Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road
Default Savinelli Rico y Raro Series Y Double Robusto

I was in a shop and saw the new line that Savinelli is putting out. Many of us have observed the new ads by Savinelli touting these. I bought one of these cigars, the double robusto, 5 1/2" x 54. $7.45 for this cigar in California (Go figure with our 46% tax.)

Savinelli has has d a few cigars make the list in CA, recently the 2005 Special Selection, which received a 92 rating. Savinelli lists this cigar as a premium cigar that does not sacrifice strength. This cigar is 100% Nicaraguan grown "cuban seed" long filler and binder tobacco with two and a half leaves of Ligero. The wrapper is an Ecuadorian habano. Savinelli says, "Delivering A MEDIUM TO FULL BODIED SMOKING EXPERIENCE that will keep you
coming back for more!"

This cigar has a medium dark wrapper with a nice oily sheen. Some veins throughout the cigar with a well placed cap. No construction issues noted with a well placed band. Pre-light hints of pepper, nuts and cinnamon were present. After cutting the cap with my Palio cutter, pre-light tastes of light pepper, medium roasted coffee and a sweetness were present.

I toased this cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter and immediately tasted an oak nutty flavor. The spice was pleasant but there was a sweetness present also. Could not put my finger on this sweetness, which did include cinnamon, but also had a minor fruit taste. Not a citrus taste. A large amount of smoke emitted from this cigar, which impressed me. Allowed me ease to blow smoke rings. Good burn line with a minor tweak caused me no problems.

Into the 2nd third, this cigar continued to emit alot of lt gray smoke. The tastes of oak, toasted nuts, pepper and the sweetness remained. I was still unable to identify the sweetness. No burn or construction issues developed.

The final third, a little nicotine started to show up. It did not overpower this cigar, but was present. The burn, the smoke and the draw remained wonderful. The spice flavor picked up a bit, but the sweetness continued. The fruit flavor was similar to a dried peach with a touch of vanilla.

Overall, this cigar was ok. It is no way a full flavored/full bodied cigar. I definitely feel this cigar needs some age to allow for a better blend to develop. The sweetness was a little too much, causing the pepper to be overshadowed. The construction was excellent, but this is not a $7 to $8 cigar. I have another sample of this vitola, which will sit for about six months. Maybe the blend will meld together better, but time will tell.

I rate this cigar as a 7 out of 10. Simply put, this cigar was ok. Would smoke another one in the future, but would not rush out an buy a box anytime soon.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review and hope it helps.

AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Savinelli Rico y Raro Series Y Double Robusto

Never really paid much attention to Savinelli cigars until the Cigar Afflictionado ranking of the Special Selection. Thanks for the review.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
smokinj

Default Re: Savinelli Rico y Raro Series Y Double Robusto

Very nice review. I will have to look for a few of these