Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Darrell

Default Cover Letter

When I went through TAP before separating from the Air Force they taught me all kinds of great things about resumes, job interviews, etc.

However they didn't teach me about cover letters.

What is a cover letter? How do I make one?

I've looked at a few examples from Google, but I don't see the point. They basically seem to underline some qualifications you mention on the resume.

It's redundant. Please help.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cover Letter

Think of it as your intro post in a forum.

A cover letter should catch the attention of the reader (person screening the resumes) and give them a reason to review and take a closer look at your resume. It is much like the handshake when introduced to someone.

Redundant? Not at all. It is a critical piece of the application process.

How do you make one? You put your fingers on the keyboard and press the little letters to make words.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Think of it as your intro post in a forum.

A cover letter should catch the attention of the reader (person screening the resumes) and give them a reason to review and take a closer look at your resume. It is much like the handshake when introduced to someone.

How do you make one? You put your fingers on the keyboard and press the little letters to make words.
Ah, that makes sense. LOL, I guess the "how do I make one" question was pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for your help, Peter.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

In general, a good presentation follows the following formula:

1. Tell them what you're going to tell them

2. Tell them

3. Tell them what you told them

You can look at the cover letter as 1, the resume as 2 and your interview as 3
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

Yeah, in many respects it's more important than the resume... as a well written cover letter will be what many employers use to determine if they even look at your resume. Word should have several pre-installed templates (with more online) that may be helpful in getting you started.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...467921033.aspx

hope all goes well.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

While the resume is your qualifications, showing that you can do the job, the cover letter is your sales pitch. It's about why you would be a better pick than Joe from down the block who has all the same skills and more experience. It is the single most important part of any job search done directly with hiring managers and HR people. Think of it as a written version of how you will sell yourself in the interview. Use it to tell them why you are the best fit for the job, and everything else becomes a formality.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Darrell

Does anyone have a copy of their own I can see? I don't like using web templates, they sound so cookie cutter. I'm not going to copy your letter, but I want to see how it reads so I better know how to do it myself.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Darrell, think about it this way. The average HR Recruiter may get hundreds, even thousands, of resumes for a job.

The cover letter is the first thing they glance over. By the time they get to yours, they may have already looked over countless cover letters/resumes, and are tired.

What will make them wake up and want to look at your resume? What will make them think "Hey, this person may be better qualified and a better fit as compared to all the others?".
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

use violet paper, Darrell, that might be a good start for you.

JK, good luck on the whole process.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Lot's of good stuff so far has been mentioned.

What industry are you targeting? I can only speak from my industry.

Things like US Citizen, Secret Cleared, MBA, Medal of Honor, or stuff that immediately attracts attention to you vs. everyone else should be in the cover letter.

Your relevance to the company at hand is good too. Your skills along with something unique about their company catches the eye.

Keep it short. I never held much regard to cover letters, but in my industry the cover is not that big a deal. Other professions or entry jobs it may well be.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Lot's of good stuff so far has been mentioned.

What industry are you targeting? I can only speak from my industry.

Things like US Citizen, Secret Cleared, MBA, Medal of Honor, or stuff that immediately attracts attention to you vs. everyone else should be in the cover letter.

Your relevance to the company at hand is good too. Your skills along with something unique about their company catches the eye.

Keep it short. I never held much regard to cover letters, but in my industry the cover is not that big a deal. Other professions or entry jobs it may well be.
This is good advice. A cover letter should be tailored and customized for each application/position.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting this...cover letters have always been a major problem for me too.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is good advice. A cover letter should be tailored and customized for each application/position.
There is no such thing as a generic cover letter. Each time you send out a resume for a specific job, the cover letter should be made to show how your skills and qualifications fit that position. No two cover letters should ever be alike. Different companies in the same industry should receive different letters.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

A friend of mine in HR told me that above all, the cover letter should be completely free of errors. He said that when sorting through resumes, a misspelling gets you passed right over.

If you have any spelling or gramatical challenges, have someone proof read it.
(I think I may have made a gramatical error with proof read).

He went on to say that if your resume is the cake, the cover letter is the icing.

Of course, a proven track record or unique skill makes some spelling errors easier to overlook.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Resipsa

Quote:
Exactly. Read the job advertisement and look for the key words in it, then tailor your letter to include that information:

"successful applicant will have outstanding research and writings skills"

don't say "I have excellent research and writing skills". Say " as a two year editor on Law Review....". Show them, don't tell them.

Do that for every key word you can pick out. If someone
is well qualifed for a job the cover letter is a piece of cake, it's your time to shine
Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

I was just talking to my daughter about this. She was having me proof her resume and cover letter. I helped her write a resume that highlighted jobs she's had that gave her experience relevant to the internship she is seeking. Her cover letter expanded on the bullet points in the resume to show that not only did she have the experience needed but could adequately paint a picture of her experience and how it would benefit the potential employer. She also pointed out charitable projects she has organized or has helped with as a tram leader. She got the internship today so, I guess the old man still has some talent in that area!

MCS
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Check out their website and see what the company mission statement is also.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
A friend of mine in HR told me that above all, the cover letter should be completely free of errors. He said that when sorting through resumes, a misspelling gets you passed right over.

If you have any spelling or gramatical challenges, have someone proof read it.
(I think I may have made a gramatical error with proof read).

He went on to say that if your resume is the cake, the cover letter is the icing.

Of course, a proven track record or unique skill makes some spelling errors easier to overlook.

I couldn't agree with this more. We have been interviewing for several positions and one of the guys we brought in had one of the worst cover letters I have ever read. Spelling and grammatical errors, run on sentences. . .

Let's just say if it had been up to me, he would not have even brought him it. Strike 1 for sure.

In this economy, definitely spend some time on this one and if you are a little weak in grammar or spelling, have someone proof read it before sending it off.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
floydpink
crazy diamond

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

It's definitely a tough market and many overqualified people are taking less paying jobs to avoid losing their homes.

I'm not sure if it's going overboard or what, but my company puts you through a Gallup Poll where you have a few seconds to answer an array of questions that supposedly let them know if you will fit into the corporation's culture. I've heard these aren't cheap to do.

This is AFTER they read your cover letter and had at least 2 seperate HR people interview you and verified your background and sent you to pee in a cup.

A poorly put together cover letter is lucky to get a call back telling them they weren't hired, and I personally never heard of it.

If it were me, I would pay someone who is qualified to sit down with me and help me nail this thing.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

We hire people for jobs in the 18K to 30K range for various positions. They take a total of 6 different tests/questionnaires prior to even getting a sit down with a human. Cover letters are very important as is the resume. People too lazy to even turn on MS spell check and grammar checker will NEVER be hired by us.

Many noted good points for the cover letter. Use their job description phrases in your cover letter, nice 20# paper or better (white or off white is best), tell them you WANT the job, etc. For the job I have now I had a professional interviewer look my paperwork over. One silly and simingly stupid trick she gave me. Paper clip the pages together with a colored paper clip. She said the secretaries and HR folks love them. Yours gets sucked to the top just so they can swap the clip out with a silver one. Go figure. Your name and address should be on every piece of paper you give them in case the package gets parted out.

As my post indicates, thank god my IT skills are better than my forum typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
It's definitely a tough market and many overqualified people are taking less paying jobs to avoid losing their homes.

I'm not sure if it's going overboard or what, but my company puts you through a Gallup Poll where you have a few seconds to answer an array of questions that supposedly let them know if you will fit into the corporation's culture. I've heard these aren't cheap to do.

This is AFTER they read your cover letter and had at least 2 seperate HR people interview you and verified your background and sent you to pee in a cup.

A poorly put together cover letter is lucky to get a call back telling them they weren't hired, and I personally never heard of it.

If it were me, I would pay someone who is qualified to sit down with me and help me nail this thing.