Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
coastietech

Default Braking system...

Just want to make everyone aware that changing the complete front end braking system of a Ford F-150 is not only pricey but sucks when it's a 110 degrees out...

Had to completely change out the rotors, pads, and calipers on both side of the truck today. Took me about 5 hours. Parts cost about $450 and I saved the money on labor. Had one shop quote me at $975 for parts and labor.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
E-Tx Surveyor

Default Re: Braking system...

Wow, good on you for the savings though. That translates into a lot of sticks.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Joe,
Hopefully it stops OK for the savings you realized?

I couldn't imagine doing that as muggy and hot as it was today but it is always satisfying when you do something yourself and save money while at it.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
coastietech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Joe,
Hopefully it stops OK for the savings you realized?

I couldn't imagine doing that as muggy and hot as it was today but it is always satisfying when you do something yourself and save money while at it.
It's supposed to stop!!! Oh man I'm screwed... LOL

Seriously I must have lost about 10lbs in water weight. The truck stops like its brand new. Next I have to swap out the back brake pads. That should be easier since I won't have to change the rotors or calipers. I think I may do that very very early in the morning before it gets to hot.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

HOLY CRAP...5 hours on the front!?!?!

But I agree with you Joe...that's a good amount saved...and you feel better about it knowing you did the job too.
Posted via Mobile Device
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
coastietech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
HOLY CRAP...5 hours on the front!?!?!

But I agree with you Joe...that's a good amount saved...and you feel better about it knowing you did the job too.
Posted via Mobile Device
It was the first time I'd ever broken the system down that far... Typically I just change the pads.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I got sympathy for you. Changed out the rotors and pads (all four) on my F350 last year for just under $800. Few weeks ago ended up having to replace all four calipers and pads again for a cool $500. Lucky for me though I didn't have to do it in 110 degree heat.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

When ever I can't get the brakes fixed, I just make the horn louder....

Good job, I love to save money on the labor. I'm going to do new pads and rotors on my Bonneville tomorrow...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

sounds like my brake job recently. Had to change out the rotors, pads, and calipers on a 96 Dodge Ram. Started at $800 and climbed to $1500 when part of the joints had to be replaced also. I checked the parts myself, he wasn't rolling me, just damned bad luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastietech View Post
Just want to make everyone aware that changing the complete front end braking system of a Ford F-150 is not only pricey but sucks when it's a 110 degrees out...

Had to completely change out the rotors, pads, and calipers on both side of the truck today. Took me about 5 hours. Parts cost about $450 and I saved the money on labor. Had one shop quote me at $975 for parts and labor.
Just curious, what year is your F150?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
coastietech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Just curious, what year is your F150?
It's a 2006... The caliper on my passenger side when bad and completely destroyed my rotor and pads. This wasn't routine maintenance lol
Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
BC-Axeman

We live in the mountains and commute to the valley. I seem to be replacing brakes and rotors and sometimes calipers on one or the other vehicle once or twice a year. Just routine any more.
Rockauto and tirerack are good sources.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Huh, I have never had a caliper go bad on my fords..just brakes and rotors..but i don't live in the mountains either. Had a caliper come loose before and poke through the rim..man that was not fun..and damn scary.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
BC-Axeman

Ford, Toyota, Honda, Harley, Dodge, everything I or my family has owned. It helps to keep on top of the maintenance but when a caliper goes bad it self destructs very quickly. Usually a piston or pin gets stuck. Once a pad wore down fast and fell out. Twice I've had one catch on fire. A brake's job is just bad. Heat, dirt, vibration, strain, water...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

YEP - caliper goes, it GOES.

Mine was leaking, died pretty quickly. Kinda scary how long I drove that truck with damned near no brakes.... but a PAC engine brake + down-shifting helps if you've got diesel + manual transmission. Saves A LOT of wear and tear on the break system over the years too.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
coastietech

BC and Spec are right... My brakes were fine then one day I heard a scratching figured my pads were almost gone and figured I'd change them at the end of the week, it was Weds. Didn't realize the piston had got stuck. By Fri I had no brake pads, no rotors, I was leaking brake fluid all over the place and my brake pedal touched the floor when I pressed it.