Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Resipsa

Default Converting house to LED light bulbs

Has anybody bit he bullet and done this?

What kind of energy savings have you seen?

At 30-40 dollars per bulb it would cost me several hundred dollars, could use some input
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
SSDVC
Life is short, Relax

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
SSDVC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Converting house to LED light bulbs

I have taken a look at this over the past few years and have been watching the market and evolution of the bulbs for a while.

You can cut lighting consumption by 90% by going to all LED bulbs. However, they are just now starting to introduce better, warmer lighting 'color" and it is not perfect...yet. I think that over the next 2 years you should see a drastic drop in price for the bulbs, a better color rendition from them and a more robust "spreading of the light output from the bulb. Once this happens, I will jump in.

I am going to purchase several sets of commercial Christmas lights next season. I am not impressed by the Home Depot specials, but places like Planet Christmas have some links to some really good companies selling some nice stuff. Putting those lights up for the holidays will save some decent dollars for me, again about 90% of my normal "seasonal" increase.

Anyway, that's my limited knowledge dump.
SSDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

last time i looked at them in person i still felt like i was in a morgue, even for the "warm" version.
for me that's the end of the story until they look better. same reason i've never switched to CFLs
until recently, leds could not be dimmed, but now there are dimmable leds.
as of a couple of years ago, CREE seemed to be the one company with a quality dimmable led (this was mostly for recessed lights). at the time they could go up to $70 a bulb.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I think LED's... given prolonged exposure... and the terrible terribleness of them... will rot your cigars and give you a brain cloud.

EDIT: Actually in all reality LED's are the best light source for cigars because they cause no fading (unlike fluorescent) and little heat (unlike incandescent)...

But the brain cloud is a real threat. Don't underestimate it it. Otherwise you'll find your self on an island full of the orange soda drinking native tribe of the Waponii-Woo.

Last edited by ninjavanish; 11-09-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: You load 16 tons and what you get? Another day older and deeper in debt.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

We have two ceiling fans in our living room that use halogen bulbs. I swear I can feel the room temp increase whenever I turn on the lights. They seem to be going out all the time (to me anyway) so I decided as these 6 bulbs fail I will replace them with the LED version.
Only one halogen has gone out so far. I really like the LED bulbs for this particular room/set up. The LEDs are $30 and have a 6 year warranty, which I've filed the receipts away for these bulbs.
Replacing the bulbs for the can-lighting downstairs will be scary. There are 9 I think, and those LED bulbs are still $50-$60, so we'll keep it with the CFL's for now.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
LigaPrivadaT84

The City requires us to put in LEDS or energy saving bulbs in construction for all our residential homes. The energy saved will justify the costs via your electric bill.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I don't plan on going full scale on the LEDs anytime soon. I am considering them in some of the case lighting (curio, china cabinets, etc.) I have installed CFL wherever possible. I have a lot of motion sensor switches going into various rooms and hallways that don't always work well with CFL's.

We don't burn a lot of table lamps, ceiling lights etc - but we do have a lot of accent lighting. I also use a lot of halogen ceiling lights for picture lighting. In these cases all of them are on dimmers to get the right effect. Using LEDs I don't think I could get the same effect without the yellow light cast. In most all cases the 50w halogens are dimmed down to about 10/15 watts.

So I don't know - not looking forward to the expense nor the color.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I'm thinking about replacing my candles and kerosene lanterns with those new-fangled electrical things as my candles burn down.

Heck, I can't get my money's worth out of the CFLs (they just don't last much longer than regular incandescence bulbs for me!) Not likely to pay $40 per bulb for sure!!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I'm thinking about replacing my candles and kerosene lanterns with those new-fangled electrical things as my candles burn down.
So you finally upgraded from whale blubber oil lamps?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

So doing some quick research and math... Something just doesn't add up to me with the led lights as a cost savings.

According to the Energy Star website it claims that on average the led will save about $6 per year on energy and about $40 over the span of its lifetime. If the bulb itself costs $40 then you haven't saved any cost at all really. Most places I look have 75w incandescent bulbs for about $1 a piece. So even if you have to replace the incandescent every 2 months (which I highly doubt) you are still on par with the yearly broken down cost of an led
Bulb ($40 / 6 years = $6.66 cost per year of usage for LEDs)

So with a little quick albeit potentially flawed math the cost/benefits analysis seems to show that you would still actually save money by sticking to incandescent.

However if you are one of the greenie tree hugger types that needs to believe that they have somehow protected an emperor penguin by spending $40 on a lightbulb... Then LEDs are definitely for you.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
So doing some quick research and math... Something just doesn't add up to me with the led lights as a cost savings.

According to the Energy Star website it claims that on average the led will save about $6 per year on energy and about $40 over the span of its lifetime. If the bulb itself costs $40 then you haven't saved any cost at all really. Most places I look have 75w incandescent bulbs for about $1 a piece. So even if you have to replace the incandescent every 2 months (which I highly doubt) you are still on par with the yearly broken down cost of an led
Bulb ($40 / 6 years = $6.66 cost per year of usage for LEDs)

So with a little quick albeit potentially flawed math the cost/benefits analysis seems to show that you would still actually save money by sticking to incandescent.

However if you are one of the greenie tree hugger types that needs to believe that they have somehow protected an emperor penguin by spending $40 on a lightbulb... Then LEDs are definitely for you.
If this is the link you're looking at, that is not talking about LED bulBs, it's talking about plain old bulbs with an energy star rating

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...up&pgw_code=LB

Thanks everybody for the input. I'll probably buy a few and test them out in the kitchen

If nothing else, I figure the bulbs have a 6 year warranty on them, and are supposed to last for up to 23 years. If they only last 6, how many light bulbs do you go through in that time. 30 dollars for 6 years of light bulbs seems like a fair trade to me, not even counting in any possible energy savings
Old 11-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Too damn bright. I don't really even like the curly spiral thingy lights.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDVC View Post
I have taken a look at this over the past few years and have been watching the market and evolution of the bulbs for a while.

You can cut lighting consumption by 90% by going to all LED bulbs. However, they are just now starting to introduce better, warmer lighting 'color" and it is not perfect...yet. I think that over the next 2 years you should see a drastic drop in price for the bulbs, a better color rendition from them and a more robust "spreading of the light output from the bulb. Once this happens, I will jump in.

I am going to purchase several sets of commercial Christmas lights next season. I am not impressed by the Home Depot specials, but places like Planet Christmas have some links to some really good companies selling some nice stuff. Putting those lights up for the holidays will save some decent dollars for me, again about 90% of my normal "seasonal" increase.

Anyway, that's my limited knowledge dump.
Scott, if you want to buy some good LED Christmas lights, check out http://illumimax.com. He's a friend of mine here in TX. Good guy. He does a large Group Buy of lights every year around February. They won't get delivered until July/August. He buys direct from China and has certain specs that have to be met (we use them for animated lighting, so they have to be able to turn on/off hundreds of times for our displays. His prices will fluctuate yearly due to copper prices at the current time, but once he sets the price, it won't change. I've bought from him for years and have only had one issue and he made it right (someone took part of my order, so he replaced everything at no cost to me.) Yuo can become a member at http://www.lone-star-holidays.com/ to check when the group buy is or send him an e-mail from his website and he'll add you to his list. You can tell him Adrian from Allen, TX referred you.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Too damn bright. I don't really even like the curly spiral thingy lights.
I've had mixed experience with the CFLs. The bulbs in my bathroom are great - nice light and no weird colors and they turn on right away unlike some that seem to "warm up" to full brightness.

I recently put some in my kitchen ceiling fixtures and it's like you're in some kind of laboratory. The light is harsh and really, really blue.

I'm sure they were two different brands so I'll have to pay closer attention to what I'm buying.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky101 View Post
I've had mixed experience with the CFLs. The bulbs in my bathroom are great - nice light and no weird colors and they turn on right away unlike some that seem to "warm up" to full brightness.

I recently put some in my kitchen ceiling fixtures and it's like you're in some kind of laboratory. The light is harsh and really, really blue.

I'm sure they were two different brands so I'll have to pay closer attention to what I'm buying.
Incandescent bulbs, which is what we are all used to come in one flavor,
2700k. That gives the yellowish light we are used to.

LED/CFL bulbs you need to look at the package to see what you're buying. Warm White (2700k), Bright white (4000k) and daylight (6000k).

In general, the higher the number, the whiter the light.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Incandescent bulbs, which is what we are all used to come in one flavor,
2700k. That gives the yellowish light we are used to.

LED/CFL bulbs you need to look at the package to see what you're buying. Warm White (2700k), Bright white (4000k) and daylight (6000k).

In general, the higher the number, the whiter the light.
Yes. The daylight CFL bulbs look odd to me. I bought a pack and had to change them with the warm white ones. I tried to get used to them, but couldn't.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

I put blue LED's under the gunwales of my boat. I don't think that'd be real cool inside though.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
Trading: (1)
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

I have 6 in my house and it reduced my bill from $100 a month to $82. I am an electrical contractor and have installed several different models ranging in price. For recessed light I prefer the whole driver/trim in one piece. They offer a cleaner look when off because of the frosted lens. I prefer the 3k models as they give close to the incandescent color everybody want and still high lumen output. The 2700k is not as bright and the 3600k and 4k make you feel like your in a office. This is a great model and is what I have installed in my house. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 I have installed more expensive models but the main factor to look for is CREE technology.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguy747 View Post
I have 6 in my house and it reduced my bill from $100 a month to $82. I am an electrical contractor and have installed several different models ranging in price. For recessed light I prefer the whole driver/trim in one piece. They offer a cleaner look when off because of the frosted lens. I prefer the 3k models as they give close to the incandescent color everybody want and still high lumen output. The 2700k is not as bright and the 3600k and 4k make you feel like your in a office. This is a great model and is what I have installed in my house. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 I have installed more expensive models but the main factor to look for is CREE technology.
Out of curiousity can you guess at how much more your bill would drop if you replaced all of the bulbs in your house?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

From a buddy of mine.

"Ok, just converted 16 of my recessed lights to LED. These use 10 Watts instead of 65 each. Cost me $480 bucks to convert them all, and they will save more than $2800 in energy costs over their 20 year lifespan. (oh ya, did i mention they last 20 years). They dim lower than regular incans, and are brighter on high. Half are at full dim, and half are on full high in this pic. The color temp is cooler than incan, but VERY neutral. Not blueish like most LEDs, and none of that greenish CFL tint. And they put out VERY little heat."
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote