Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #181
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ask The Rabbi!!

In winnipeg you can't buy kosher meat except frozen now. Omnitsky's closed. Frozen is never as good as fresh imo!

I am definitely not one to keep kosher, but if the meat was not too much more expensive and i could buy it fresh, i would just for the taste.

Incidentally and unrelated, the same sister who now lives in Toronto is pregnant, and her due date is rosh hashanah.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #182
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

First Name: Tattejuaje
Bolivar
TomHagen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My sincere apologies, Gentlemen.
I explained to Dave in a pm that my best friend growing up happens to be Jewish . We both share a "Monty-Pythonish" sense of humor about our religions, and have spent years one-upping each other. It's always been in jest, and he and I both respect each other's Faith, as well as others.
I hadn't immediately imagined I'd offend anyone when I made that post, nor was it my intent. I will admit I thought it might be a bad idea, and that's why I quoted the earlier joking comment. I thought the context and the content would make it obvious it was simply jest..
Had it not been so early, I'm sure I'd have known better. It was certainly not something I should have posted here.
htown, Tom and Dave, I hope you can forgive me. My intent was neither to upset or hurt any of you, but it's obvious I have.
Dude, that totally came out of leftfield, especially after our previous, very positive, exchanges about your beads (which I would still love to buy, but $ is tight). I can't imagine how anyone could NOT find that post offensive, even in jest.
Nevertheless, we of course forgive you and only look forward to good things.
Staying positive,
Rabs
Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #183
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
In winnipeg you can't buy kosher meat except frozen now. Omnitsky's closed. Frozen is never as good as fresh imo!

I am definitely not one to keep kosher, but if the meat was not too much more expensive and i could buy it fresh, i would just for the taste.

Incidentally and unrelated, the same sister who now lives in Toronto is pregnant, and her due date is rosh hashanah.
B'Shah Tova!! - (in a good, auspicious time!!)

excuses, excuses - Keep it Kosher!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #184
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Lol. here's a question are there any heksher wars, like the "war" between cheese from Wisconsin (far superior, no doubt) and the cheese (if you can call it that) from California?

It can get political O-U vs. O-K, but nothing to write home about... Cheese fights are much more interesting!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #185
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Another Question:
Do you listen to any Matisyahu at all?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #186
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Under what circumstances would a Jew be permitted to perform their own ritual slaughter of a meat animal? Can you just be your own shochet and do it at home for your family's use?

Also, on the Jews killing Jesus thing.....I thought everyone who'd cracked a book or two knew that was a gross misstatement of the actual political climate of Rome at the time. There just wasn't any other way it could have turned out given the circumstances.

Basically you have a strongly expansionist Empire with the policy of managing subjugated peoples with considerable delicacy and tolerance for their diverse religious beliefs, but zero tolerance for inciting religious (and potentially armed) revolt against Rome. Governing all these far-flung conquered peoples is expensive, and they can't afford to piss off the indigenous people's fundamental beliefs and conservative elders too much, or their budget gets blown putting down too many revolts. Nope, they even build new and shinier temples to the gods of the folks they have conquered and propose to govern, because that's a strategy that works. They really work hard on keeping the conservative elements and the general populace happy. At the same time they have to firmly and swiftly put down any incitements to revolt at an early stage before they get expensive or impossible to manage. That's a delicate tightrope to walk.

Into this mix comes a long haired bearded guy claiming the title of king of the Jews, preaching in the streets, upsetting the conservative folks in the temples and generally formenting discontent and uprising. The Empire's representative (in this case Pontius Pilate) did according to standard policy for dealing with folks who rocked this particular boat. They'd done this before with other cult leaders sowing discontent in the Empire, and they did it again. Because it was this particular cult that survived to dominate the region, we hear rather more about Jesus than about the last dozen guys they nailed to a cross for doing the same thing. But from the perspective of the Roman Empire, at that time, there was no difference. He got whacked for being a rabble-rouser, basically, and that was just what they did to rabble-rousers back then.

So. Jews, not guilty. Roman Empire, guilty, but what they were guilty of was enforcing their own laws and edicts. Whether the laws and edicts of their time were "moral" according to modern standards is highly debatable, but they were the laws of the day. I don't have a moral judgment here, only a historical footnote on the context of that era's political climate.
TanithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #187
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Another Question:
Do you listen to any Matisyahu at all?
He went to my Yeshiva, I knew him before he was observant right before he came to yeshiva and our families are now very close.

No, I don't listen to him. Ever since I lived with a Rasta in college, I think I have had enough Reggae for one lifetime.

Also, Matis music isn't very good, IMHO. But he has bought some jewish-awareness...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #188
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanithT View Post
Under what circumstances would a Jew be permitted to perform their own ritual slaughter of a meat animal? Can you just be your own shochet and do it at home for your family's use?

Also, on the Jews killing Jesus thing.....I thought everyone who'd cracked a book or two knew that was a gross misstatement of the actual political climate of Rome at the time. There just wasn't any other way it could have turned out given the circumstances.

Basically you have a strongly expansionist Empire with the policy of managing subjugated peoples with considerable delicacy and tolerance for their diverse religious beliefs, but zero tolerance for inciting religious (and potentially armed) revolt against Rome. Governing all these far-flung conquered peoples is expensive, and they can't afford to piss off the indigenous people's fundamental beliefs and conservative elders too much, or their budget gets blown putting down too many revolts. Nope, they even build new and shinier temples to the gods of the folks they have conquered and propose to govern, because that's a strategy that works. They really work hard on keeping the conservative elements and the general populace happy. At the same time they have to firmly and swiftly put down any incitements to revolt at an early stage before they get expensive or impossible to manage. That's a delicate tightrope to walk.

Into this mix comes a long haired bearded guy claiming the title of king of the Jews, preaching in the streets, upsetting the conservative folks in the temples and generally formenting discontent and uprising. The Empire's representative (in this case Pontius Pilate) did according to standard policy for dealing with folks who rocked this particular boat. They'd done this before with other cult leaders sowing discontent in the Empire, and they did it again. Because it was this particular cult that survived to dominate the region, we hear rather more about Jesus than about the last dozen guys they nailed to a cross for doing the same thing. But from the perspective of the Roman Empire, at that time, there was no difference. He got whacked for being a rabble-rouser, basically, and that was just what they did to rabble-rousers back then.

So. Jews, not guilty. Roman Empire, guilty, but what they were guilty of was enforcing their own laws and edicts. Whether the laws and edicts of their time were "moral" according to modern standards is highly debatable, but they were the laws of the day. I don't have a moral judgment here, only a historical footnote on the context of that era's political climate.
Very informative.

A Schochet must study for and pass a litany of tests as far as their skill and knowledge and level of observance, as well as hands-on tests. Then they are certified as a Kosher Shochet. Once they are a Shochet they can shecht for their own family if they wish or a whole community. I know people who do both.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #189
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
Dude, that totally came out of leftfield, especially after our previous, very positive, exchanges about your beads (which I would still love to buy, but $ is tight). I can't imagine how anyone could NOT find that post offensive, even in jest.
Nevertheless, we of course forgive you and only look forward to good things.
Staying positive,
Rabs
The comment I made is actually a tweaked Monty Python reference from the Movie "Life Of Brian". It's from a movie that's set in the time of the emergence of Christ, and makes light of all the happenings of the time, and just how difficult, confusing, and non-sensical things were.
Personally, I spent my first 35 years wondering why everyone hated Jews. Growing up with my buddy, and loving him and his family as much as I did (and still do), I could never make sense of it. Ultimately I did a lot of studying and became pretty well educated in regards to Judaism as it applies socially throughout the centuries.
I'm a Christian. I've been taught that in order to secure my place in God's Kingdom, I need to accept Christ as my Savior.
Had not Christ died at the hands of the people of his time, the prophecy would not have been fulfilled and I'd be left soulless.
Were it not for the hand that Jews played in Christ's death, and his consequent rebirth, I would stand damned.
Worse yet, I'd not have my Faith, and I'd not be filled with the Love that is my God.
When I see it that way, it just further confuses me as to why Christians would have any bone with Jews at all. The Jewish influence in Christ's death literally secured my opportunity to accept Christ's Love, His teachings, and my opportunity to gain eternal life. Aside from that, my peace and happiness all is a direct result of my Faith, and my desire to emulate Christ's Love.

I've been upset since I read it. Not only the inference that I was something that I am not, but being overtly threatened for posting in a thread that the rules clearly state shouldn't exist in the first place. "No threads that are political or religious in nature will be allowed."
That's not to say I blame Dave at all. My careless choice of words put me in the predicament where I now stand, and I shouldn't have been participating in a thread I knew wasn't supposed to exist.

I've spent my life liivng, working with, and loving many very good friends who just so happen to practice Judaism. I've long thanked Judaism for not only giving birth to my God, teaching Him, and making Him the person He was, but directly and/or indirectly insuring my salvation by sending Him to his death, and ultimately allowing me to find Christianity.
I'll answer to God tonight for the trouble I've caused today, and I'll pray on it while I work out in the shop this afternoon.

Rabbi, any transaction you and I may or may not have had pales in comparison to my desire for your love, understanding and forgiveness. Those things matter to me.

I hope this helps you all to understand a little better what I'm made of, even if it falls far short of God's intent for me.
I'll continue to work on my shortcomings just as I do every day with the help of Christ. Expect me to screw up again. It happens despite my best efforts and best intentions.
Fortunately, by the Grace of God, the mindless hurt I cause people tends to get further apart every day.
Again, I hope you can all forgive me foir being insensitive, unthoughtful, inflammatory, and unthinking. I certainly know better. It's the practice that sometimes gives me fits.

Last edited by 68TriShield; 05-21-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Private messages are just that...PRIVATE
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #190
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Why do people hate Jews is a good question. It basically boils down to politics and economics, as it usually does whenever one group hates another. Environmental resources are generally scarce, so evolution hardwires us to compete for them.

Homo sapiens, and indeed almost all social mammals, are fundamentally wired to think in terms of "my tribe" and "not my tribe". The reasons for this are fairly obvious; it has a direct impact on genetic survival. Primates in particular are wired to be aggressive and ugly to competing members of the same species who fall into the "not my tribe" category. Basically, we're still naked apes, only now it's nuclear warheads we're hurling instead of feces.

The rationale can be anything, really. It can range from what name you call your deities to what food you eat to making up factually inaccurate accusations (eg, "The Jews killed Jesus") to inflame hatred. It doesn't matter; we're still talking about the psychology of in-group versus out-group dynamics. And that's the game that monkeys play. It's a highly useful and functional game in terms of evolution and genetic survival, which is why we are unlikely to see it abandoned any time soon.

In case you can't tell, my religion is basically science. I don't generally have a very high personal opinion of any beliefs that can't be backed up in a peer-reviewed journal, though I do respect and sometimes admire the spirituality of others. Whether an individual believes in G-d, Satan, Almighty Isis, pink unicorns or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, it is not something I consider any of my business. It's personal to them, and as long as they don't try to pass laws to make everybody obey their particular religious taboos, we will get along just fine. Unfortunately monotheists have a tendency to do just that, and it annoys me rather a lot.

I do have a serious question for the rabbi. I am largely agnostic myself, but was raised in the Wiccan faith. My parents told me quite seriously that I should favor Jews over Christians in business dealings, because during hard times, Jews had a history of compassionately helping Witches, Romany gypsies, midwives, folk healers and others who were persecuted mercilessly by the Christians as "evil". In short, Christians would burn us or try to forcibly convert us, and Jews would respect us and help us. So that was their version of the in-group/out-group story. Any historical verification from the Jewish end possible here?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #191
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

That's all well and good, but do dogs really go to heaven? Pets? My mother seems to be under the impression that they do, but I have a much more metaphorical view on the afterlife (and considering animals do not really think...)

ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #192
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post

Rabbi, any transaction you and I may or may not have had pales in comparison to my desire for your love, understanding and forgiveness. Those things matter to me.

Again, I hope you can all forgive me foir being insensitive, unthoughtful, inflammatory, and unthinking. I certainly know better. It's the practice that sometimes gives me fits.
Be well my friend!
Love, Understanding and forgiveness are wonderful traits to foster.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #193
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionAndy View Post
That's all well and good, but do dogs really go to heaven? Pets? My mother seems to be under the impression that they do, but I have a much more metaphorical view on the afterlife (and considering animals do not really think...)

no afterlife but we do miss my childhood dog Scooter...
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #194
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:

I do have a serious question for the rabbi. I am largely agnostic myself, but was raised in the Wiccan faith. My parents told me quite seriously that I should favor Jews over Christians in business dealings, because during hard times, Jews had a history of compassionately helping Witches, Romany gypsies, midwives, folk healers and others who were persecuted mercilessly by the Christians as "evil". In short, Christians would burn us or try to forcibly convert us, and Jews would respect us and help us. So that was their version of the in-group/out-group story. Any historical verification from the Jewish end possible here?
Jewish religion mandates respect for others and their beliefs. As mentioned in an above post, we do not preach, aim to convert or forcibly subject any non-Jews to embrace Judaism. This might be unique amongst world religions/philosophies. We are a "role" oriented faith, we have ours, you have yours... a non-Jewish persons role includes observing the 7 Laws of Noah (see www.noahide.org) consciously. Most of the nations of the world have embraced them, including our great country the USA.

The Seven Laws of Noah were recognized by the United States Congress in the preamble to the bill that established Education Day in honor of the 90th birthday of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the leader of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement:

Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great Nation was founded; Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #195
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHagen View Post
Jewish religion mandates respect for others and their beliefs. As mentioned in an above post, we do not preach, aim to convert or forcibly subject any non-Jews to embrace Judaism. This might be unique amongst world religions/philosophies.
Actually, the entire category of "Mystery Traditions" were right there before you.

In a mystery tradition, seekers must go through ordeals to qualify for initiation, and/or prove to their teachers that they are worthy and deeply committed before they are permitted to join the faith and given the key to the initatory mysteries. A fairly large number of indigenous and "folk" faiths would qualify for this designation. Wicca definitely does, as the most popular modern survival of the ancient British folk traditions.

The members of a non-proselytizing faith are still not immune from making war on out-groups, since they still compete for resources. Jews do have a significantly better track record in that department than other monotheists, and it's observed and appreciated.

If a fundamental principle of your faith is "live and let live, we do not need to make others follow our religious taboos", why is a prohibition against immoral sex acts included in the Noahide laws? Does any particular sex act between two or more consenting adults qualify as "immoral" by rabbinical judgment? If so, why?

Some other faiths, including the one I grew up in, have a rede to the effect of, "An it harm none, do as you will." In short, anything two (or three, or four, or five....) healthy consenting adults of any gender configuration choose do together in their own homes, in love or in lust, harms no one and should be fine by everyone. Consequently the only reason for passing a law against it is that it violates your own religious taboo or your personal sensibilities.

So.....if that's one of the Noahide laws that non-Jews are expected to abide by, what is the rationale behind it? And what constitutes sexual immorality according to this codification?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #196
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Rabbi...

paper or plastic?
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #197
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
Rabbi...

paper or plastic?
probably paper, but I reuse my plastic as trashcan liners and for stinky diapers
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #198
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
why is a prohibition against immoral sex acts included in the Noahide laws? Does any particular sex act between two or more consenting adults qualify as "immoral" by rabbinical judgment? If so, why?

So.....if that's one of the Noahide laws that non-Jews are expected to abide by, what is the rationale behind it? And what constitutes sexual immorality according to this codification?
Firstly, all of actions (even our speech and our thoughts) have an effect.

Secondly, the Noahide laws were given to Noach (and his family) after the flood, as he was to be the progenitor of all humanity and the world would not fail again. These are the pillars of a civilized society.
This book, Seven Colors of the Rainbow, by Yirmeyahu Bindman is one of the best, if not the best book on the Noahide Laws.

The following is from this website: http://www.hasidicuniversity.org/ind...acy/th_toc.htm
DISCLAIMER: I cannot say whether or not it is reputable, but they seem to know their stuff.
Search this website for further answers to your question(s).
Commandments Against Immoral Relations
(32 commandments)

Biblical:
+212)
To have multiple children

+213)
To marry a woman

+214)
For a groom to rejoice with his wife for one year

- 52)
No intermarriage between Jews and gentiles

- 262)
Not to withhold food, clothing, or intercourse from one’s wife

- 311)
Not to send a groom to duties away from home in his 1st year of marriage

- 330)
No relations with one’s mother

- 331)
No relations with one’s father’s wife

- 332)
No relations with one’s sister

- 333)
No relations with one’s father’s daughter

- 334)
No relations with one’s son’s daughter

- 335)
No relations with one’s daughter’s daughter

- 336)
No relations with one’s daughter

- 337)
No relations with a woman and with her daughter

- 338)
No relations with a woman and with her son’s daughter

- 339)
No relations with a woman and with her daughter’s daughter

- 340)
No relations with one’s father’s sister

- 341)
No relations with one’s mother’s sister

- 342)
No relations with the wife of one’s father’s brother

- 343)
No relations with the wife of one’s son

- 344)
No relations with the wife of one’s brother

- 345)
No relations with the sister of one’s wife

- 346)
No relations with a woman in her monthly period

- 347)
No adultery with a married woman

- 348)
For a man not to have relations with an animal

- 349)
For a woman not to have relations with an animal

- 350)
No homosexual relations

- 351)
No homosexual relations with one’s father

- 352)
No homosexual relations with the brother of one’s father

- 353)
No immodest contact that draws close to forbidden relations

- 355)
Not to have intercourse outside of formal marriage

- 356)
Not to remarry one’s divorced wife after she has remarried
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #199
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

HdM

Thank you for answering, Rabbi. So is significant anti-gay prejudice encouraged by Jewish religious authorities? Eg, vote no on gay marriage and that sort of thing? Or do they take a more "let your own conscience be your guide" stance? What about gay Jews? Are they treated differently, or told not to have any relations, or told to "convert" to heterosexuality? What about intersexed and transgendered individuals?

Science says that this kind of thing is biological hardwiring, not a choice, so that makes it ethically kind of tough to condemn people who get born that way. How does the Jewish religion handle that?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #200
TomHagen
Rabbinic Consigliere

Bolivar

Quote:
Thank you for answering, Rabbi.... Homosexuality etc... How does the Jewish religion handle that?
TanithT your questions (& responses) are very thought provoking, and also very lengthy, so you will excuse me if I refer you to sources, which are better anyway, for those who truly wish to explore (especially than my quick one-off answers).

This is the quintessential book on the subject:
Judaism and Homosexuality by Rabbi Chayim Rappaport (Vallentine Mitchell, 2004)
Being an extremely sensitive issue, Rabbi Rappaport does a brilliant job at portraying the Torah viewpoint towards homosexuality. Using a combination of Torah, medical, and psychological sources he uses an extremely empathetic tone in discussing the challenge of the homosexual as well as how the Jewish community should relate to these individuals. A brief article written by Rabbi Rappaport, “Judaism and Homosexuality”,

I hope this helps.