Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough
Default Chateau Courvoisier 4th Edition Viellissement Cognac

I know nothing about this but do you think it's worth more than $800?

Last edited by MiamiE; 04-12-2011 at 08:55 AM.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Chateau Courvoisier 4th Edition Viellissement Cognac

membership required to view
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Here is the post:

Up for sale is a 19/20 year old bottle of Cognac, this is something special for a cognac lover as you don't see this special 4th edition everyday. A little history:

4th Edition - VIELLISSEMENT (Ageing). Came to market in 1991. It displays a graceful body protecting the wine in the cellar. Courvoisier Collection Erte is the most precious of all the Cognac Brandies. Due to its a carefully chosen Brandy in 1892 (the year that Mr. Erte was born), there are only twelve thousand bottles of each edition. However, only four thousand bottles of the eighth edition are in existence worldwide. Because of its meticulous design, collectors spend top dollar to have Courvoisier Erte in their collection. There are eight editions of Erte on the market, first becoming available in 1988. Currently, the most expensive brandy is the first edition of Erte, and the price of every edition increases annually due to its rarity. Mr. Erte personally designed all the artwork for all eight editions. He is a talented artist who immersed himself in painting for about 70 years. His use of his sharp observation, wealthy imagination and his innate artistic abilities to produce these works has led to his title: Master of Art Deco

This bottle has the certificate papers and all the packaging that it came it. This has got to a FTF deal in the Broward/Palm Beach area, about once week I am in Naples/Ft Misery area. $800 OBO, any reasonable offer will be considered, please buy it before I crack it open.

eta: original receipt and other documents included.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I do not think that anything that you drink is worth $800.
Just my opinion.
The most I have spent for a bottle of beer was $50 and thats my max.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Granted a company is going to say what they say to set the right mood, or maybe it's just the poster,
but I doubt it's the most precious of all the cognac brandies. There are several others I would choose
before this, but in all, I would say that it certainly is worth hundreds of dollars. But further he tries
to lay it on thicker by stating that the price increases each year owing to rarity. The price of these items
does increase annually, but on demand, not rarity. Something can be rare and still be crap. It's just rare crap.
AGAIN, that said, 12,000 bottles doesn't sound too rare. 1-5000 seems to creep close to rare. I would pass, but
if you are looking around for a nice cognac, bookmark it and keep looking. I think it would be there
when you return. I wish I had a favorite, I only dabble in the genre, I'm afraid. Note I am not calling
this crap, just using the word in an anaolgy. It might be excellent.

Last edited by OLS; 04-12-2011 at 12:06 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I've never spent more than $220 a bottle. $800 is definitely a no way for me. I'd mow through it in a day and a half and be pissed. If it's in a decanter you know you're paying an extra $100, maybe even $200 just for the bottle. (I doubt they would put it in anything cheap.)

It is noted though, I'm not much of a cognac fan. I mean I like a few but certainly not my favorite spirit.

I just think a few boxes of Cohibas would last longer.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

The auction price of three different bottles in 07 was 680, 680 and 700 bucks. With the final release of all the
bottles held in reserve, renewed interest may spark some pricing increases. I would say that 3 years later,
800 is not unheard of, but I'd be willing to bet you are buying this to drink, in which case I would leave
the collecting and the pricing risk to the collectors. You can get some fine cognac for that kind of money.
Well, actually you have to pay about twice that for fine cognac, haha. But drinkable, acceptable cognac,
4-5 bottles for that kind of coin. If you do not have the other 7 bottles, or plan to get em, why F with it?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote