Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
apNgb

Default Cigar Review: La Flor Dominicana Ligero

Cigar: La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro
Wrapper: Ecudorian Sumatra Oscuro
Binder: Dominican (La Canela Farm)
Filler: Dominican (La Canela Farm)
Made In: Dominican Republic
Size: L300 (5 ¾ x 50)
Price: $25 per 5 pack; $112 per box of 24

Initial Thoughts: This is a nice and oily looking cigar. I have never seen a cigar with as much oil as this one. The cigar has some large veins running throughout but all in all a great looking cigar. The band is a new look for La Flor and I have to say I kind of prefer the older looking bands with the flower of the tobacco leaf. But all in all the looks don’t really matter to me; it’s all about the flavor. Let’s fire up this cigar and see what we get.

Flavors: The cigar starts off with a nice earthy sweetness with a little bit of pepper that is nicely balanced. As the cigar progresses through the first third I pick up sweet and salty meat flavors almost like pulled pork. The second third brings a coffee component to the table which is enjoyable. The final third was more sweet earthy flavors with a leather component. The coffee flavors faded away but I barely noticed them slipping because it was such a smooth, subtle transition.

Smoking Characteristics: The draw was a bit snug but okay, the burn was pretty wavy but nothing the torch couldn’t tackle, and the ash was a nice white-gray ash that flaked off at times. The body of this cigar was on the lighter side of full.

Final Thoughts: This was a very enjoyable cigar for me. It had a different flavor profile than what I have been smoking lately so it was a nice change of pace. The flavors had a good flow to them and the flavors slowly transitioned with this cigar.

Worth a Try: Yes, especially the full bodied smokers that are looking for something different than the Pepin-esque stuff.
Buy Again: Yes, a 5 pack will definably be in order but I wouldn’t mind getting a box of these eventually.
Enjoyablity: High
Similar Cigar Profiles: Nub Maduro, CAO LX2, Casa Magana
Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
dubnick

Default Re: Cigar Review: La Flor Dominicana Ligero

Thanks for the review

I picked one up over the weekend, a different size (Holt's exclusive), but still can't wait to try it.

Mmmm... Pulled Pork
Old 08-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Aldebaran

I'm torn on which band I like better. This one matches the cigar perfectly the older ones looked nicer.

Great review and I think the Similar profiles is something more people should add.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review!!!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote