Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #561
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rolling your own

Keep up the good work Drew! I will be paying attention! Really loved the Roxy Maduro you gave me at the Pittsburgh Herf!

The bomb that those "Zombie Hunters" sent us contained a Roxy M....I selected it and will keep it all to myself!!!! Ha! Good stuff bro....

Keep it coming!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #562
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

if anyone is interested, I will have a new set of a test blend coming out. RG will be 52 and the wrappers will vary, some new dark leaves were given to me to try. pictures to come soon.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #563
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

this cost a pretty penny... i think the handle is gold according to what was paid...

also some of the new sticks outer sets are 5.5x52, inners are 58x3.75
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #564
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
this cost a pretty penny... i think the handle is gold according to what was paid...

also some of the new sticks outer sets are 5.5x52, inners are 58x3.75
DAYUM! Those look tasty Andrew!!!!! Great job my friend. I want a ROXY sticker.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #565
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
DAYUM! Those look tasty Andrew!!!!! Great job my friend. I want a ROXY sticker.
hmm will have to get some made...
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #566
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
hmm will have to get some made...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #567
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Hi there! I have been away from the asylum for a few months and I missed your thread about cigar rolling - it's very intriguing!

When I was in college (2002-2006) I rolled cigars. I acquired the various molds, tuck cutter, chaveta, rolling table, cigar glue, etc ever a period of about a year. I made roughly 3000 cigars over the 4 years, selling them to friends, a local store, and during promotional events in NC. I really enjoyed myself!

For labels (on the boxes and cigars), I used microsoft publisher to create a design (it was pretty easy to use) and printed a sheet of about 20 cigar bands at a time, cut them out by hand, and banded them onto the finished cigars with non-toxic glue sticks. The box labels were done in a similiar manner - created on MS publisher, printed, cut, and afixed to the box with a glue stick. I went to a cigar band printer with a design, but he wanted upwards of $1000 for the first printing of bands and they looked pretty bland. THe MS Publisher stuff looked better in the end.

All of my equipment was purchased second hand. The molds were purchased online through a variety of sources, most often through ebay for about $20.00 a piece. The tuck cutter (end cutter) came from ebay too for maybe $15.00. A friend who is a carpenter build me a collapseable rolling table that he modeled off of a rolling table at the Selma, NC JR Store. The chaveta was a repurposed Ulu knife from walmart. The "cigar glue" came from the local grocery store; liquid pectin. If I purchased all of my uqipment new, it would've cost me about $2000. I paid around $200.

The tobacco came from http://otoaocigars.com/main.htm.

Fast foward to 2012 and I am in the Army, married with 2 little boys, and pressed for time. I'd love to get back in the hobby, but now may not be the time.

I may have some MS Publisher templates for cigar bands on my PC if that interests you. Please keep at it, it looks like you are doing excellent with your latest creations. Thanks for sharing.

-Paul
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #568
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
CoastGuard (Active)
Shawn hines will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4001 View Post
Hi there! I have been away from the asylum for a few months and I missed your thread about cigar rolling - it's very intriguing!

When I was in college (2002-2006) I rolled cigars. I acquired the various molds, tuck cutter, chaveta, rolling table, cigar glue, etc ever a period of about a year. I made roughly 3000 cigars over the 4 years, selling them to friends, a local store, and during promotional events in NC. I really enjoyed myself!

For labels (on the boxes and cigars), I used microsoft publisher to create a design (it was pretty easy to use) and printed a sheet of about 20 cigar bands at a time, cut them out by hand, and banded them onto the finished cigars with non-toxic glue sticks. The box labels were done in a similiar manner - created on MS publisher, printed, cut, and afixed to the box with a glue stick. I went to a cigar band printer with a design, but he wanted upwards of $1000 for the first printing of bands and they looked pretty bland. THe MS Publisher stuff looked better in the end.

All of my equipment was purchased second hand. The molds were purchased online through a variety of sources, most often through ebay for about $20.00 a piece. The tuck cutter (end cutter) came from ebay too for maybe $15.00. A friend who is a carpenter build me a collapseable rolling table that he modeled off of a rolling table at the Selma, NC JR Store. The chaveta was a repurposed Ulu knife from walmart. The "cigar glue" came from the local grocery store; liquid pectin. If I purchased all of my uqipment new, it would've cost me about $2000. I paid around $200.

The tobacco came from http://otoaocigars.com/main.htm.

Fast foward to 2012 and I am in the Army, married with 2 little boys, and pressed for time. I'd love to get back in the hobby, but now may not be the time.

I may have some MS Publisher templates for cigar bands on my PC if that interests you. Please keep at it, it looks like you are doing excellent with your latest creations. Thanks for sharing.

-Paul
I am currently at Camp Patriot in Kuwait, if you got anything for the Military brothers, I would like to look at them...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #569
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

ok back to the rolling aspects of things. I learned a couple neats tricks from a great guy. In order to do a pigtail, either long or short, you cut your cap with the cap tool ( copper pipe) and make a pac man ( cut a V in the cap) so you can go around the pigtail.

Worked out great.

I also have a 3.75x58 "~nub" that has an aged wrapper.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #570
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

I need a lot of help with caps. Maybe you could do a video or series of photos w/ explanation. Your cigars look great.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #571
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

PM sent on the nub sized smoke Andrew.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #572
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Andrew, I just looked back at your first pics in Oct and the ones you posted yesterday and all I can say is WOW. After reading the reviews I will definitely be picking up some in the future.
Looking good

Last edited by joeobx; 02-05-2012 at 09:22 AM.
joeobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #573
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
ok back to the rolling aspects of things. I learned a couple neats tricks from a great guy. In order to do a pigtail, either long or short, you cut your cap with the cap tool ( copper pipe) and make a pac man ( cut a V in the cap) so you can go around the pigtail.

Worked out great.

I also have a 3.75x58 "~nub" that has an aged wrapper.
Looks solid Andrew! Great stuff
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #574
schollianmj

Sweet, Roxy Nubs.... or wait, Nub is trademarked, and Roxy was taken from your dog.... So, Roxy Pugs?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #575
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Cute dog
Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #576
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Or stub. But the pug pic is funny.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #577
schollianmj

I had a Dobie Rotti mix about 10 years ago, i work with a lot of shepards, yet somehow my wife talked me into getting a Pug... im confused. Dont judge me...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #578
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Loving the pigtails Andrew!
Maybe a good feature on the Brain Sticks?

A Couple other names could be :
Stump
Shank
Butt

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 02-07-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #579
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

Just recently came off the road and the first smoke I wanted to try was the maduro roxy. It had a good pre light smell and flavor, eventhough the prelite draw was abit tight I lit it up. Dispite it being young it burned well and lasted about 90min without a relight. It's flavor was boardering on greatness but must set longer. The rest will stay put for a few months to see how they mature. Love these smokes.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #580
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Damn bro. You are getting hella good at it.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote