Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #361
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Smoke Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Does he mean B&M pricing?

Edit: I didn't know the Famous Nic 5000 were that cheap, I thought they were on par price wise as the 601.
Famous exclusive and they used to be $ 45.99 for a bundle of 20, for the past few months they have been $ 31.99 for a bundle of 20. Toros are the best of the bunch IMHO.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #362
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Famous exclusive and they used to be $ 45.99 for a bundle of 20, for the past few months they have been $ 31.99 for a bundle of 20. Toros are the best of the bunch IMHO.
again X2

i have smoked both the Toro and Robusto's and while i prefer Robusto's 99% of the time i thought the Toro was better in this case
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #363
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
you can get them for 31.99 off of Famous's auction site or 32.99 from Famous website
DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO UGLY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEL View Post
Not sure if its against forum rules, it if its please edit or vets tell me and I'll edit, about posting links to retailers but can one offer insight to the below link?

I saw a post on another forum that said: "Liga 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', and 'E'. They actually are some great RP cigars. Here is the break down on whats what.

A is Edge. B is Sun Grown. C is Olde World Reserve. D is Decade. E is Indian Tabac Super Fuerte."

Anyone know what brands the Liga's in the aforementioned link are? I know they are Olvia but curious to know what line if you will.
I don't think that breaks any rules. What's your first name, Fuel?
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #364
FUEL
Just 6 days...

First Name: James
Trading: (0)
Partagas
FUEL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO UGLY!!!!

I don't think that breaks any rules. What's your first name, Fuel?
James, nice to meet cha!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #365
bstarrs
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Braeden
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
bstarrs is on a distinguished road

Atlantic has something called the "One-N-Done Nicaraguan Rothschild" on for 24.95 for a bundle of 20. I've just ordered a bundle and will report back with thoughts and if it's a reasonable smoke.
bstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #366
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Had a 6 year old famous Nic 3000 after breakfast this AM. Has held up well over time. Very enjoyable aged tobaccy!!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #367
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Maria Mancini yet, as far as I can tell. It's been a while since I've had one, but I always thought they gave good value.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #368
Milvel
My nizzles be skizzling.

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
Milvel will become famous soon enough

La Reloba maduros are pretty stellar and only $3-4 a piece.
Milvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #369
crgcpro
PGA Professional

First Name: Bart
Trading: (1)
HdM
crgcpro is on a distinguished road

Illusione Rothchildes are very good and just under $4.
crgcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #370
mfarre03
Never pet a burning dog..

First Name: Mike
Cohiba
mfarre03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Maria Mancini yet, as far as I can tell. It's been a while since I've had one, but I always thought they gave good value.
I LOVE Maria's, they use to be so cheap, still a great bargain.

Going to pick up some Nic 5000, never had one so pretty excited. Seems they only have one size in stock now.

Last edited by mfarre03; 06-26-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: I had more stuffs to say!
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #371
OHMatt
Klugs gave me Gurkas

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
HdM
OHMatt will become famous soon enough

Hello my cheap smokin' bastage brethren. Joe (BillyBarue) has asked my to stop by and make some suggestions. I haven't had the time to read through the years I have missed, so forgive me if any of these are reposts. Hopefully some of these are of use to you..

Most of the cheapies I have been buying as of late have been on CB. Holt's has not been offering as many closeouts but there are still a few. Prices quoted are what I paid, YMMV.

Nestor Miranda SS Rothschild - Holts - $25/10 - Aged Pepin, was highly rated. It was milder than most out of this factory so it got lost in the crowd. Not worth original MSRP and worth more than this closeout price.

La Aurora Rothschild -Holts - $50/25 Just about everyone, B&M included have boxes of these on special/closeout. They have a less refined version of the signature Dominican taste. These aren't going to be as smooth as Preferidos/107/LJ 300. It is also a different taste than Nicaraguan tobacco if that is all you have smoked. Those caveats aside, they are good cigars with some depth.

Tatuaje El Triunfador No. 5 -CB - <$67/25 with careful bidding - I bought several boxes of these full price over the years, and at less than $3 a stick they are an outstanding deal. Please save some for me.

Tabacos Baez Serie H
- $37/20 - These were a bigger step up from their SF equivalent than I expected. The same amount of spice, but the taste was fuller, 'cleaner' and better balanced. The SF is a killer deal even at B&M price, but this CB release is a better cigar for the same cost.

Padilla Artemis - on CB - $13/5 - This is one that 5ers seem to be better priced. Watch the boxes, but paying less for a 5er to try is nice. Reported to be rolled at Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubana.

Nicarao Classico/Especial/Exclusivo - on CB - $11/5 - Any of these 3 are a steal. Once made by DPG for Tropical, Patel brought the name at one point and I was done with it. Perhaps due drunken CB bidding, the Classico arrived in a shipment. The Classico blend really tastes the same to me as the original. The Especial is a bit spicier and the Exclusivo slaps on a maddie wrapper. These remain on the radar, chances are you will bid against me to get them. I haven't been tempted to try the bundled lines;unless you hear from someone who does like them I would avoid the Seleccion and HSG lines

Padilla Degustacion Collection Tin - On CB - <$25 - try 2 of each of 5 Padilla blends for $2.50 a stick or less. I've purchased 4 tins since April.

Vegas Cubanas Generosos - On CB - $3/1 - Singles seem to be the least noticed way to bid on these wonderful aged Pepins. Milder than the blues but more flavor than the Cabaiguan; though a bit less depth than either. Hard to pass up for 1/2 the price I paid on clearance at my B&M. Not up often so be prepared to fight.

Sencillo Platinum - on CB - $15/5. 5ers best price IME. Honduran cigar that doesn't suck made by Eiroa for the God of Fire folks. Like other Eiora cigars, they manage to avoid the muddy/earthy flavors that most Hondurans exhibit; this is a good thing to me. I bought several of these at full retail B&M, so this price is a no brainer.

Pueblo Dominicano - On CB - $34/20. These continue to be a good, slightly spicy Dominican cigar with some depth. I believe Quesada once made them when they were 'limited edition' in fancy packaging. This version has the AJ Fernandez taste all over it and is every bit as good as their pricier offerings.

Diesel Corona TIN - On CB - $73/30 - Here's another AJ cigar, this is a firecracker. Nice spice and some depth to back it. A great smoke after a meal. It smokes for much longer than you'd suspect, but at $2 and change it is a great 15 minute break on the cheap.

5 Vegas Relic - On CB - $10/5. Sometimes you can get the box of 24 for $40, but it is a very swell looking box and it isn't worth waiting for the box to go unnoticed. Unless my taste buds deceive me, this is the matasa anniversary blend stuffed into an uglier wrapper. This is not like the typical 5 Vegas cigar.. Much bolder than most, but also more refined and complex than the cask strength which to me has the spice but no depth.

Nica Libre Principe - On CB - $32/20 - These taste to me like a slightly less refined Padron x000 series at half the price. The box press is nice, and the principe has a bit more flavor than the larger sizes. I'm aging some of these.

Swag Lavish -On CB - $13/5 - Nice Corojo flavor, a bit of spice but smooth. There is enough depth to back the spice and some flavor change ups during its length. This is one I've been circling like a buzzard for the right price.

Vigilante - on CB - $25/20 - a mild corojo cigar. Same label but not the same cigar that was sold on B&M shelves 6 years ago. This is one dimensional, but still a very pleasant cigar for the drive into work. Will taste sweet if you take your coffee black.

Arganese Nicaraguan on CB - $15/20 can be had for less than a buck a stick. No other cigar in this price range is worth smoking IMO. One dimensional cigar, the true yard gar but still tastes decent to me. One to give moochers that you won't feel bad or be embarrassed to give them. I won't give away cigars I wouldn't smoke myself. I don't like any of the other varieties from this company.

EPC New Wave Connecticut Stellas - B&M - $80/20 - I have to mention this cigar even though $4 a stick is pushing the 'cheap smoke' envelope. I keep buying box after box because they are such a great cigar for their price and (don't tell anyone) are worth double. This cigar has replaced the Padron Londres as my benchmark cigar. This is a JOAT cigar that fits the bill regardless of experience. There is depth and mild spice for old hands but is refined and smooth to blow away the folks used to much costlier Dominican Montes, RyJ, etc. This cigar is a gustatory experience equivalent/akin to the aural experience of listening to Grado SR80s after the significantly costlier Bose QCs or (shudder) Beats.

Cigars I didn't like:
Nestor Miranda Dominicano on Holts
Argyle on Holt's
Kinky Friendman on CB
Devil's Weed on CB
Varina Farms on CB
Garo Vintage on CB
Bahia Trinidad on CB

You aren't worthy...
- Matt -

Last edited by OHMatt; 07-15-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: formatting
OHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #372
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #373
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Another good cheap smoke I've been enjoying lately is the
Nestor Miranda Holguin. $35/bundle of 20 at Cigars Int'l.
Miranda/Pepin project, rich sweet/spicy flavors & great burn.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #374
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

I've been getting good Drew Estates sticks in what I'd consider the "cheap smoke" price range ($3/stick) from Cigar Monster here lately... the Spiced Wingman comes up for $30 and includes 5 Acid Kuba Kuba and 5 Acid Subculture Mantra (a longer but milder Kuba Kuba). I've seen Tabak Especial 5-packs for $17 and Isla del Sol 5-packs for $13 which, when combined, comes in at $3/stick. Any time I can grab a good Drew stick in this price range I do, plus you can even stack the Famous freebie coupons on top for even better value depending on what's available.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #375
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am really studying this thread due to a need to reduce my overall cost of cigar smoking. Job was eliminated a while back and I am needing to keep the cost down as much as possible. I have tried several smokes on this thread and had some good ones, but the Maria Mancini has been an outstanding value to me. Dark, rich smoke that is really good and enjoyable. Thanks for pointing these out to me as they are now on my go to list. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #376
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (0)
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

Im sure Ramon Bueso The Genesis Project has been mentioned already. I dig those for cheap. Come up a lot of times with box for $49
Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #377
mfarre03
Never pet a burning dog..

First Name: Mike
Cohiba
mfarre03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of my favorite cigars, I may just have to order some now!!

Right now you get a free 5 pack of Maria's when you order a box!!

Last edited by mfarre03; 10-10-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Already quoted a reply months ago, dumbass, LOL
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #378
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Just got a box of Famous Iron Horse 6x60 for a cheap long smoke
Had my first one yesterday and I've got to say I was impressed - box of 20 for $52

Last third started getting a little rough but that still gave me an hour of decent smoking for less than $3
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #379
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
baust55 is on a distinguished road

I am knew on this forum , now I have to read this whole thread because I am Super Cheap eeeeeeeerrr ummm I mean Thrifty ! I recently bought a 100 stick humidor and a vew bundles of some cheapos that seemed to have some good reviews .

I am giving them a good nap after I try a few I will post how they rate with me .

Austin
baust55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #380
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Here's another good one - at least for now.
La Estrella Cubana Fubar Fuerte.
Cigars Int'l is selling a short Corona (4-1/2" x 46) $28.54 for 30.
Medium strength maduro with sweet coffee & dark chocolate taste.
Not affiliated, just like to pass along good deals.

Last edited by smokin5; 10-18-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: The voices told me to.
smokin5 is offline   Reply With Quote