Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Walt

Default Gettysburg

While flipping through the channels this weekend I came across a program on PCN (Pennsylvania Channel) on Gettysburg. There were three shows, all of them were Park Rangers doing one hour battleground tours with lots of lecturing. I found myself glued to the TV and soaking up every word.

After it was all said and done, I think I found a new interest and would like to learn a little more. I know that private tours are available and was wondering if anyone has ever done one? How was it?

I saw driving tours as well as bus tours but they aren't what I am loking for. I think I'd like to check it out in the Spring/Summer and was wondering if there were any Civil War buffs that could recommend a book or two for me to read before making the trek out to Gettysburg?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 AM   #2
silentjon

Default Re: Gettysburg

I went to Gettysburg this past summer. We didn't take a bus tour, but we drove around ourselves. We plan to go back next year. Maybe I won't spend so much time at the two B&Ms on Baltimore Street this time.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Whatever you end up doing,remember there are several of us right down the road from Gettysburg...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
CigarmanTim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (7)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
CigarmanTim is on a distinguished road

Been there 5 times... never had a guided tour but wish I had. Read up a little before you go. Stars in their courses by Shelby Foote and I think Shaara has written some on the campaign. Make sure to see Devil's den and there is a hotel outside of Gettysburg that has housed the most Generals in the Civil War. The name escapes me arg... old age. I bought a cannon ball (6 lber) at Gettysburg that was dug up at Manassas battlefiel. A truelly manly collectable
CigarmanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Dave Hobbs

Have to see Sharpsburg Md. Bloody Lane.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

I camped somewhere in the park and did a 10 mi hike through the battlefields when I was a kid. That was one of my favorite trips. If you've got the time, it's a bit of a different perspective if you walk rather than drive.

Send a PM to gettysburgfreak here on CA, I'll bet he can help you out
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
Walt

Jon,
I've only been to one of the shops in town. I was there for an Oliva event during Re-enactors appreciation day. Had a great time but due to rainy weather I didn't get to do too much looking around.

Dave,
Knowing that there are a few people in the area might just be grounds for a herf after a battlefield tour

Thanks for the suggestions. Will be sure to check out some of the places mentioned.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I worked there for the past two summers, first as an intern and then this past summer as a park ranger. Shoot me a PM ill give you answers to anything you want to know. I would love to set up a tour some time down there. I could give anyone interested a tour of the battlefield and then we go to dinner and then have smokes later at the Gettysburg Cigar Co.

Books to read:

Gettysburg by Stephen Sears
Testing of Courage by Noah Andre Treadeau
Gettysburg The First Day
Gettysburg The Second Day both by Harry Pfanz
Early Photography of Gettysburg by my friend William Frassanito
A Strange and Blighted Land by my good friend Gregory A Coco who is a park ranger at Gettysburg

Last edited by gettysburgfreak; 12-02-2008 at 10:27 AM.
gettysburgfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarmanTim View Post
Been there 5 times... never had a guided tour but wish I had. Read up a little before you go. Stars in their courses by Shelby Foote and I think Shaara has written some on the campaign. Make sure to see Devil's den and there is a hotel outside of Gettysburg that has housed the most Generals in the Civil War. The name escapes me arg... old age. I bought a cannon ball (6 lber) at Gettysburg that was dug up at Manassas battlefiel. A truelly manly collectable

Stay away from these two books. Foote is alright by not great and Shaara is historical fiction. The hotel is called the Cashtown Inn and is located 7 miles west of Gettysburg. Its a cool place to get lunch or dinner
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Diesel Kinevel

I used to go once or twice a year and could give the tours. I since have found myself busy with work, school and a girlfriend among other things. I love it there especially in the spring and fall when the leaves are turning. a good book to read would be killer angels. Another great book about a little known battle is Desperate Engagement. It is about the battle that saved Washington DC from the confederate forces. It took place around 10 minutes from my house on the Monocacy River.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

You must go. I've done a guided tour- it was a friend of mine that gave it, but he's not available any longer.

You will not believe how it makes you feel. I've only been to two other places in the world that have the same feel- The World Trade Center and Dachau concentration camp. Eerie.
Tikihut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 AM   #12
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Books to read:

Gettysburg by Stephen Sears
Testing of Courage by Noah Andre Treadeau
Gettysburg The First Day
Gettysburg The Second Day both by Harry Pfanz
Early Photography of Gettysburg by my friend William Frassanito
A Strange and Blighted Land by my good friend Gregory A Coco who is a park ranger at Gettysburg
That's a lot of books, how 'bout just watch the movie Gettysburg?

I'd love a guided tour, make sure to post up here if you set something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel View Post
It is about the battle that saved Washington DC from the confederate forces. It took place around 10 minutes from my house on the Monocacy River.
I've been a bit of a civil war buff since I was a kid, grew up in MD surrounded by battlefields, but I never heard about that battle until this past summer when I picked up a Civil War special edition of US News. The whole magazine was heavily slanted towards the Union, but still learned some things I didn't know.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

I am going to try and get down to Gettysburg the middle of January. If I can make this happen would anyone be interested in me giving a tour and then getting together for dinner and a herf?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #14
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Depends on the date, and if my wife lets me abandon her and our newborn son to wander around a battlefield and smoke cigars Best I can do is let you know on short notice.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #15
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

The thread title grabbed my attention. I've been interested in Gettysburg for many years and have been to the battlefield three times. A few years ago, I learned that I was named after my great-grandfathers brother who was in the 14th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment. From what I've read his regement was involved in Pickett's Charge and claim to have made it to the Stone Wall.

Someday, I would love walk the field from Seminary Ridge to Cemetery Ridge on a hot July 3rd
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
I am going to try and get down to Gettysburg the middle of January. If I can make this happen would anyone be interested in me giving a tour and then getting together for dinner and a herf?
stranger things have happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
The thread title grabbed my attention. I've been interested in Gettysburg for many years and have been to the battlefield three times. A few years ago, I learned that I was named after my great-grandfathers brother who was in the 14th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry Regiment. From what I've read his regement was involved in Pickett's Charge and claim to have made it to the Stone Wall.

Someday, I would love walk the field from Seminary Ridge to Cemetery Ridge on a hot July 3rd
I walked the storied cornfield, tried to imagine the scene that day...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
Walt

Quote:
Depending on the date I would be down for that.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
stranger things have happened

I walked the storied cornfield, tried to imagine the scene that day...

At antietam? Gettysburg has the bloody wheatfield
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #19
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post

Its a pretty amazing walk. Used to do it on a daily basis after my tours.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
SteveA
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
SteveA is on a distinguished road

"The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara may be historical fiction but is very much a worthy read. Bruce Catton and Shelby Foote should be able to provide plenty of non-fictional accounts to whet your appetite for the real thing. Gettysburg is definitely on my list of places to visit.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote