Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road
Default Beer Shelf Life

We all know most wines age just like cigars... as well as bourbons, whiskeys, etc..

what about beers? whats the golden rule as far as beers go? How long is too long to hold onto a beer? better to keep it cold if its going to be a while? i know ive heard the term "skunked" beer before.
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beer Shelf Life

I'm getting into this a little more. Off the top of my head I know of certain IPA's that age for a good 6 months. There are some local IPA's around here that are seasonal so I like to stock up a bit.

This is a subject I'm very interested in.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Beer doesn't usually "skunk" unless its in the light, or warmer than it should be. I have beer that I've had for a while, and I've kept in my beer fridge that still tastes fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

How long are we talking here? im wondering if a limited production ale can be held onto for a number of years....
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Tripp
Pepin Ho of the NorthWest

First Name: Tripp
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Tripp is on a distinguished road

Yep, in a local beer zine, they regularly review bottles from years ago. I think the earliest I've seen them review is an '01. Personally, I've had bottles are about a year old by the time I drank them. If you really want to age something, opaque bottles are always the best way to go, and never age anything in green or clear bottles.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

How beer ages depends on several factors.

As mentioned above, storage is a big factor.

Also, the ABV%, the hop bill, etc will affect how it ages. As mentioned by tripp, you can drink a beer that is a decade old if it has been stored correctly and if it's the correct style.

As a general rule, you don't age beers that are under 6% ABV (probably even higher is needed). Also, lagers are generally not aged.

Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout and 120 IPA are two examples of beers that you can age, and in fact you should age to compare with fresh as they become two very different beers that are very good.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I heard that Three Floyds Dark Lord is one that ages great.

-Plan on going to Dark Lord days and find out for myself.-
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Alcohol and hops both help to preserve the beer, that's why IPAs are hoppy and Imperial Stouts are high ABV. Like it was said above direct Sunlight and high temps will ruin a beer. Brown Bottles are best to protect against UV light.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I was talking with a shop owner and he mentioned his wife gave him a 15 year old bottle of Chimay Premier (red label) . Best Belgian Ale he ever had ! The first Chimay Premier I ever drank was in my fridge for 2 years cause I was afraid to drink it . It was an amazing beverage . And now it's my favorite beer . I put a whole case away around November 09' to age . I have read that to age beer the bottles should be standing up as opposed to laying down like wine bottles . Good luck with your quest .
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

I spoke to a rep from Unibroue a long time ago and he said their beer could be aged up to 5 years if not longer.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I've aged Anchor Holiday Ale for 3 years with no issue. Belgian ales can age for decades.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I've aged Anchor Holiday Ale for 3 years with no issue. Belgian ales can age for decades.

The type of ale is an important factor, typically the only ales that are "aging worthy" are high gravity/high hops like IPA's, beligians, barley wines, etc.

Very few "beers" fall into this catagory, you're most talking about ales. People shouldn't think that just an average run of the mill lager/blonde, etc is going to be okay 1 year after it was bottled, that's simply not the case.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
The best beers to age are bottle-conditioned so that aging will improve flavor. IPAs tend to lose some of the hops freshness to me when they age so I consume them young but Belgian Doubles and Triples as well as strong ales and stouts/porters have the best chance to age and improve. With that said, a 6 year old Magnum of Chimay blue might possibly be the best beer I have ever had.

YMMV but caveat emptor that high temps and light are not friends of beer and yes, standing is the only way to age beer.

http://blog.beeriety.com/2009/07/13/...to-aging-beer/

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store

scottie
missed scottie's post. Not sure that I agree with the part about IPA's though. IIRC IPA's were developed by the British to preserve the ale (through the extensive use of hops) on it's long trip to India.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Correct, Vic. The issue is that it preserves the beer but the beer loses freshness. After a lengthy cellaring, the hops bitterness leaves the taste and you are left with whatever malty sweetness was there before. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but not what you put down for the nap.

My favorite IPA, Pliny, even puts it on the label to drink it fresh for the IPA flavor.

scottie
Thanks Scottie I learned something there.

In a different caragory but on the same subject, Mead also can benefit from taking a nap
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Hops lose their "sharpness" if aged more than a few to six months. An aged double IPA, such as Dogfish Head or HopSlam, becomes much more like a barleywine.

Malt-centric beers, if they are high abv%, age best.

Always store beers in a dark location. I am cautious about buying beers in the store too. I often take beers from the back of a shelf where the product receives less light.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #16
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

On New Year's Eve, I opened a bottle of this Belgian-style ale:

from 2002.

Very effervescent, fruity and tart, almost sour. It was an interesting beer, but I think it was a bit past it's age (the label said to drink it by 2007, but I had kept in the frig since then.) I tried to salvage the yeast to use in a homebrew, but didn't have much luck.

I still have some high ABV% homebrew from 1995 & 1996 that I open on occasion: a coffee stout, two spiced holiday beers, and a barleywine. I'm really surprised that they are aging so well.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
Red

beer ages great if stored properly!
hoppy beers, the hops fade out quick and loose there bit...but can still be awesome.

mostly the malts start to change flavors, and add complexity over time.

Try it out, im sure beers like heineken and bluemoon are NOT meant to be aged, but real craft beers and belgiun beers are
Old 01-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Great thread!!!

I always keep a bottle of SN Anniversary to compare each year with the new batch!!! Last years was way better!!!

I have been aging SN Bigfoot for the past few years! I'll let you know how they turn out... in a few more years!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote