Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

First Name: Keith
Trading: (3)
shibby4781 is on a distinguished road
Default Popped my ....

Padron cherry! I just smoked my first Padron! I felt like I should have worn a tux and brought it a corsage. I purchased 2 a few weeks back, both were Anniversary 1964 Series. One with a Maduro wrapper the other has a lighter, Connecticut maybe, wrapper. Sorry still new at this. I opted for the darker heavier smoke tonight. In my opinion it was exceptionally delightful. The only downside was that I didn't think through my beverage choice and had a glass of sauvignon blanc, boxed of course. I switched to water and all was well. I cannot wait to venture more into this line. Besides the other one I purchased, does anyone have suggestions on what I should try next? Also, how about beverage selections for the next round?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Popped my ....

I believe the Padron's are Nicaraguan puros, I have never really noticed a huge difference between the naturals and the maduros.

If you like Padron's I would try the Illusiones or pretty much any Tatuaje. I love Nicaraguans.

I usually pair cigars with a coke, lemonade if it is hot or iced tea. But I am not a big liquor person.

I would also try the regular Padron's - great cigars at a little lower price point.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Congrats brother. Thats the beautiful thing with cigars, experimenting with different smokes and drinks. It has taken me a few years to find what I like to drink with certain cigars.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats. I cannot drink anything other than soda or water with a stick. Seems that every time I try, the alcohol overpowers the stick. Unless, of course, it's my Apple Pie 'Shine.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Congrats. I cannot drink anything other than soda or water with a stick. Seems that every time I try, the alcohol overpowers the stick. Unless, of course, it's my Apple Pie 'Shine.
Everything goes with Mac's Apple Pie Shine!!!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
Nicaraguan puros, Illusiones, Tatuaje. I love Nicaraguans.

I would also try the regular Padron's - great cigars at a little lower price point.
I don't know what those words mean. I too love Nicaraguans! Had one for a room mate once. Really nice guy! Yeah these were kind of expensive I would like to try some of the less expensive line.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Thats the beautiful thing with cigars, experimenting with different smokes and drinks. It has taken me a few years to find what I like to drink with certain cigars.
Yeah this may have been why I was getting a strange grassy taste with the Rocky Patel Decade & 1992 I was smoking a few days ago.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby4781 View Post
I don't know what those words mean. I too love Nicaraguans! Had one for a room mate once. Really nice guy! Yeah these were kind of expensive I would like to try some of the less expensive line.
Nicaraguan puro = pure Nicaraguan tobacco cigars

Tatuaje, Illusione are popular boutique brands that use this tobacco very well.

He's letting you know those might be right up your alley if you like Padron.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Congrats!!! Padron is a great choice at anytime day or night.
I always keep 2-3 boxes of Padron 2K & 3K at all times. The anniversary line are super great smokes... Keep the in the humidor at all time...
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

I encourage you to keep exploring the anniversary line of Padron's they are all pretty good. I love the family reserves.
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Nicaraguan puro = pure Nicaraguan tobacco cigars

Tatuaje, Illusione are popular boutique brands that use this tobacco very well.

He's letting you know those might be right up your alley if you like Padron.

Forgot to mention, I would try the Don Pepin Garcia and MyFather lines as well. For the Pepin's I like the Blue label and the Series JJ.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

A puro is a cigar made up of one country's tobacco. The Padrons have a nicaraguan wrapper, binder and filler which makes it a puro. An Opus X is another example of a puro as it uses all Dominican tobacco's.
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Thank you all! I'm still learning the lingo and I greatly appreciate the suggestions. I really should have bought a larger humidor. I just want to say that this forum has been the most welcoming for beginners in many ways! I was briefly on a forum before this that Padron obsessed. It blew! In the past few days of being in this community I have learned so much without the pretentious that can come with any hobby. Anyways, again thank you all. You have made me feel very very welcome! It's late but I'm off to smoke another because it is such a nice night here.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Welcome to the slide down the slippery slope

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

You have some great suggestions for other Nicaraguan cigars to try from some of the BOTLs above.

