Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
apNgb

Default Cigar Review: Camacho Connecticut

The Cigar: Camacho Connecticut
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduras, Dominican
Origin: Honduras
Size: 6×50 Toro
Price: 134.99 per box of 25, about $6-$7 per single at a B&M

Initial Thoughts: This cigar is a change of pace from Camacho, who is typically known for the full bodied powerhouse cigars such as the Camacho Corojo, Coylar, Triple Maduro just to name a few. This cigar represents Camacho’s response to a lot of consumer requests for a milder bodied smoke from them. Personally I always love when cigar companies get out of their comfort zone because you really get to see how well, or not so well a company really is when doing something they are not accustomed to doing. As far as the cigar’s appearance goes, it is a little rough around the edges. It has a lumpy appearance and when gently pressed, has a soft spongy feel to it which is quite typical of most Camacho Cigars. There are plenty of veins running throughout but then again this is a cigar we have here, not a wooden dowel. The band is extremely nice with this cigar, just the right size and is ubber classy with gold lettering and trim over a white background.

Flavors: Right off the bat you are welcomed with a nice woody spice with an almost almondy flavor. After a few puffs the spice diminishes but still has a slight presence, but definitely not over bearing. As the second third comes, it is more of the same creamy, woody, nuttiness, and the pepper has backed way down. The flavors have such a nice balance to them and the cigar has been very enjoyable up to this point. The final third really mellows down and is much of the same, just more balance and smoothness. The body of this cigar starts off medium and backs down to mild to medium spectrum by the end of the cigar which was very nice.

Smoking Characteristics: As with most Camacho cigar I have smoked, the draw is very loose bordering on too loose. However I have learned that with Camacho cigars, you must gently draw from them and almost sip the cigar so it doesn’t smoke to hot. For this reason I would definitely say the new smoker would have to stay away from this one because most new smokers tend to puff way too hard on their smokes as if it was a contest to see how much smoke one can produce. The burn was very even, and the ash is nice and compact.

Final Thoughts: I don’t think there is any hiding my excitement of this cigar. Connecticut wrappers are usually not my thing but this is a truly a fantastic smoke that is defiantly on my list to pick up a box. Most Connecticut wrappered cigars are mild and meant for the mornings, this cigar has enough flavors that can truly be smoked any time. It is a very elegant, balanced smoke that I just can’t say enough about.

Worth a Shot: Yes, anybody will enjoy this cigar
Buy Again: Yes, boxy worthy
Enjoyablity: Very High
Similar Cigars: There isn’t really a similar cigar out there. It is like an Oliva Connecitcut reserve with more finesse and more balance. Nub Connecticut, again with more balance, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999, once again with more balance and just a lot more flavor.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cigar Review: Camacho Connecticut

Thats a sexy pic! Thanks for the review!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
GHC_Hambone

Thanks for the review. I dig Connecticut wrappers and I spied these at the B&M so I'll have to pick one up.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that review. I might have to fire up the one that I have.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thank you for the review!!!

Very nice!!!

I have one of these resting for my good friend Steve (Ratters) the Camacho Whore!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Very nice looking stick...thanks for the review. I'm going to have to add it to my list.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I picked up 3 of these to review on cigarchoice, and I am really interested.. I can't wait to smoke one tomorrow!
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
SkinsFanLarry

I think it has allot of the Camacho punch, but it is one of the smoothest cigars Camacho makes.

I guess that's what happens when the company is bought by Davidoff.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Really appreciate the review! I'm going to give one a shot first chance I get!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing...great review!!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Got one of these in a PIF, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Great review and pics!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
apNgb

I'm usually not a connecitcut guy but this cigar made me one. thanks for the comments guys I truly appreciate the support!!! I'll keep the reviews coming
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
I think it has allot of the Camacho punch, but it is one of the smoothest cigars Camacho makes.

I guess that's what happens when the company is bought by Davidoff.
Sorry to highjack, but when did this happen?

And that review makes me want to try one. Nice job brother.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review. I didn't enjoy this one but maybe its worth a third try. I found it to have an odd twang!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review. I usually don't like connies either, but will try one when I get a chance.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #16
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice review.

Thanks
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote