Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
tchariya
Taters of the lost Ark

Trading: (13)
RG
tchariya will become famous soon enoughtchariya will become famous soon enough
Default Concealed cary law news in Illinois -Step closer!!

Link to article

Illinois panel OK's concealed-carry gun law
Kari Andren
POST-DISPATCH SPRINGFIELD BUREAU
02/18/2009

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - An Illinois House panel overwhelmingly approved legislation Wednesday that would allow residents to carry concealed handguns or other weapons in public.

Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two states in the country that do not allow concealed carry.

The House Agriculture and Conservation Committee advanced two versions of the legislation by an 11-1 vote. One version would require the Illinois State Police to issue the concealed carry permits; the other would task county sherrifs with issuing permits.

Both bills would require permit applicants to be "law-abiding citizens" and to complete a training course in handgun use, safety, marksmanship and laws pertaining to firearm use.

"It's high time Illinois join the overwhelming majority" of states that allow concealed carry, said Todd Vandermyde, legislative liaison for the National Rifle Association. "Forty-eight other states can't be wrong."

Vandermyde said carrying a handgun is critical for self-defense.

"If I don't have the ability to have a firearm on my side, I don't have a fighting chance," he said.

Opponents, however, said more access to guns creates only more risk of death and injury and that concealed weapons do not lower crime rates.

Chris Boyster, downstate director for the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, said that Missouri is a concealed carry state but that crime rates in St. Louis have worsened since the law went into effect.

"Crime has not gone down in the city of St. Louis; in fact, it continues to increase," Boyster said. "Concealed carry did not deter crime rates to go down. ... In fact, one year, I believe (St. Louis) was ranked as the murder capitol of the United States."
tchariya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Concealed cary law news in Illinois -Step clos

Good luck! I hope you get the ability to defend your life!
elderboy02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Good luck! I hope you get the ability to defend your life!
Me too!!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

I find it funny that the anti-gunner quoted uses St. Louis as an example when the many other cities or states that saw a decline are never accepted by the anti-gunners.

Anyway, I think he was lying about STL being ranked murder capitol of the US. It was the "most dangerous city" in the US a couple years ago, but IIRC, they did not lead the country in murders.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I didn't realize there were any states where you couldn't carry. I can't imagine it!!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I didn't realize there were any states where you couldn't carry. I can't imagine it!!
Neither could the founding fathers...
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Concealed cary law news in Illinois -Step clos

Back a few years ago, here in Michigan, we had all the anti-gun nuts running around telling everyone that people would be shooting each other at every opportunity and that the "blood would run in the streets"... Mitch Albom, a "noted" sports writer, author and radio show host even sponsored free pizza events to have people come and sign anti-CCW petitions.

Yet after almost 10 years, there have very few incidents where a CCW licensee used his weapon improperly. And crime has gone down, except in the "gun-free" zones where one is not allowed to carry.

A few years ago on a work visit to Chicago, I was amazed when I went to a range near O'Hare airport, and the salesperson asked me for my FOID card, just to look at a handgun they had on sale! At least I could buy ammo for my handgun to practice with, using my out-of-state driver's license.

I wish you folks in Illinois luck! Make sure you join and support your pro-gun state organizations; It may be a long pull, but I hope saner heads will prevail in the end and you will all have the right to defend yourself!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Yeah, back when Ohio passed the ability to conceal carry, all of the stupid anti-gunners said that everyone would be shooting everyone left and right. That never happened.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Gonesledn
making trails

First Name: Wes
Trading: (31)
Gonesledn will become famous soon enough

yep, we have some pretty stupid gun laws around here.
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
yellowgoat

Thank goodness!! I hope I'll be able to carry a side arm, This place has too many dumb ass knuckleheads carry a lot more then just a handgun. I'd feel a lot safer going out if I have a side arm with me.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Hope it passes.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Good luck and I hope you can exercise your 2nd ammendment right in Illinois very soon.

Interesting story in my local paper yesterday.

Couple bad guys breaking and entering upscale houses and robbing and raping helpless women. On the 4th stop, 70 year old lady decides to defend herself, shoots one in the face. They run away, but I guess after a day, the guy finds out a 9mm bullet hole in the face bleeds a bit, heads to the hospital and is arrested as they are looking for someone with a hole in his face.

The lady was unharmed and deserves a pat on the back.

I am putting my wife in the class to get her ccw and feel everyone should consider it. The more bad guys with holes in their heads, the more they will think about breaking into houses.
She is scared of guns, but I am getting her comfortable with a nice S&W Airweight 38 Special.

Break into my house or mess with my family, you get matching holes in the face and a few in the chest. If you walk away, I congratulate the bad guy. Won't lose a wink of sleep over it either as the amount of scumbags and what they are capable of doing shocks me more each day.

Last edited by floydpink; 02-22-2009 at 04:37 PM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Good luck and I hope you can exercise your 2nd ammendment right in Illinois very soon.

Interesting story in my local paper yesterday.

Couple bad guys breaking and entering upscale houses and robbing and raping helpless women. On the 4th stop, 70 year old lady decides to defend herself, shoots one in the face. They run away, but I guess after a day, the guy finds out a 9mm bullet hole in the face bleeds a bit, heads to the hospital and is arrested as they are looking for someone with a hole in his face.

The lady was unharmed and deserves a pat on the back.

I am putting my wife in the class to get her ccw and feel everyone should consider it. The more bad guys with holes in their heads, the more they will think about breaking into houses.
She is scared of guns, but I am getting her comfortable with a nice S&W Airweight 38 Special.

Break into my house or mess with my family, you get matching holes in the face and a few in the chest. If you walk away, I congratulate the bad guy. Won't lose a wink of sleep over it either as the amount of scumbags and what they are capable of doing shocks me more each day.
Yep. Exactly. Also, people should think about getting their CCW's more now than ever. With the growing unemployment, crime is going to skyrocket.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Diesel Kinevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Neither could the founding fathers...
ditto, its a shame its come to this
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Ace$nyper

Hopefully you guys get your RIGHTs back.

Great to hear it's on the path to being restored.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Best of luck in your pursuit of your 2nd ammendment rights. Don't just stand on the sidelines. Write your legislators!

Any person who owns a gun or believes in your constitutional rights should be a member of the NRA.

Bottom line, the pro-gun lobby needs all the help it can get with the VERY anti-gun administration in Washington.

The NRA is the leading gun lobby. What better argument for gun rights can the NRA lobby go to congress with than, "Hello Congress-Critters! I represent 70 million gun owners!"

As of now, it is WELL below that number. Click on the link in my sig and JOIN THE FIGHT!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Best of luck in your pursuit of your 2nd ammendment rights. Don't just stand on the sidelines. Write your legislators!

Any person who owns a gun or believes in your constitutional rights should be a member of the NRA.

Bottom line, the pro-gun lobby needs all the help it can get with the VERY anti-gun administration in Washington.

The NRA is the leading gun lobby. What better argument for gun rights can the NRA lobby go to congress with than, "Hello Congress-Critters! I represent 70 million gun owners!"

As of now, it is WELL below that number. Click on the link in my sig and JOIN THE FIGHT!
+1. I am a life member of the NRA. I am always sending my reps e-mails and calling their offices. You have to stay on them to get them to listen to you. Also, donate money to the NRA-ILA whenever you can.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Cigary

My neighboring city Kennesaw, Ga. has a law on the books where you are required to have a gun,,,,,Crime Rate Plummets in Kennesaw, GA
Feb 24, 2000 ... The major press has conveniently ignored the almost non-existent crime rate in Kennesaw, Georgia where gun ownership is mandatory.

www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plum... - 6k
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
My neighboring city Kennesaw, Ga. has a law on the books where you are required to have a gun,,,,,Crime Rate Plummets in Kennesaw, GA
Feb 24, 2000 ... The major press has conveniently ignored the almost non-existent crime rate in Kennesaw, Georgia where gun ownership is mandatory.

http://<b>www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd..._rate_plum</b>... - 6k
Link no worky
Old 02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Waynegro1

I really hope it passes. Here in MO we've had it for some time now. I make quite a few trips to Chicago and have to take my hand gun apart and put the pieces in the trunk, console, glove compartment etc. I'm not joking. I got pulled over last year and the officer came right out and said "Ok, you're from Missouri, where is your gun?" They don't mess around in the Land of Lincoln.

I'm pulling for you guys, and being a Blues (Hockey) fan this is not a common occurance.