Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Tour de France 2011

It is one of the few cycling events that I actually Tivo.....

I am hoping that Leipheimer or Horner from Radioshack can make some noise.

In the end, it will be interesting to see how Cantador feels after winning the Giro(tired) or of A. Schleck can get to the top of the podium? Can Cadel Evans finally win?

http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_horscourseTDF.html

P.S. I am sure Alberto can find some beef that can help him recover and be peaking at this years TdF.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tour de France 2011

I am with you E.J, could give a crap about cycling but I do like the TdF
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

I'm sick of hearing about Contador, he should be suspended and not even riding in the Tour IMHO. I'm backing Andy Schleck all the way--he was robbed by a doping Contador last year and he deserves the win. I'm very excited for the Pyrenees this year, with Galibier making two appearances and l'Alpe d'Huez!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

In the end, it will be interesting to see how Cantador feels after winning the Giro(tired) or of A. Schleck can get to the top of the podium? Can Cadel Evans finally win?

P.S. I am sure Alberto can find some beef that can help him recover and be peaking at this years TdF.....
You're not mentioning Robert Gesink, he's a dangerous outsider. I bet he will win the white jersey and finishes in the top 3
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Shouldn't it be called Tour de Doping.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

No, Armstrong isn't competing anymore
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Love the TdF, could care less about any other cycling event...Are their other cycling events?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I'm pulling for Chris Horner to be the best American finisher in this year's tour. I really would like Andy Schleck to beat Contador, but 3 weeks of racing will determine the winner. Looking forward to the TTT on Sunday to see how the Teams with the GC contendors will shake out.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post

There is very little chance an American will podium.

Cadel specifically aligned his training so he will peak for the tour. He will be good for a top 5 finish. Not sure how strong his team is. But, I still can't see keeping up with Contador and the Schlecks in the mountains. He is just not built that way.

It will be a Contador and Andy Schleck battle. Has Contador recovered enough to compete? How has Andy improved in his time trialing? We will know next week.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
No, Armstrong isn't competing anymore
Contador is still there and so are the majority of top professional racers. Everyone dopes one way or another.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Contador is still there and so are the majority of top professional racers. Everyone dopes one way or another.
It depends on what you call dope. I think most riders are clean nowadays, with all the tests. But then again, they are on a special diet to preform better, isn't that doping too?

And what if they all take it, if they all use doping it isn't cheating anymore right? They still have to train and have to have skills. You can dope me up with the best stuff in the world, it would still take me 3 days to climb the Alpe 'd Huez.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51 View Post
Love the TdF, could care less about any other cycling event...Are their other cycling events?
Lots.

Grand Tours
Giro d'Italia
Vuelta a Espana

I personally liked Giro better than TdF.

Classics
Paris Roubaix
Milan San Remo
Tour of Flanders
Liege Bastone Liege
Giro de Lombardia

Stateside
Tour of California
Philly Classic
Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
It depends on what you call dope. I think most riders are clean nowadays, with all the tests. But then again, they are on a special diet to preform better, isn't that doping too?

And what if they all take it, if they all use doping it isn't cheating anymore right? They still have to train and have to have skills. You can dope me up with the best stuff in the world, it would still take me 3 days to climb the Alpe 'd Huez.
You can say the same thing about Armstrong. Majority of the pro were doping at that time. He is just better than everyone else. Access to better resources, a great supporting cast and that "attitude" that everyone hates about him, contributed to all those wins.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

The taking of performance enhancing drugs is still a problem in most professional sports including baseball, football and track, but cycling seems to get the most notoriety about it.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think most riders are clean nowadays, with all the tests.
But you called the rider that has tested more than any rider in the history of the sport and never officially tested positive, a doper?

I would prefer that this thread not turn into a dopers forum.... I think everyone could probably agree that every athlete in the sport has pushed the limits of what is "legal"....

When they are caught going over the edge, there is a price to pay.... (or you have the Spanish Cycling Federation declare you eligible, getting you another GT and then wait for the CAS to call you a doper.... )
Old 07-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
You can say the same thing about Armstrong. Majority of the pro were doping at that time. He is just better than everyone else. Access to better resources, a great supporting cast and that "attitude" that everyone hates about him, contributed to all those wins.
hey, I am an Armstrong fan, I was just joking around as he's the most suspected but never caught cyclist ever.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

HUpmann

Quote:
hey, I am an Armstrong fan, I was just joking around as he's the most suspected but never caught cyclist ever.
And I'm not. But saying Contador clean is so naive. Tainted meat? Sounds like a **** movie.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #18
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

the amounts found in his blood were too low to have any effect. But then again, he was involved with Dr. Fuentes before, he has a sketchy past and I don't like him. He's not a fair sporter, the way he stole the tour from Schleck last year was weak and unfair, he could only beat Rasmussen because Rasmussen was taken out of competition. Contador isn't that great.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Well, Cantador has his work cut out for him now....

He is probably pretty lucky that the TTT is so short, or he could be out of the race day 2.....
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Although the principals of good sportsmanship prevent me from truly being happy about that huge crash at the end, there's a nasty little part of me that was glad to see Contador get trapped behind it--not just for personal reasons, but also because it's going to make him more aggressive for the rest of the Tour and make the entire thing even more exciting. Congrats to Gilbert for a good day of riding. I really thought Cancellara was going to win it with his final push, but he just didn't have the gas to maintain. I was also happy to see Andy Schleck come through in the first group.

On to the TTT tomorrow!