Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #381
BC-Axeman

Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblz View Post
my stash of $10/bottle Chateau Souverain Cabernet is getting just low enough that I'm starting to be depressed at the idea of either spending more or drinking crappy wine after this runs out...
What is it about this wine that stood out to you? Besides the price value.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #382
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
What is it about this wine that stood out to you? Besides the price value.
It's normally $20. Pretty good CA cab even for $20, but a steal at $10.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #383
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

At Publix with my wife a day or two before Valentines and I see Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Top Brut, Champagne, pretty standard at around $30. They were selling them two for $30, basically buy one get one free, could not beleive it, and picked them up. At ~$30 I think its a pretty good value Champagne, but at $15 its a no brainer buy.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #384
BC-Axeman

I just met a Paso Robles winemaker named David James at a cigar lounge (Perfecto) here. There is some kind of Syrah Days or something like that going on and he was exhibiting an '05 he made. He stopped in for a cigar and opened up a bottle for tasting. Very nice. Good mixture of oak, no brett and a smooth long finish. You never know who you will meet.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #385
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
At Publix with my wife a day or two before Valentines and I see Heidsieck & Co Monopole Blue Top Brut, Champagne, pretty standard at around $30. They were selling them two for $30, basically buy one get one free, could not beleive it, and picked them up. At ~$30 I think its a pretty good value Champagne, but at $15 its a no brainer buy.
Every now and then that happens at Publix, Seth. Most people, myself generally included, aren't afficionados at much more than a thing or two and I think Champagne probbly fits that bill to a T. In other words, most people buying champagne at Publix are probably going to grab a bottle or two of $9 Korbel.

To make a long story short, a while back I stumbled upon Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin at Publix marked down to like $16 a bottle. Bought every one they had. Probably not tops on everyones list, but at that price, hells yeah.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #386
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
Every now and then that happens at Publix, Seth. Most people, myself generally included, aren't afficionados at much more than a thing or two and I think Champagne probbly fits that bill to a T. In other words, most people buying champagne at Publix are probably going to grab a bottle or two of $9 Korbel.

To make a long story short, a while back I stumbled upon Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin at Publix marked down to like $16 a bottle. Bought every one they had. Probably not tops on everyones list, but at that price, hells yeah.
Yep, I don't normally look through the wine section.....but I will now.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #387
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
I would buy all of it too at that price. Good score!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #388
innova

Anyone into over-extracted Zinfandels? (Klinker Brick, anything Lodi) Looking to try something outside the usual suspects here.

-Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #389
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Is anyone into Madeira? I have decided to delve into this wine a bit. I have read as much material on it that I could fine over the last few days. In some of the reviews I have read where that particular bottling goes very well with cigars. Now I am planing to pick up a bottle or two and try it out.

Any input and/or advise would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #390
BC-Axeman

There used to be a Madiera thread. That may have been before Oct '08 ;D
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #391
ChicagoWhiteSox

I'm looking to pick up some whites from Loire Valley. Can anyone recommend some good readily available wines?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #392
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Nate, look for Huet. They make some dry ones as well as spectacular sweets.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #393
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Nate, look for Huet. They make some dry ones as well as spectacular sweets.
Thanks, I'll look for some of their offerings.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #394
ChicagoWhiteSox

Loire Valley is "the place" for whites in France right?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #395
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Also, Champalou (imported by Kermit Lynch) make some of the better wines there, both dry and sparkling at lower prices than Huet. Both of these are in Vouvray region.

If you're into sweet wines (after dinner and with cigars) along with those of Huet I'd also look into Domaine Baumard (or others from Quarts de Chaume/Coteaux du Layon regions).

On the dry Loires front, some of the better producers are located in Sancerre region: Marc Brediff and Henri Bourgeois both make great wines.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #396
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Not sure I'd call Loire "the" place for whites in France :-) There is always Alsace region producing some spectacular whites, both dry and not. Bordeaux region makes some of the best whites as well, pricey, but incredible. And there are whites in Burgundy (Chardonnay) as well Rhone (Marsanne/Rousanne/Viognier grapes). It all depends on what you're in the mood for and how much your wallet can stand the abuse :-)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #397
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Not sure I'd call Loire "the" place for whites in France :-) There is always Alsace region producing some spectacular whites, both dry and not. Bordeaux region makes some of the best whites as well, pricey, but incredible. And there are whites in Burgundy (Chardonnay) as well Rhone (Marsanne/Rousanne/Viognier grapes). It all depends on what you're in the mood for and how much your wallet can stand the abuse :-)
The most expensive whites are from Burgundy, including Meursault and Chevalier-Montrachet. Rhone has some nice whites from CdP and Cote Rotie. Generally Meursault is 'top of the pops' when it comes to white wine in France. Loire has lost popularity with the consumer, but is a great value due to that.

It depends what you are in the mood for as TheRiddick has mentioned. White Burgs are being dumped by a lot of distributors as many consumers aren't spending $50+ on white wine like they use to. Some great deals in the bin ends locally for me.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #398
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Is anyone into Madeira? I have decided to delve into this wine a bit. I have read as much material on it that I could fine over the last few days. In some of the reviews I have read where that particular bottling goes very well with cigars. Now I am planing to pick up a bottle or two and try it out.

Any input and/or advise would be appreciated.
What do you want to know. I adore Madeira, probably more than any other wine, but can get pricy.

The best easy to find Madeiras under $100 are:

Broadbent 10 year Malmsey
Broabent 1996 Colheita
Blandy's Alvada
Rare Wine Company's "Historic Series"
D'Oliveiras 1968 Bual (about $150ish)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #399
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The most expensive whites are from Burgundy, including Meursault and Chevalier-Montrachet.
Moses, I know you have a Euro-centric palate and cellar, but I am sure white wine producers in Bordeaux (and other regions in France) will disagree with you statement. When was the last time you looked at Sauternes prices? Or those of dry whites from Haut-Brion and such? They make very little (when compared to their red programs), and I only wish prices for Bordeaux whites would be in affordable category (some DRY whites reach $400 per bottle, although spectacular wines by any measure). I'd be a buyer, for sure. Most, if not all, white Burgs are affordable. North Rhone whites are more expensive than white Burgs, Chave comes to mind (Hermitage White, they start at $200 and quickly go up, that is if you can find a bottle) and there are others. Even Beaucastel white is more expensive than Burgs and its Southern Rhone.

White Burgs are much more known and more readily available, but price wise, they are not top of the heap. Bordeaux, North Rhone and Alsace are more expensive, in that order, with sweet Loires taking 4th place.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #400
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Moses, I know you have a Euro-centric palate and cellar, but I am sure white wine producers in Bordeaux (and other regions in France) will disagree with you statement. When was the last time you looked at Sauternes prices?
I wanted to stick with dry wines and keep it very general.