

Spice can mean different things to different people. And what one person tastes is not a guarantee of what the next person will taste. I am learning more and more to go ahead and try a cigar for myself, because no one has my tongue and someone's review is their opinion of that cigar.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Baking spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) vs. Pepper spices (white, black, Habanero )
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Here is the infamous Flavor Wheel. This may help define other flavors you may find.

http://img256.imageshack.us/i/flavorwheel1.pdf/
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

When I think of spice in a cigar, it's that peppery or cayenne flavor. Cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever else is not spice to me, in a cigar anyway. Kind of like how when someone talks about spicy food, they're usually referring to heat and not something like paprika.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
klipsch

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. I think of it as...

Pepper: Tat T110
Spice: Monte #2
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
WELLLLL, we must all just lack the sophistication you possess!!
Just messing with you!
Not sophistication at all, it simple effort. When I write a review I always go back and remove spicy as descriptor. The site where I mostly post reviews has a high percentage of Europeans and the term spice carries a different conotation for them.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Slavac

One must flow to keep the universe intact, the other is apart of a 2 girl duo that was frankly horrid.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Baking spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) vs. Pepper spices (white, black, Habanero )
+1

Also, I get the baking spices on the back or sides of my tongue/throat, while most pepper I get is more distinct and usually covers my whole mouth and burns my nose. I can snork "spice" more easily.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote