Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default NFL Holdouts....Your thoughts?

Just got word that Desean Jackson finally ended his holdout and reported to EAGLES camp....I agree he is woefully underpaid, but is under a contract...I believe the contract should be honored, by both player and team....Naive, I know...What do the rest of you think....in favor of players holding out for more $$?...why don't we see this in other sports?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NFL Holdouts....Your thoughts?

The Giants have the same issue with Osi. The difference is that Osi showed up and rode the stationary bike to keep him from the 30K a day fine for not showing. Now he says he needs knee surgery!

I agree, if you sign a contract, then honor it!!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I think if you ***** about not making enough money for playing a game then you should not get paid at all.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
.I agree he is woefully underpaid,
They are so underpaid ... just calculate how many years it will take you to make their salary this year and then see it you still feel sorry for them ... they signed the contract they should play IMO.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
They are so underpaid ... just calculate how many years it will take you to make their salary this year and then see it you still feel sorry for them ... they signed the contract they should play IMO.
....woefully underpaid RELATIVE to other NFL players at his position...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just got word that Desean Jackson finally ended his holdout and reported to EAGLES camp....I agree he is woefully underpaid, but is under a contract...I believe the contract should be honored, by both player and team....Naive, I know...What do the rest of you think....in favor of players holding out for more $$?...why don't we see this in other sports?
From my understanding, players have really been neutered in using this as a tactic to get a new contract under the new CBA (I believe it has something to do with accruing time towards free agency eligibility). As for why we don't see this in other sports, my guess would be because of guaranteed contracts.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
The Giants have the same issue with Osi. The difference is that Osi showed up and rode the stationary bike to keep him from the 30K a day fine for not showing. Now he says he needs knee surgery!

I agree, if you sign a contract, then honor it!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
On the flip side, if the team offered the contract and it was agreed to by all parties, shouldn't they honor it as well?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
From my understanding, players have really been neutered in using this as a tactic to get a new contract under the new CBA (I believe it has something to do with accruing time towards free agency eligibility). As for why we don't see this in other sports, my guess would be because of guaranteed contracts.
thats why he came back today....passed tomorrow he would've lost a year towards FA eligibilty...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately it is the only tactic players can use to attempt to get a new contract. The owners don't have to honor contracts, so why are players expected to do the same?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

nearly $900,000 to play football is "woefully underpaid"? get the **** on.

seriously, underpaid?

Signed for 4 years, $3,058,000 after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft. The deal included a 1.353M signing bonus prorated over 4 years. He triggered a one-time bonus of 391,335 in 2009.

Last edited by loki; 08-08-2011 at 12:14 PM.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I hate when players hold out and say it's because they have out performed their contract and deserve a raise. If a player under performs are they going to give money back?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I hate when players hold out and say it's because they have out performed their contract and deserve a raise. If a player under performs are they going to give money back?
No, if they under-perform, they get cut and get no money.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
No, in professional football, they are cut.... Happens to a bunch of players every year.... We are not talking about the guaranteed contracts of the NBA and MLB.

Speaking only for the NFL. I am all for holding out and getting what you think you deserve. Players only have a VERY, VERY, VERY small window to make any money at this profession and contracts are not honored by management. If they don't produce, they will just be cut...done deal...

So long story short, I'd never be a bargain player....I'd get what I was worth or damn sure try.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
No, in professional football, they are cut.... Happens to a bunch of players every year.... We are not talking about the guaranteed contracts of the NBA and MLB.

Speaking only for the NFL. I am all for holding out and getting what you think you deserve. Players only have a VERY, VERY, VERY small window to make any money at this profession and contracts are not honored by management. If they don't produce, they will just be cut...done deal...

So long story short, I'd never be a bargain player....I'd get what I was worth or damn sure try.
he signed a contract. if i decide i'm under payed at work I can't just stop showing up to get more i'm gona get ****ing fired, not get more money. play out your contract and then try and "get dat papah".
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
nearly $900,000 to play football is "woefully underpaid"? get the **** on.

seriously, underpaid?

Signed for 4 years, $3,058,000 after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft. The deal included a 1.353M signing bonus prorated over 4 years. He triggered a one-time bonus of 391,335 in 2009.
Relative to the other professional sports, how much the owners make versus the players, given that a large majority of the money is not guaranteed and the window to make money is so much shorter in the NFL, yes.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #16
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Relative to the other professional sports, how much the owners make versus the players, given that a large majority of the money is not guaranteed and the window to make money is so much shorter in the NFL, yes.
bullshit, he's making near $900,000 this year. shut up and play or quit playing and go sell cars. no ones forcing him to play in this slavery system that's going on here
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #17
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
he signed a contract. if i decide i'm under payed at work I can't just stop showing up to get more i'm gona get ****ing fired, not get more money. play out your contract and then try and "get dat papah".
Unlike other sports, where the money is guaranteed, its not that easy. The owners can throw away a contract at any time, the players don't have the same luxury. If he gets injured this season, do you think the owners will still negotiate a contract with him as if he wasn't?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
why don't we see this in other sports?
It's all about guaranteed dollars. NFL players, on average, have a very limited career span -- I believe it is the lowest among the 4 major professional leagues. The system is (or at least was) wildly tilted in the owners favor once a player was under contract. I think it's tremendously disingenuous for owners to cry about players wanting to re-negotiate their contracts and using hold outs to get that accomplished when the owners have no problem cutting players mid-contract.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

If they continue to allow players to do this...then I believe they should allow owners to drop their salaries when they have a bad year. This is the biggest load of crap out there. While I have no doubt that he is underpaid for his position, by ability alone, he signed a contract...HONOR IT!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
If they continue to allow players to do this...then I believe they should allow owners to drop their salaries when they have a bad year. This is the biggest load of crap out there. While I have no doubt that he is underpaid for his position, by ability alone, he signed a contract...HONOR IT!!!
They do have that ability, its called cutting players, making the contract $0.