Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about
Default Col. & Rev.Views - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior
1) Aesthetics: the look of the tobacco - Flake, light blonde with some brown streaks, beautiful small rectangular flakes. one easily fills my medium sized Peterson.
Score for aesthetics:5.0 just lovely

2) Pre-light Construction: Moist, but not overly so. No topping detected from the sniff test. Very light hay like grassy smell.
Score for Pre-light construction:4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Burns well. I'll try drying a bit more to see if it makes a difference, but this came out of the bag nice. A little gurgle up front, but a cleaner handled the issue.
Score for post-light construction:3.5

4) Flavor and strength: Virginia. Later learned this is a Vaper, but the Per was very lightly applied. Very light and grassy throughout. Reminds me of Dunhill flake, a straight Va. Smooth and mild. I would have preferred a heavier dose of perique.
Score for flavor and strength:3.0 not to my tastes.

5) Aftertaste/Finish: aftertaste is of champagne. Very light and mild. Seems to be the trinidad of pipe tobacco.
Score for aftertaste 2.5

6) Aroma: more grassy hay. Hot grassy air.
Score for aroma: 2.0

7) General Comments: perhaps a good morning smoke. I love va's and vapers, but this needs some more punch for my tastes. Too "cigarettey" for me.

Avg 3.3 - this is obviously from high quality Virginias. No bite, nothing off-putting. Nothing memorable or impressive either. If you like vapers stick to escudo, though this is priced much more attractively.

Many thanks to the right Rev. for the chance to experience this without having to buy a block in bulk.

Last edited by Col. Kurtz; 07-26-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Col. Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Col. & Rev.Views - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Glad to see we have another review to do. Here is another pic.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Described by manufacturer: Very mature old belt flue-cured Virginia’s spiced with Louisiana Perique.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: I love flakes, and this is a gorgeous flake, take a look at the pic if you do not believe me. 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: Right out of the box, in regard to moisture this is eminently smokable. It is able to be folded and smoked, or it rubs out completely without much effort. As you nose the tobacco, this is a wonderfully light smelling Virginia with a bit of sweetness. I know there is Perique, but it was done with a light hand. 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: This burns delightfully. I can get bit easily, and this is one Virginia that I can mistreat by puffing vigorously and it will not come back to bite me. 4.0

4) Flavor and strength: Do not expect this to be a full bodied Virginia or VaPer (which is what it is). This is more along the lines of Dunhill Flake with just a touch of Perique, but the Perique is ephemeral (fleeting at best), showing itself more in hints of light spice. This is one that needs to be smoked slowly to get the most out of it, and that most will be more of a light sweetness with hints of light caramel. I think that in my first few bowls of this, I was not WOWed by it, it is just too light for that. It takes a few bowls and a clean palate to appreciate the complexity and “freshness” of this blend. 3.6

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This finishes very light and does not linger long. What is there is slight sweetness. 2.3

6) Aroma: I really enjoy the light sweetness in the room note with this blend. There are those who seem to think that PS-LNF has a topnote to it – if it does, the manufacturer’s notes do not say so, and I have never found it. Again, it is lightly sweet and simply enjoyable. 3.5

7) General Comments I really enjoy this blend, for the price is ridiculous for this quality of a Virginia. In the right bowl, the sweetness come flying to the fore and is exquisite. (Personally, if I think about it, I like to take some of this and rub it, add some Perique to it, squish it into a ˝ pint mason jar, let it sit for a few months, and then smoke it) 4.5

8) Recommendation: I highly recommend this blend to those who would like to enjoy a quality VA but like their Perique with a gentle hand.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Looks like we agree. High quality VA. Very subtle Perique. I'll need to re-calibrate, or either I'm catching on. How about a McClelland bulk next?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
Looks like we agree. High quality VA. Very subtle Perique. I'll need to re-calibrate, or either I'm catching on. How about a McClelland bulk next?
Go for it. Which one?

Do you want some more LNF to try so that you can get a more extended taste?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Go for it. Which one?

Do you want some more LNF to try so that you can get a more extended taste?

I've plenty, thanks. You were more than generous on our first pass and I'd estimate I have about fifteen shingles left.

I'm curious about some of these bulks because I'm establishing a cellar of sorts. I hope I find another that I like as good as Louisiana Flake.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA

I need to update my review on this one. I was rubbing it out for my review. I have found that it is a completely different animal when it's just folded and stuffed. Very rich, mildly spicy and a well behaved tobacco. I'm enough of a fan I just ordered a pound for the cellar.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
I need to update my review on this one. I was rubbing it out for my review. I have found that it is a completely different animal when it's just folded and stuffed. Very rich, mildly spicy and a well behaved tobacco. I'm enough of a fan I just ordered a pound for the cellar.
Hmm. Now I like it rubbed out and get some of the same tastes you mention.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

RA

Todd, what can I say? I'm a$$-backwards. I was born breach, so I've had it for a long time.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

I am just wondering if the quality of PS is going to be going down hill? Honestly I am wondering what the Scandinavian Tobacco Group is going to do with all the Buying of a lot of the Pipe Tobacco brands/blends that I like and smoke!? Also many of the Cigars I smoke. I have been trying to figure out what the plan is.

Very nice review, Thank you
James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Todd, what can I say? I'm a$$-backwards. I was born breach, so I've had it for a long time.
Hey, everybody can find some different things in a blend. And, different people like different things. So, the fact that our tastes may be different, and find different things when rubbed or when in flake is not unusual.

Peace of The Lord be with you.