Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #2601
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HailTheBrownLeaf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Thanks fellas
HailTheBrownLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #2602
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

Just smoke them now then you will know they're good
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #2603
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
Just smoke them now then you will know they're good
Shhh...I'm trying to learn patience.

At least I know (by their own verbal admission when I was in there on Monday talking with the owner in their walk-in humidor) that my local B&M sells their sticks pretty moist. So I'm trying to be patient for at least a few weeks, and am attempting to let my Boveda packs in my ziplock baggies do their thing.

Which brings me to another question. I know that once I get my Tuppador (hopefully next month) up and going that I will need to "burp" (or leave it open for like an hour) once a week to let the gasses out and let fresh air in.

Should I open my ziplocks to let gasses out or fresh air in once a week (until I get my Tuppador) or do I just leave them sealed with my sticks and Boveda inside and open them only if I want a cigar??
Old 07-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #2604
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf View Post
Shhh...I'm trying to learn patience.

At least I know (by their own verbal admission when I was in there on Monday talking with the owner in their walk-in humidor) that my local B&M sells their sticks pretty moist. So I'm trying to be patient for at least a few weeks, and am attempting to let my Boveda packs in my ziplock baggies do their thing.

Which brings me to another question. I know that once I get my Tuppador (hopefully next month) up and going that I will need to "burp" (or leave it open for like an hour) once a week to let the gasses out and let fresh air in.

No leave everything sealed until you are going to smoke something. The only thing opening a humidor, winador, tuppador, etc., does is change the humidity.

Should I open my ziplocks to let gasses out or fresh air in once a week (until I get my Tuppador) or do I just leave them sealed with my sticks and Boveda inside and open them only if I want a cigar??

Same as above, no need to open anything.
Some comments inline.

Also if your B&M sells the sticks too moist you might actually want to dry box them for a bit so they actually come down in humidity and aren't too wet for you. There are many threads on dry boxing here.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #2605
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Would having two 69% Boveda packs be overkill for a ziplock bag with only 5 cigars currently resting inside it???

I ask because I just smoked my last stick from the baggie of various sticks I bought a month ago at my B&M (with a 69% Boveda pack) and now it's just the Boveda pack left in that bag. Should I put that month old Boveda pack in my other ziplock bag with the 5 cigars that I bought a week ago?

The bag I bought last week already has another 69% Boveda in there so would adding that second one from a month ago be too much? I don't wanna waste the month old Boveda (if I don't have to) so I thought I'd ask here...
Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #2606
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf View Post
Would having two 69% Boveda packs be overkill for a ziplock bag with only 5 cigars currently resting inside it???

I ask because I just smoked my last stick from the baggie of various sticks I bought a month ago at my B&M (with a 69% Boveda pack) and now it's just the Boveda pack left in that bag. Should I put that month old Boveda pack in my other ziplock bag with the 5 cigars that I bought a week ago?

The bag I bought last week already has another 69% Boveda in there so would adding that second one from a month ago be too much? I don't wanna waste the month old Boveda (if I don't have to) so I thought I'd ask here...
It should be fine to put both Bovedas together. Look at it this way - each bag has to work half as much.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:20 AM   #2607
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Yep I went ahead and did it lol.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #2608
luther
Just in from the Storm

luther is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a second humidor (small Savoy) and am currently seasoning it with two 84% Boveda packs. I have never used the Boveda packs before. They have been in the new humi for two days and the hygrometer has not moved past 60. Normal? I plan on leaving the 84% packs in for two weeks and then switching to 72%. Thx!
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #2609
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Sounds about right, is it the seasoning kit or whatever they sell?

Welcome to the Asylum!
Old 07-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #2610
luther
Just in from the Storm

There wasn't a start up kit. The guy at the shop just said to leave the 84% in for two weeks and then switch. I assume the humidity will eventually creep up?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #2611
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Is your hygrometer analog or digital? If it's analog, trash it and get yourself a digital.
Then calibrate it using the salt test.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #2612
luther
Just in from the Storm

It is analog and built into the humidor. I have a digital in my other humi. Will probably get another digital. Do you know if I can take the built in analog out and replace it with a digital or am I better off leaving it and simply putting the digital one inside the humidor? Thx folks-appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #2613
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by luther View Post
It is analog and built into the humidor. I have a digital in my other humi. Will probably get another digital. Do you know if I can take the built in analog out and replace it with a digital or am I better off leaving it and simply putting the digital one inside the humidor? Thx folks-appreciate the feedback.
Leave the analog alone. Just get yourself another digital.

And make sure you calibrate them.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #2614
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

Well I got my 7L Klip-It and cedar trays from Amazon yesterday to make my first tupperdor.

Should I season the trays today or do I (or should I) wait until I get my 65% Bovedas that I will be using from now on as well as the hygrometer that I ordered from Canada Humidor? My package with the 65% Bovedas and hygrometer from Canada Humidor should be here on Monday....

See to season the trays I was gonna spray them with a spray bottle of DW just enough for the wood to darken (I think) then you let them dry and then you spritz them again don't you???

That's how you easily season the trays am I right??
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 AM   #2615
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You should season the trays -- treat them like you would treat a wooden humidor. Season the trays inside your Tupperware container using a damp sponge (distilled water). There are a number of threads here that can provide more details on seasoning, but the key point is not to rush it -- give the trays a week or two to properly season.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #2616
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

CigarNut Nailed it. If you don't season them they will absorb all the humidity they can the moment you introduce them to the enviroment.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #2617
HailTheBrownLeaf
Still Watching My Back

When spritzing the trays and wiping them down I assume I spritz and wipe down absolutely all of it right?

The sides, all of the outside, every part of the inside inside, even the bottom of the tray right??
Old 08-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #2618
AdamJoshua

I've never sprayed water directly on shelves, I've only seasoned them like a small humidor with distilled water. I put them in an airtight area with a shot glass (or more) of distilled water. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer, but for me personally I was always worried about too much water being absorbed and the wood warping or swelling too much to where there isn't a good fit.

Again, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post
Old 08-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #2619
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I've never sprayed water directly on shelves, I've only seasoned them like a small humidor with distilled water. I put them in an airtight area with a shot glass (or more) of distilled water. I'll let someone more knowledgable answer, but for me personally I was always worried about too much water being absorbed and the wood warping or swelling too much to where there isn't a good fit.

Again, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post
I've seasoned about 2 dozen desktops and a couple of cabinets by wetting a papertowel with distilled water and rubbing them down, then using the shot glass method. It has never caused a problems for me, and you can tell they are much cleaner by the amount of red micro sawdust that is collected on the wet papertowel. (Spanish cedar sawdust has a reddish hue to it.)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #2620
AdamJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
I've seasoned about 2 dozen desktops and a couple of cabinets by wetting a papertowel with distilled water and rubbing them down, then using the shot glass method. It has never caused a problems for me, and you can tell they are much cleaner by the amount of red micro sawdust that is collected on the wet papertowel. (Spanish cedar sawdust has a reddish hue to it.)
See i knew someone that knew better would post, thanks for the input