Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How fast do you drive compared to the speed limit?
1-5 Under the Posted Speed Limit 1 0.69%
5+ Under the Posted Speed Limit 0 0%
I try and do the axact Posted Speed limit as much as possible 4 2.78%
1-5 Over the Posted Speed Limit 27 18.75%
5-10 Over the Posted Speed Limit 79 54.86%
10-20 Over the Posted Speed Limit 23 15.97%
I drive it like I stole it all day everyday 10 6.94%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #41
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: How fast do you drive

I am usually in the 5-10 area. My car usually won't go above 70 mph anyways.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #42
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I'm usually pretty content to drive the speed limit. Must be the old age.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #43
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

As fast as I can get away with. F the cops
Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #44
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Depends on location. When I am traveling in South Texas, I commonly do 90 or so. There are very few cops--only border patrol. I am white in a company car, so I do not get bothered. Around town in S.A---at or below the speed limit because cops here are crazy.
on the first remark, not on the second part. For me it depends on the enviroment, in habitated area's I stick to the speed limit, or even below, especially when I see children or pets outside. On the highway or on roads out of habitated areas I will drive faster, usually 5% faster than allowed, as I wont get tickets then.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #45
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Surface streets usually 5 over, unless it is a large divided road. Interstate, usually 5-10 over, occasionally faster if the "need" arises. I do have one exception, I-696. The speed limit is 70 and it is not uncommon to have a steady flow of traffic passing you while you're going 80-85. The speed limit on that road is only a suggestion. I used to live just 1/4 mile off I-696 so I drove it a lot. Now I'm 50 miles away so, I don't drive on it much anymore.

BTW, radar detector is my friend.

Also, kids, residential areas I will drive under the speed limit. Especially when there are a lot of parked cars on the road where you can't see well.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #46
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
on the first remark, not on the second part. For me it depends on the enviroment, in habitated area's I stick to the speed limit, or even below, especially when I see children or pets outside. On the highway or on roads out of habitated areas I will drive faster, usually 5% faster than allowed, as I wont get tickets then.
BULLSH*T!!!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #47
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

that was on an empty highway, and I wasn't going 'like I stole it' fast, only 13 miles over the 65 speedlimit
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #48
skullnrose
Ashes,ashes,all fall down

First Name: Scott
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
skullnrose is on a distinguished road

I'm usually in the 5-10 over group. I do notice though when smoking a cigar and driving I drive slower.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #49
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Well, here in CT the flow of traffic is either 50 city / 80 highway or 10 mph regardless of the limit. I usually try to stick to the 80th percentile, so I am slightly faster than most on the road, but not the fastest. So, if everyone else is going 80 in a 55, so am I.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #50
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

I'm generally in the 5-10 over the limit range, but when on a highway it could be more like 10-20 range.

I had a 95 v-8 t-bird that had a governor on it. It would cut out at 105mph.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #51
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
5-10 over the posted. We now have the radar machines on the side of the road that show your speed when you pass. I am going to see how fast I can pass it.
Ahhhh.... I remember when my brother and his buddies found on in their town...
It was about a 1/4 mile from a stop sign. They decided to see how fast they could get their cars up to, by reading the sign.
Every one of them (brother included) received speeding tickets in the mail - one for him, two for him, two for him.. no, three for him, as the third was delivered with a summons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
My GF says I drive like an old lady. I've been driving twelve years and have had ONE moving violation that entire time.
My wife says the same to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Well, here in CT the flow of traffic is either 50 city / 80 highway or 10 mph regardless of the limit. I usually try to stick to the 80th percentile, so I am slightly faster than most on the road, but not the fastest. So, if everyone else is going 80 in a 55, so am I.
Same here! I'm a that learned to drive 'CT style' over the last several years. I go with the traffic in the fast lane, unless it gets congested.
In CT, you can only leave one car-length between you and the person in front of you. Anything more, and somebody else claims that space.
I've also learned that the written law states that you cannot stay driving in the left-most lane, but the practiced rule is for CT residents to get on the highway and go directly into the left lane no matter how slow you drive (then again, most of the I commute beside aren't any better).
Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #52
weasel
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
weasel is on a distinguished road

Here on the Isle of Man there is no speed limit over the mountain!

(there are a few other roads with no limits too!)
Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #53
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Usually follow the flow. When I was a young 'un I used to have a bit of a lead foot, not anymore. Invariably I will meet the person who rushed past me at the next traffic light. I also hit a deer once, that really made me paranoid about driving at all in twilight conditions! The fine is also not worth it.

I did know a guy in college- a doctor- who drove close to 100 mph in his sports car to go the 250 miles to see his son play college football. He said any fine was worth paying to be able to get to the stadium quickly. He took me for a short ride once- it was kinda scary going at those speeds!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #54
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I'm 5-10 on surface streets, and up to about 10 -20 on the highway (which is usually flow of traffic in Cali), although I do follow the speed limit on streets where I know there are often speed traps.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #55
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Depends where I am. On the 101 I stick to the speed limit. On the I-5 10-15 over.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #56
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Well, I was only doing 10 over on the way to the Shack and I got pulled over. I blame BigVito's car for that. And for the record I did not get a speeding ticket!!

This is what I say to people I drive fast not stupid.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #57
MrsSledn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cathy
Trading: (0)
MrsSledn is on a distinguished road

In the neighborhood, the speed limit or a bit under. We have kids galore around here. Non residential, about 5 over. Highway, about 10 over or keep up with traffic.

With my age, I have grown LESS tolerant of those that drive under the speed limit. Regardless if my child is in the car with me or not. If it's 45 and the sun is shining, do 45 or 50. Not friggin 35 and then go even slower when you see I am trying to pass you.

Those people, annoy the crap out of me.
MrsSledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #58
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX View Post
Depends where I'm at and what I'm driving.

If I'm in the car:
5 over on surface streets
10 over on the freeways
Old 10-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #59
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSledn View Post
In the neighborhood, the speed limit or a bit under. We have kids galore around here. Non residential, about 5 over. Highway, about 10 over or keep up with traffic.

With my age, I have grown LESS tolerant of those that drive under the speed limit. Regardless if my child is in the car with me or not. If it's 45 and the sun is shining, do 45 or 50. Not friggin 35 and then go even slower when you see I am trying to pass you.

Those people, annoy the crap out of me.
I would be fine for them to slow down when I pass them. I usually get the aces that are doing 35 in a 45 so I go to pass them in a passing zone and than they want to play the game of speeding up to try and block me out. Those are they people that it takes all I have to keep myself from pulling them out of their car and beating the living piss out of them. Seriously they obviously don;t want to do the speed limit but get pissed when you want to pass them.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #60
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Depends on location. When I am traveling in South Texas, I commonly do 90 or so. There are very few cops--only border patrol. I am white in a company car, so I do not get bothered. Around town in S.A---at or below the speed limit because cops here are crazy.

Thanks for the vehicle info Ill be sure to let the guys know. JK