If you like beer, I dig a nice Imperial Stout with a full bodied Nicaraguan cigar.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
Trading: (7)
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road

Welcome, its like the saying go's. Never fly first or business class because you'll never want to fly economy again .
Same thing happend to me when I started, I tried these great cigars and was hooked. Once I try one its hard to let go and try somthing else. Because you know that one makes you feel good.

So take some advice from some posts in here and try different cigars.

I personally like natruals, not maduros. But you should know that not every dark wrapper is a maduro. I smoke plenty cigars with darker wrappers.
Like some one mentiond the my father, try tatuje, la auroua 107, hemingways, you'll should enjoy these if you like a medium to full cigar.
Enjoy
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyMan View Post
Welcome, its like the saying go's. Never fly first or business class because you'll never want to fly economy again .
Same thing happend to me when I started, I tried these great cigars and was hooked. Once I try one its hard to let go and try somthing else. Because you know that one makes you feel good.
Enjoy
I completely relate to this! That is what happened in my early years of drinking. I wrote this in my introduction thread,
"I will relate my cigar philosophy to my drinking philosophy. I have a collection of 54 different wines at the moment yet most nights my wine comes from a box. I have some exquisite 18 year old scotches yet I love me some Dewars. I have a few friends that own breweries and I have beers from all over the world but give me a Pabst or a Schlitz and I'm happy. My point is hobbyists, especially new ones, get very excited and caught up in tasting & chasing perfection. It will come, start anywhere. There does not need to be perfection in a hobby, simply enjoyment of the entire experience that goes into the event. I smoked a Rocky Patel Decade last night. Now while to me that cigar was less than just ok, I enjoyed the time while I was smoking it. Listening to music, a glass of wine (boxed) and a warm summer night. All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine. "

If it is put in front of me I most likely will smoke it, cigars that is!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
shibby4781
Snozzberry Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You have some great suggestions for other Nicaraguan cigars to try from some of the BOTLs above.

If you like beer, I dig a nice Imperial Stout with a full bodied Nicaraguan cigar.
Yes, these are fantastic suggestions and great info for a beginner. Thank you again! I do love me a good Stout. I just have trouble bringing my self to drink them in the summer.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I would go the other way...if you like Nicaraguan Tobacco, there is no REAL reeason to go past Padron. You have found
the pinnacle. I don't think there is a cigar maker that does a better job with a Nicaraguan puro or with nic tobacco.
You have tasted the high end of medium on what they offer. You can go for the top or you can discover the fantastic
cigars in the Padron regular line. For a couple bucks a pop, you can't find a better cigar outside Cuba, and sometimes
I am not even sure the Padrons aren't the 'hands down' best. I don't smoke many of em anymore, since I am filthy rich
and super-famous but I know quality and taste.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I would go the other way...if you like Nicaraguan Tobacco, there is no REAL reeason to go past Padron. You have found
the pinnacle. I don't think there is a cigar maker that does a better job with a Nicaraguan puro or with nic tobacco.
You have tasted the high end of medium on what they offer. You can go for the top or you can discover the fantastic
cigars in the Padron regular line. For a couple bucks a pop, you can't find a better cigar outside Cuba, and sometimes
I am not even sure the Padrons aren't the 'hands down' best. I don't smoke many of em anymore, since I am filthy rich
and super-famous
but I know quality and taste.
I'd put Tat right up there with Padron.

I chuckled a bit at the bolded(assuming you're being sarcastic).

And as much as Padron will deny it, they do use a Mexican wrapper, its been an unspoken but known thing for a while. And it especially became clear to me last night when I had a 64 Exclusivo, after smoking a bunch more Mexican wrapper cigars you can taste that distinct Mexican flavor in em. Not saying it takes away from the cigar in any way, still in my top 3 favorites.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote